This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are in a SCHOOL!

During the lunch break at school, the automatic doors at the main entrance shut themselves off. Only members of staff with pass-keys can open them or whoever is behind the receptionist desk. This is so the school can monitor any of the kids who decide to go out for lunch. If they choose to go out, they have to sign in and out.

I don't have a pass-key yet, so if I want to get out during lunch, I have to ask the receptionist to let me out. Today I was leaving the school, and as I approached the entrance, I noticed that a parent was heading out with me. The receptionist was in the other room on the phone (I could see her from where I was stood) and there was also a small group of kids who were signing their names so they could go out for lunch.

The parent walked up to the automatic door, and he was shocked when it did not open for him. He turned to me.

Sucky Parent: How do you get out of here?
    Me: Oh, the receptionist has to let you out, but she's on the-
    SP: FOR FUCK'S SAKE!

The SP went up to the desk, and started banging on the little bell as hard as he could, scaring the group of kids.

SP: HELLO?!?! HELLO?!! LET ME THE FUCK OUT! FUCKING HELL!
    Me: She's just on the phone! Please control your language in front of the children!
    SP: Well I want to get out! I'm wasting my lunch break here! Fucking hell!

The receptionist hung up the phone and walked out.

R: Excuse me!?! Was that you I heard while I was on the phone?
    SP: Yes! Let me out!
    R: How dare you use that kind of language in front of students!
    SP: I will speak however the fuck I want!
    R: So you're *random students* father then? I think I will pass this information on to the head teacher!
    SP: Ooooo, what's she going to do? Expell my son?
    R: No, but she will get an order and have YOU banned from the premisis.
    SP: Just let me the fuck out.
    R: With pleasure!

R let him out. She then checked all of the kids who were signing out, and sent them on their way. R is a good friend of my mum, so we had a chat about what happened.

R: He came in here about five minutes before you came down, screamed that he had *random students* lunch, and that he was in a hurry! I had his son meet him just outside the reception, and I turned away for about a second! Next thing I know, he is battering the bell!

I realised something today. Parents are not customers. They can't exactly ask to see the manager, and they can't really demand to have someone fired for being "rude".

I think I am going to like being a teacher

His language is a great example for the kids. :-p
    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Nice choice of words for the kiddies, idiot!
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
        His language is a great example for the kids. :-p
        I saw a man at work the other day say to his (appeared to be about 4 year old) kid: "If you keep acting like that, you ain't getting shit for your birthday!"
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

The amount of time I have dealt with abusive parents is amazing... one collared me and got a shock when I defended myself.

Comment

I'm a little freaked out here (being moderately claustrophobic and afraid of being trapped). How the heck would you all get out if there was a fire or other emergency?

Comment

Kink, I'm guessing the doors are set to automatically unlock in case of fire/other emergency. That's how most schools are around here, anyway. As for the guy in the OP...Wow. Father of the Year, that one. Note the sarcasm.
              "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

They're automatic doors. I suspect by locked CMRL means the automatics are turned off, rather than the physical locks thrown. The controls should also be hooked into the fire alarm system so that if the alarm goes off the doors turn on. If the controls are dead then there's no power to the door motors either so you should be able to slide them open.
                ludo ergo sum

Comment

It sounds very much like the receptionist is within sight of the door.... or, at the very least, knows to open it if the fire alarm goes off!
                  Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I'm in the same situation as you CRML; soon, I too will be a teacher and won't have to kiss up to "customers" i.e. parents anymore! All those times I had kids screwing around in my store, making messes, etc, I can yell at them without fear for my job or pissing off their cougar mothers.

Parents like the one in the OP are sad examples for sure. I hope I never encounter any like that once I start teaching, but alas, I'm certain I will....

And yes, fire alarms generally are wired to any automatic doors to trigger them open. The whole security thing is to keep guys like Allen from The Hangover out of the schools.
                    Here's your sign...

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                      Kink, I'm guessing the doors are set to automatically unlock in case of fire/other emergency. That's how most schools are around here, anyway. As for the guy in the OP...Wow. Father of the Year, that one. Note the sarcasm.
                      My guess would be that they are magnetic locks, without electricity they open freely, so it would not take much to set the alarms to cut the power to the doors, or if there is a power outage, once again, power is cut to the doors, and the magnetic locks disengage.
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                        My guess would be that they are magnetic locks, without electricity they open freely, so it would not take much to set the alarms to cut the power to the doors, or if there is a power outage, once again, power is cut to the doors, and the magnetic locks disengage.
                        That's pretty much it. Fire alarm goes off, doors automatically open. Power is cut, the doors can be easily slid open. Plus there are all the regular fire doors and exits.

Comment

I would think that the worst thing about working in education would be dealing with the parental units.

Comment

CRML - if you and the receptionist are willing to make a statement you'd have a decent chance of having him convicted an offence under Sec.5 Public Order Act.

Just sayin'
                            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Language, yep. I had a father shout at the top of his voice just behind my till (I'm guessing his child was about 5) "We've been in here all this time and all he's chosen is a lollipop??"
                              The customer I was serving looked at me and I just knew we were both thinking - "Classy."
                              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Working...
                              X