This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Treasure View Post
    Tolkien is wordy! and the thing to keep in mind about The Silmarillion is that it reads much like the Bible.
    I personally find that I can really hear his roots in heroic sagas when reading his work, and even more so in The Silmarillion. Most of the Bible is easier to read than this (unless you're using KJV, a paraphrase, or one of the third-grade reading level versions). Of course, the stories in The Silmarillion are part of why you really feel like you're reading the old epic poems, but the feeling is just so strong there. Even more so than reading about the battle with Smaug, which is another great example of his roots showing.

Comment

The Pern books are good, but the Harper Hall books are the best of that series, in my opinion.

If you like Dresden and like high fantasy, you absolutely must read the Codex Alera, Butcher's other series, which just finished.

Another series I like to recommend is the Vorkosigan saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. Her character development is outstanding. And her Curse of Chalion series is excellent, as well.

Tanya Huff is another author I really like, but I don't recommend her as much. Although her space marine series is one I particularly enjoy.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

lol at amina!

how about something by the marquis de sade? that'll take care of most people, unless they're not 'knowledgable.'

i generally don't need recommendations; i know what i like and i go straight to it, and if something catches my eye on the way in, i check that out, too.

people who can't figure these things out probably need to learn more about themselves and read less about other things.
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          Tanya Huff is another author I really like, but I don't recommend her as much.
          My husband's complaint is that he doesn't like how every single one of her books has so much humour. To him it detracts from the suspenseful or dark parts when there's jokes. Me, I like it, but a lot of the humour is really dark.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            If you like Dresden and like high fantasy, you absolutely must read the Codex Alera, Butcher's other series, which just finished.
            I tried reading that one, but I really couldn't get into it as much as I did Dresden Files for some reason. Might go back and give it another shot, though.
            "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth Chrismor View Post
              I have to ask, as another person who has read LOTR more times then I can count...

Does anyone else, after rereading it a number of times, start skipping over some of the poetry and verse in it?

The first few times, I read it cover to cover, word for word, but after a while I started to find it a little long winded.

C.
              Walking the long road to Mordor... again.
              OHY! I even skip parts of the plot. I was not disappointed that Tom Bombadil was cut from the movie, but I was very disappointed that "The Scouring of the Shire" was cut/reworked. Different people have different favorite parts. Whatever floats your ship to the West, I guess.
              Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
              TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                I tried reading that one, but I really couldn't get into it as much as I did Dresden Files for some reason. Might go back and give it another shot, though.
                It's a lot heavier and more epic high fantasy to the Dresden pulp noir detective air. But while it doesn't really lighten up at all through the series, it does get a little easier to read, somehow.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Chrismor View Post
                  Does anyone else, after rereading it a number of times, start skipping over some of the poetry and verse in it?

Walking the long road to Mordor... again.
                  I started doing that the first time I read it after going cross-eyed during the first one. But this....

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
                  Seven for the dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
                  Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
                  One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
                  In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
                  One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
                  One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
                  In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

is still awesome!

Quoth Treasure View Post
                  As far as reading it out loud, that is the only way my mom got through Silmaril. Mom had reconstructive bone surgery on her legs (graphic - not for this thread) and as a result of the surgery was bed-bound for 3 yrs and on heavy doses of pain meds, so Dad had to read it to her, every night as part of their evening routine, and he'd read and she'd nodd off, and the next night, he'd ask her, "what is the last thing you remember?" She'd tell him, he'd flip back, sometimes as far as a chapter, and start reading again....
                  That's how I got introduced to Tolkien. My mom read "The Hobbit" to me over the summer when I was in grade school, like 3rd or 4th grade.

And as much as I wished that they had actually done the Scouring of the Shire in the LOTR movies, I can't wait for this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit_%282011_film%29

Quoth Treasure View Post
                  I have a fairly open mind about books, I'm LOVING the Hollow's series by Kim Harrison (also known as the Rachel Morgan books); Love Dresden;
                  I just finished "Dead Witch Walking". Picked it up as a freebie on my nook. Now, I really want to read the others. And yes, I'm aware this is exactly what Barnes & Noble intended.

Haven't gotten "Turn Coat" yet and just realize that two more are coming out this year. I wish SciFi hadn't canceled the TV series, it wasn't half-bad.

Quoth Treasure View Post
                  Mom - she pushes me to read a series, "oh you need to read Pern, i really think you'll enjoy it, they're great books" umm yeah, only you said the same thing about the Derini books, and I couldn't get through the 1st one... it was so boring, and I've enjoyed books that Mom was indifferent about...
                  I've tried Pern and they're ok. But, you really need to read the Sword of Truth series. I kid! I kid!
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                    Haven't gotten "Turn Coat" yet and just realize that two more are coming out this year. I wish SciFi hadn't canceled the TV series, it wasn't half-bad.
                    Changes is really good, and quite lives up to its title. I really can't wait for the stuff that's coming out in November. I just finished re-watching the series again on Netflix. It really is a shame they didn't give it a chance to develop.

^-.-^

Comment

It's because Sci-Fi, oops, excuse me, SyFy is run by a bunch of idiots.

They've had soooo many good shows that they've gotten rid of.

Dresden Files
                      Tremors
                      The Invisible Man
                      Flash Gordon
                      The Chronicle
                      and, the real crime, Doctor Who!

The only shows I watch on there anymore are "Eureka", "Warehouse 13", and "Merlin". I'm really hoping that "Riverworld" gets off the ground this time.
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                      X