Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

problems with returns (plus a Boss story)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with returns (plus a Boss story)

I must be lucky... I don't get the sheer volume of SC's that the regulars here get, but I do have a couple of stories to share... because of the dreaded 'return'.

The Stamp

Two days ago, a woman comes in to the store madder than a wet cat (I was away for lunch... My lucky streak continues!). The organization that she works for ordered a self-inking stamp through us and WE put the wrong address on the stamp. Now, if it is our fault, we replace it for free... but we need to be sure that it is our fault. Luckily, we keep the original order forms, plus any artwork, stapled to the bill to the stamp maker, who I will call 'F' (who is a great guy, a former pressman with the local newspaper who is retired but makes stamps to suplement his pension). So, when I get back from lunch I'm told to start digging for the original. Search through the bills for 2010 so far... nothing. Dig out 2009 and search... nothing. Dig out 2008 and search... nothing.

So, we call 'F' and see if he has any way of checking. 'F' says he'll get back to us.

'F' came in today, with a copy of the invoice with the stamp on it. Dated November 2007. Billed to another stationery store.

So Boss calls the organization to tell them to pick up their stamp and explain why we wouldn't be replacing it for free. That's when he found out something interesting... the organization had just moved. So, up until a few months ago, the address on the stamp was correct.

Yeah.

The Fax Machine

A few weeks ago, a woman brings in a fax machine to get her money back. It was bought for a business but they never use it, didn't even hook it up, etc. She doesn't even wait for us to look at it, she just leaves it on the counter, says the name of the business and says "put the credit on the account."

Well, that's not going to happen, for three reasons:

1) According to your account, that fax machine was purchased in April of 2008, WAY past the 1 year warrenty period.

2) According to your account, you've been purchasing ink for that very machine every month, so your statement of 'not used' is BS.

3) After examing the box, we have discovered a problem: The box is that of the Brother fax machine that you had purchased, but the machine INSIDE the box is a Panasonic... and from the looks of it, a Panasonic that is roughly 20 years old.

The Boss has been trying to reach the owner of the business, but no luck yet...

The Boss (a Morons in Management bonus story)

We keep a rough pricing guideline for printing jobs behind the counter, in case someone wants a rough idea on how much an order of, say, invoice books will cost. It's not exact because the price for supplies changes, but it's usually within a reasonable amount so sometimes we just charge the 'rough' price.

Today the Boss tells me that we have to redo the price list... and it goes a little something like this...

Boss: Here's the quote that the customer got (just over $200), and HERE'S the price in the book (just over $300). Do you see a problem here?

*EPG looks at the quote, then at the pricing book*

EPG: Yes.

Boss: Do you know how that happened?

*EPG looks at the quote again, then at the book again*

EPG: Yes.

Boss: Really? And how did this happen?

EPG: The person who took the job gave them a price for a job printed on 2 part NCR (that's white/yellow carbonless paper) but the job is to be printed on 3 part NCR (that's white/yellow/pink).

*Boss takes the quote, then looks at the book again, then at the quote again*

Boss: Well, whoever did that certainly wasn't paying attention to what they were doing... Who's writing is that?

*EPG looks at the quote again*

EPG: Yours.

*Boss looks at the quote again, then turns and walks away...*

"Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

The Stamp: Ahh, the old "act mad as hell and try to get something for free" routine. Glad to see they didn't get what they wanted.

The Fax Machine: What is it with scammers who actually think they can get away with stuff? If they are a legit business, they can write this stuff off on taxes anyway. :\

The Boss: Hahaha
    Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Unless that is a super-special-uber-awesome-stamp, it didn't costs THAT much. I say charge her rent that adds up to more than the cost.

Same goes for the fax machine.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
        Unless that is a super-special-uber-awesome-stamp, it didn't costs THAT much.
        Yea... do self-inking address stamps really cost that much? Yeesh, how cheap can people be? Or do I need to even ask that question on this board? lol

Comment

Today I got called to help somebody with a furniture return-- a fully-assembled dresser in perfect condition.

The reason the people were returning it: it didn't fit in the space they wanted it to go in. Mind you, we have a full-size display of this dresser on the salesfloor, and the dimensions are given on the sign.

I CAN'T BE THE ONLY PERSON WHO KNOWS WHAT A TAPE MEASURE IS AND WHAT ONE IS USED FOR, CAN I?

