X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Nights

I just told you we don't have it

One thing that annoys me about customers that I've been noticing a lot lately is that they tend to look for something after I say we don't have it.

Example:
    SC: "Do you have <accessory> for my ipod?"
    Me: "No, sorry. We only carry some accessories and we're out of a lot of stuff right now too."
    SC: "Oh, ok."

Then they look around the whole department for what I said we didn't have. I can tell they aren't browsing, they are actually looking for what I know we don't carry.

It's locked for a reason

These guys weren't sucky exactly. They were over by the game case and one of them asked me to unlock it.
    Me: Ok, what games did you want to see?
    Guy: Oh um, we just want to look through them so we can see the backs and see if they're two-player games
    Me: ...Ok, do you know which ones you wanted to look at?
    Guy: We wanted to just look through it
    Me: Sorry, I can't just unlock it and have people look through it. You need to know what you want to see. It's locked for a reason.

So he asked for a few games and I showed them. No other issues.

-As a side note relating to that, I cannot stand when I open the game case and people start shoving their hands inside looking through. First of all, most people move them around so the games standing up get pushed out and fall down. And people grab and mess up the order and put stuff back in the wrong spot, or they knock down the ones that are just standing on their sides.
    It's locked for a reason. I have keys, so only I can go in there. Why do people not get that?
    Half the time I'm too timid to say anything so I just glare at them.

Donations

There's a semi-famous band that started in my town, that came out of my high school a year or two before I got there. They've had a music video or two on MTV, I've heard them on the radio, and they do lots of concerts.
    Two of the members came into my department looking for something. I couldn't really help them out because they were asking for something I didn't really need to know for the department.
    Anyway, they came up to check out once they found what they needed. I asked the obligatory "Would you like to donate to x?"
    Why he couldn't just say no, I have no idea. His response was "Uh..No, sorry. Money's tight with the economy.."
    True, I don't know his money situation. No, he doesn't have to donate to anything he doesn't want to. But a "no" would've fit a lot better. Even a "I don't support that organization," would've worked.
    It just bugged me for some reason. No need to turn that into any kind of debate or anything. I just wanted to get it out.

You should know that's annoying

I helped a lady with a GPS. We had to wait for a manager for a void because it rang up wrong. While we were waiting she mentioned that she used to work at the same store in another town and asked where the kiosk was to apply for a job. I let her know. The manager came, and I finished ringing up her order.
    She paid with a credit card. The credit slip prints after the card goes through.
    She reaches over my counter to my register and ripped off the credit slip and signed it with her own pen as I was about to(angerly) hand her one.
    I waited until she signed it and I took it and put it in my till to print her receipt so she wouldn't rip something else off of my register.

I may be overreacting. But I instantly get nervous the second someone reaches over the counter for any reason without telling me. It's also part of my job to give the customer the slip to sign. I don't care that she's worked at the same store and everything is exactly the same. It's my job, let me do it.

To be fair, I've encountered some really inept employees, particularly in department store electronics sections.

Just last week I was looking through the cheap dvd bin at Zellers, where one can often find obscure but really excellent movies dirt cheap, and heard the saleslady tell a customer that they don't carry bluetooth headsets, and that she should try one of the cellphone kiosks in the mall. This particular Zellers has a glass display case with about 15 different kinds of bluetooth headsets prominently displayed near the electronics department registers.

And for the record, the salesclerk was not just screwing with the customer, she IS assigned to the electronics dept, and has been there for at least 5 months. She just completely clueless about anything even vaguely related to electronics.
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

That's because it's HBC. They really don't train their employees in what the store carries, not even at the expensive store. My sister-in-law and her husband work there, and she says that she gives customers product information by reading the sides of the box. (Of course, the customers love her for it!). And have you ever tried to find an item off a registry there? The staff can see that it's in stock or not, but have no clue where it is, and if you know the store they're not going to have a lot better luck.

Comment

I know exactly how you feel. Also work in Electronics. And yes, customers never take your word for it. If I say I don't have something, its (almost) always because we don't have it. If I have even a shred of doubt, I break out the scanner and make sure! We're not so dick-ish as to just lie (unless you're this one guy I work with, but whatever).

And no, it's not anywhere else in the store. Why would there be Big screen TVs over in Lawn and Garden?
        Follow me on Twitter! I tweet about Retail stuff. Or look for #customerssuck Also D&D and general nerdiness.

Comment

Quoth Rugsrat View Post

And no, it's not anywhere else in the store. Why would there be Big screen TVs over in Lawn and Garden?
          Have you seen the size of some of these tvs? NOW, you can drag the tv outside and watch it while cutting grass without having to struggle and seeing a small picture, great if you have a huge yard like mine that still takes 3hrs to cut with a riding lawn mower and a 5ft cutting deck.
          I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Quoth Summerfly413 View Post
            they are actually looking for what I know we don't carry.
            Had that with a kid a few days ago...
            K: "Do you have those rubber bands that are shapes?"
            M: "No."
            K: "Oh... if you did, where would they be?"
            M: *snap* "They wouldn't, as we don't have them, and have NEVER had them." So, your hypothetical question has no rational answer.
            K: "Oh."
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
              Had that with a kid a few days ago...
              K: "Do you have those rubber bands that are shapes?"
              M: "No."
              K: "Oh... if you did, where would they be?"
              M: *snap* "They wouldn't, as we don't have them, and have NEVER had them." So, your hypothetical question has no rational answer.
              K: "Oh."
              Rubber bands that are... is there even such a thing?
              Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

Comment

Quoth MrsEclipse View Post
                Rubber bands that are... is there even such a thing?
                yeah, "Silly bands" they are outlies of animals made from silicone rubber. They will stretch and can go round things like a rubber band, but when released they go back to their original shape.
                "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
                Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Working...
                X