This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes... yes I do.

If I have one more person ask me if I fix computers - especially while I'm in the middle of doing just that - I am going to snap. That will result in either a brain aneurism or my being arrested.

We're a computer store. Computers is in our store name. We have computers in the front window on display.

Okay - I could see how someone might not be sure if we fix them.

But when you walk in the store and see a dozen laptops and desktops in various states of take-apartedness... maybe it would be a little obvious.

And when I'm literally UP TO MY ELBOWS IN A DISSECTED LAPTOP - that might be just a little more obvious that YES WE FUCKING FIX THEM.

I swear we get asked that at least once or twice a week. Usually while we're in the middle of fixing something. If I went to get gas and I saw a guy working on a car in pieces and he clearly was an employee there my natural indication is that they probably fix cars there, too.

Then again, I've been asked dumber questions.

I worked for a couple of sign shops for three years. The first one happened to be on the first floor of a two-story building. The second floor was a billiards hall.

In the sign shop, there was a room in the front that had dozens of sample signs. Everything from ADA-approved bathroom signs to lawn signs for contractors to street signs and more. We happened to have one sign that was designed for a billiard hall (although not the same name as the one upstairs)

And once every couple of months, we'd get someone who came in and asked, without any hint of sarcasm or jest... "Do you just make signs for pool halls?"

*facepalm*

Yes, sir, that's all. We are highly specialized in that one field. We are the masters of pool hall signage. Ignore the lawn signs for the asphalt guy and the tree removal guy. Ignore the neon sign for Joe's Pizza. And please be sure to ignore the giant banner for First National Bank. All we are capable of is putting pool hall names and logos on those signs.

I had fun designing and building signs there but, as per usual, some of the customers were total idiots.

I appreciate your frustration and am sorry to say I could be one of those customers. I don't know squat about computers. Going into a computer store essentially turns off my brain as well as common sense. I don't see you elbow deep in computer guts, I see someone who hopefully works in the store who can help me. For all I know, you're just cleaning the parts. I know it's truly terrible I become brain dead walking through your door, but if you take care of me I'll be your loyal customer from now on.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Why does the line "Heeeeere's your sign" keep running through my head?

"All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I can see myself doing it too. More as a "this is what I was going to say when I walked into the store, and I am not going to try changing it on the fly because that always ends badly" than anything else though.

Comment

"Do you fix computers?"

"No, I'm the Dexter of the computer world. This one was knowingly giving viruses to other computers."
          I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Actually, I think it's the other type of customer that drives me more crazy.

Sure - I can understand if a person isn't sure that we fix computers. It's not all that obvious.

But when you walk past our front window - which has no less than 4 desktops and laptops on display with descriptions and prices - and come in to ask if we sell computers... well, that's when my brain starts to force its way out through my ear canals.

Comment

Working...
            X