This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's why it's clearance

Had a lady the other day bring a lamp base to me, marked $15, clearance price. So far, so good.
    She then tells me: it's cracked, and it doesn't come with a lampshade.
    Still par for the course here. What of it?
    "Can I get a discount?"
    Thus, the clearance price. I'm almost entirely certain it was clearanced because of the chip in it... and, call me crazy, but most lamps DON'T come with a lamp shade.
    "Can you call a manager?"
    Why, yes, yes I can, did you in fact mean to say, would you call a manager? I don't think the manager of the furniture section is here currently... but I'll call the area and get someone up here if only to get you off my back.
    He comes up, hears the story, and goes to check, check, check it out. Customer and her husband go to our coffee bar to hang out with the local whippersnappers, apparently to make them get orff the lawn.
    Coworker comes back to me, and tells me "No go on the discount."
    No, really? I never would have guessed.
    And then he goes to tell the couple, and brings the lamp back to me, in case they decide to return and buy it.
    I should also point out she was claiming the lamp would be discounted even more deeply next week, which, while it rang of truth, isn't how our store works. Not that we were going to interrupt her tirade.
    "I call murder on that!"

Wait... *blink blink* He told the customers there was no discount? Meaning he didn't just leave it to you to play the bad guy? I like this person!
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

The same thing happened to me two days ago.

We had a stroller on display and the customer wanted the display model because we'd marked it down 50%. But then she asked if we had any in a box. I told her we did but that she couldn't get the same 50% markdown on a brand new one and she just didn't get it.

She just kept saying "but i don't understand. It's the same thing and this one (pointing to display model) is just so dusty!" - hence the markdown. gah.

Comment

Quoth jjllbb View Post

We had a stroller on display and the customer wanted the display model because we'd marked it down 50%. But then she asked if we had any in a box. I told her we did but that she couldn't get the same 50% markdown on a brand new one and she just didn't get it.

She just kept saying "but i don't understand. It's the same thing and this one (pointing to display model) is just so dusty!" - hence the markdown. gah.
        LMFAO @ the stupidity of some people!!!
        Seriously... I want the display model at 50% discount, but please give me a boxed one instead, because the display model is dirty... LOL Fantastic!!!
        The LOGIC some of these people go by!

Comment

Sheesh! These idiots aren't pro shoppers at all! Ya takes yer chances, ya grabbit and GO!
          Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

I get customers all the time that want an additional off on items that are on clearance.

If something has a broken zipper and we write on the tag "Broken zipper as is" they still ask for a discount. And get mad cause they have to fix the zipper.

Some customers will say "but you won't sell it at this price, it will just sit on the floor and if you give me more money off I will buy it now"

This policy at work is something that all the managers never give in to and stick with it no matter what the customer says

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              Meaning he didn't just leave it to you to play the bad guy? I like this person!
              He's also not a manager, he was just relaying the answer given him by management...
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Plus why leave someone else the joy of telling somebody "NO!"

THAT'S a PARTY!

No, really, just the look in their eyes as they hear the word NO and start to slowly realise that's the FINAL ANSWER.

<swooon!>
                I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Quoth jjllbb View Post

/
                  Why do I think that Irv has met customers who've made a similar demand?
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

But I want it. I wwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnntttttttttt t it!
                    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I was the customer in a similar situation to this (although I hope I wasn't a SC). I was looking for a bar stool and found one I liked fairly significantly reduced in the clearance section (marked discontinued). I had pretty much decided to buy when I noticed that it rocked slightly and on closer examination noticed one of the rubber feet was missing. My father (who was playing chauffeur for me) asked the salesman whether we could get a further reduction since it was also damaged (not just discontinued - well actually I first asked if they had any of the little rubber feet to replace the missing one), and I was certainly pleased when after wandering off to ask the manager reduced it by about another 50%.

Comment

Re: display models

The wholesale club doesn't sell the display models of anything until and unless we have no more boxed models in stock and are getting no more. Only then will the display be sold, at a reduced price, of course.

We've never backed down on this, either. People have asked to be sold the display, and have always been told "No" if there were any others in stock or more on order.

'Course, we get the pests who are going to buy the display, and bitch because they don't think the price has been reduced enough (that's a manager's call), or they want to know what the original price was (sorry, once a price has been reduced, the system no longer has the original price available), or they hem and haw about Do I Really Want To Get This, and on and on until you, the retail worker, start happily daydreaming about rainbows and kittens to distance yourself from the fiery fantasies of immolating the annoying customer.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                        X