This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what a week

OK, so there have been some interesting ones this week.

you aren't funny
    As a note to would be relay users, relay operators do NOT have a sense of humor when it comes to our jobs. We take it serious as the plague. When we ask you whether or not you want another call, please respond in English (unless you are a spanish caller with a spanish speaking CA, in which case respond in spanish). If you respond to our question with the answer
    9!!
    We are not going to just assume that you are being funny and saying no in German (which btw is nein, not 9, that is neun)... when we see something like that, a 9 followed by two keystrokes that are the same key as 1, we are going to immediately begin the proceedure for verifying whether you wish to make a 911 call, managers will be called over to the station to moniter to make sure that all call proceedures are to the letter for a 911 call, and begin running your registration information through the 911 caller software to find the backdoor number to your local 911 call center.
    So thank you asshole, because you tried to be cute we just had to jump through an assload of hoops to prepare for a 911 call that you didn't even want to make.

oh, so sorry that I ratted out your cheating ass
    Another thing to know about relay operators, we will relay EVERYTHING we can make out on a call. If we hear you talking to someone in the background we will inform the deaf user that there is someone in the background. If they request us to relay what we can make out of you saying to that person in the background we will. So, don't be upset that your girlfriend just found out about the girl you are having a fling with... you don't want her to find out, don't be talking to her in the background on a relay call... don't talk to her in the background on any call, but especially don't think we will feel guilty for relaying the information of the call, you know... doing our job.

bad scammers of the week
    Sadly neither of these crossed the boundaries into meeting criteria for them to be blocked from our system (granted, we really err on the side of allowing a scammer to continue rather than blocking a legit caller).
    Bad scammer number one- Seriously, no one believes you need 35 ladders purchased on a credit card. Theoretically unusually large purchases are criteria, but none of us are going to block a user simply on those grounds... it is way too easy to justify legit reasons for those purchases (not likely reasons, but legit none the less).
    Bad scammer number 2- this guy doesn't need us to block him (which we wouldn't have enough criteria anyway), bestbuy cock blocked him as it was. As a word of advice, if you are claiming that the store near you has a problem with their OMS system and you need a different store to process it for you (of course using a stolen credit card), it is not a good idea to ask the store to call the store that is supposedly having problems to verify they have what you want in stock... trust me, the employee will ask what is wrong with the OMS that they are having people call them.
    Bad scammer number 3- this person didn't even get to make calls because I refused to register them... sorry, but if you really believed that I was going to believe "I am Christina Aguilara, but please put the false name John Smith" you must be out of your mind... at the very least you just requested we falsify information which is a big no-no... sorry, you are getting the norelay4u spiel and being sent on your way.

I want those 20 minutes back

I hesitate to post this one since technically it was the hearing user's sucky customer and not mine, but anyway... seriously dude, you had me spend 20 minutes interpreting for you to determine your bank account was off by $2 because you forgot about an ATM machine... you know, I'm not sure you should be allowed to have an ATM card.

A question for our deaf/hard of hearing forum members
    Can someone explain to me why so many people seem to have a phobia of answering machines?
    Seriously, 9 times out of 10 I get an answering machine to answer the deaf user will either ask me to redial over and over or immediately request the connection be cut. I cannot fathom what was so important for people to redial over and over but not important enough to leave a message. I can somewhat understand the people who immediately ask to disconnect, I've made calls a lot of times where I haven't felt it important enough to leave a message and just try later, but I've never redialed endlessly... if it's that important I leave a message.
    Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 05-10-2010, 06:31 AM.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post

A question for our deaf/hard of hearing forum members
    Can someone explain to me why so many people seem to have a phobia of answering machines?
    Seriously, 9 times out of 10 I get an answering machine to answer the deaf user will either ask me to redial over and over or immediately request the connection be cut. I cannot fathom what was so important for people to redial over and over but not important enough to leave a message. I can somewhat understand the people who immediately ask to disconnect, I've made calls a lot of times where I haven't felt it important enough to leave a message and just try later, but I've never redialed endlessly... if it's that important I leave a message.
    I don't think its just deaf/hard of hearing people... I've always hated leaving messages on answering machines even before my hearing started getting bad. In the odd time I do leave a message I seem to leave a garbled mess rather than a clear, concise message However, I don't constantly redial
    I have no idea why!
    Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

I get so nervous with answering machines, if I leave a message, it just comes out all wrong and makes me sound like an idiot.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

with me its i would like to give them a chance to actually talk to me so i hang up and try again once or twice then leave a message.

Comment

Got my first relay call this week...and my first relay prank.

500 icecream cones packed in dry ice.

Here's a question for you- she said the call was from 'the internet'. Is there a website that will make relay calls for you? It seems like that would be a huge target for abuse.

Comment

Quoth Sleepwalker View Post
            Is there a website that will make relay calls for you? It seems like that would be a huge target for abuse.
            Yes, there is, and it is a target of abuse, but it is getting better now that the FCC requires all users to register... most people just using it for shit and giggles won't go to that much effort and the scammers don't want to put in any information and are moving on to other means of scamming.
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

With answering machines, I think it's because there's nothing on the other end to react to, at least for me. Doesn't really explain a deaf person's reluctance, though.

Rapscallion

Comment

For me, the "answering machine thing" is mainly for family members - half the time they either don't call back, or don't check their messages, so if it's something I need to talk to them about, it's better to actually get that person on the phone.

Comment

I work satellite tech support and I got a relay call this week.

It went pretty well. I kinda kept interrupting the operator though.

I did get the customers problem solved though.

Last edited by Hermione; 05-15-2010, 04:47 PM. Reason: info

Comment

I get hang ups on answering machines all the time, and there is only very rarely a relay call involved. I only get maybe 1 relay call every 3-4 months.

But the regular calls I get, where the people can both speak and hear perfectly well (sadly, they are thinking impaired) will continously call, leave a blank 2-3 second message and hang up. Then hit redial and do it again. And again. And again.

At 2am.

Eventually the messages are no longer blank but instead full of obscenities about no one picking up the phone.

Maybe if you called once and left one coherent message you'd get help when the office opens. Just maybe!

Comment

Working...
                    X