We ended up having to send the thing back defective. We've got no place to put the dresser on the floor to sell it.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

stupid boss pwnage: OH YEAH OH YEAH!
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              I CAN'T BE THE ONLY PERSON WHO KNOWS WHAT A TAPE MEASURE IS AND WHAT ONE IS USED FOR, CAN I?
              Nope. My very first moving out present from my Dad was a heavy-duty all-metal 25' measuring tape. It still sits on the top drawer of my toolbox, as I use it more than the other tools. Well, except for my set of non-magnetic screwdrivers for computer repairs, but that stays in my work bag.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I keep one with me in the dorms just to help with rearranging and whatnot. It's been highly useful, but I still shock people when I pull it out. Apparently a female college student having anything that remotely resembles a tool is insane

Comment

Quoth Indigo View Post
                  I keep one with me in the dorms just to help with rearranging and whatnot. It's been highly useful, but I still shock people when I pull it out. Apparently a female college student having anything that remotely resembles a tool is insane
                  Carrying a little one around in my purse along with a pocketknife that includes a screwdriver, and having a leveler application on my iPhone surprises folks, too.

Back to the topic, what possesses folks to lie about return stuff like this routinely?! Do they have a forum somewhere along the lines of "I Rip Everyone Off on a Regular Basis?"

I really would like to find out what causes people like this to think the way they do. What's going to a party with them like? Are there "how to steal successfully" workshops all over the country?!
                  Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                    She doesn't even wait for us to look at it, she just leaves it on the counter, says the name of the business and says "put the credit on the account."

Well, that's not going to happen, for three reasons:

(snip)

The Boss has been trying to reach the owner of the business, but no luck yet...
                    Hell, I'd say screw 'em. Just don't put the credit on their account. When (or perhaps "if") they notice the lack of credit and finally call your store, the reasons for said lack of credit can be explained to them. Slowly. And with small words.

[QUOTE=El Pollo Guerrera;726705]The Boss (a Morons in Management bonus story)

Boss: Well, whoever did that certainly wasn't paying attention to what they were doing... Who's writing is that?

*EPG looks at the quote again*

EPG: Yours.

*Boss looks at the quote again, then turns and walks away...*]/QUOTE]

As much as I love my boss, I have to share this one with you. Now, Boss Man is constantly giving me shit because I am blind. Not actually, technically, or legally blind, mind you, but I may very well go into the liquor room, look for Jack Daniel's, not see any, and tell him we're out of it....only to have him go in there and come out 30 seconds later, laughing, holding a bottle of Jack, and asking me how I missed the CASE of Jack in there. This happens a lot, I'll admit.

Well, one day when I was working behind the bar, he was having a meeting at the bar with some vendors. While he was doing this, in full view of him, I changed the team icons on the various tv's from the previous Sunday's football games to the upcoming Sunday's contests, as I do every week during football season.

Shortly after his meeting finishes, Boss Man says to me, "Hey, Jester, don't forget to do the tv's before you leave."
                    Me: "Already did, Boss."
                    Boss: "What? When?"
                    Me: "While you were having your meeting. In other words, right in front of you. NOW who's blind?"
                    Boss:
                    Me:

Quoth Coconut View Post
                    Yea... do self-inking address stamps really cost that much?
                    I am no expert, but I don't think they do, and I'll tell you why I think that. Back in college, I worked at the student-run but university-funded radio station. As part of management, I got generic station business cards and a self-inking stamp to put my name and title on them. Now, I can't really recall if I or the school paid for the stamp, but either way, it couldn't have cost that much. After all, state university or poor college student....do you think either of them is going to pay that much for a self-inking stamp? Really?

The only one? No. Just one of The Few. The Proud. The Measurers.

Quoth Exaspera View Post
                    Are there "how to steal successfully" workshops all over the country?!
                    Yes. They're called "political party meetings."

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      Hell, I'd say screw 'em. Just don't put the credit on their account. When (or perhaps "if") they notice the lack of credit and finally call your store, the reasons for said lack of credit can be explained to them. Slowly. And with small words.
                      There hasn't been a credit done yet. Boss is still trying to reach the owner of the business. Apparently he knows him personally...

Yes. They're called "political party meetings."
                      Or "Wall Street board meetings".

Oh, and our stamps usually cost $15-40, depending on size and if they want a special font on it.
                      "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Working...
                      X