• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficult Question Part 75649816

This happened today

me - "what is your address"
    customer "I don't remember, I just moved, I have it written down"
    *unfolds piece of paper loudly* *proceeds to read address, gets it wrong twice, giving name of street which does not exist, then finally says "oh no, I know what it is" *gives correct street address*
    me - "what date did you move on" (thinking it must be in the last few days if he doesn't even remember the street name yet)
    customer - "March 9th"

Over a month ago and he doesn't know the street name or house number?

*headdesk*
    Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

The customer could have some mental issues--Alzheimer's, for example. My 93-year-old grandmother is in a nursing home. She forgets that she lives in an apartment there...yet can remember her farm's address...where she lives from 1952 until 2006. She's been in the nursing home since 2007, yet if I take her back there after dinner, I get "is this where I live?"
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Well, I have had my cell phone for about two years, I think, and I have no idea what my phone number is. I know what most of the numbers in it are. But every time I look at it, it's like I'm seeing it for the first time.

I have to

1. Figure out a keyboard pattern
      2. Use it at least every day for a long period of time.

I don't know my husband's, either, although it's gettinhg to be vaguely familiar now. (I don't call him very often on his).

Landline has a distinct pattern, and it still took me forever, with me actively putting forth an effort every day, to memorize it.

The weird bit is that my ability to memorize text (even text in a language I don't speak) is uncanny.

Comment

I've had my cell for about 4 years. It's only in the last year that I've been able to actually remember my cell number without looking it up.

And it took about 4 months before I could remember my street address at the apartment without using a cheat sheet.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

phone spelling
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
            Quoth Site linked to
            Words made from telephone number
            867-5309
            We found these seven-letter mnemonics:
            top-5309 tor-5309
            Somehow I don't think those will help me remember the number any better than the number does.
            Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
              The guy who runs our satellite warehouse got cute with the number there, and made it spell out part of the company name.

Drives me nuts because while the letters are easy to remember, the numbers aren't, and I can never remember the actual number. And nobody who calls the main office wants to hear letters when they ask for the number.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
              X