This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth seigus View Post
    You work for the state and don't get paid vacations? That seems odd to me. Are you a contractor?
    No, I am not. I am a college student. Because we're not full time and only work for up to 3 months, there's really no point. They are fine with us taking days off and all, it's just we don't get paid for those hours.

And thank you all for the blister tips, they are doing better already. The sunburn on the other hand......ouchie! But thankfully the next 5 days are cloudy and rainy, so it will get a small reprieve.

And no, he wasn't kidding about the shoulder thing. His face read completely serious.

And yes, people will try to delibrately hit us with trash or even their cars. Round here, people don't like state workers because they we're lazy and living off the state for doing nothing. Oh how wrong they are.
    Just because they serve you, doesn't mean they like you. And just because they smile and act polite doesn't mean they aren't planning to destroy you.

"I put the laughter in slaughter."

Comment

High SPF, sweat-wicking clothing.

You may be able to get sweat-wicking vented work shirts and pants from your local Big Box Department store. (look in the men's clothes departments.) This stuff is as tough as overalls, high SPF, and surprisingly cool to wear. I use it gardening.

These are the 'workcool' clothes from King Gee.

(For other high-SPF stuff, you can get clothes like this.)

(Note: I'm not advocating the specific brands - they're just examples of the types of clothes I'm recommending.)

Using an industrial grade weedwhacker, you should be in work boots, long heavy duty pants, long-sleeved heavy duty shirt, work gloves and UV-protective safety glasses. And a hat.

Add zinc barrier cream on your face and the back of your neck, and that should protect you from sunburn. Sure, the zinc cream will make you look like you came from Pandorica (or it will if you use the blue and black colours!), but it'll keep you safe.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Tithera View Post
        Round here, people don't like state workers because they we're lazy and living off the state for doing nothing. Oh how wrong they are.
        Oh, how I feel your pain...
        Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Wow, jobs like that exist? Around here, the state will use the best-behaved inmates from the local small jails to mow the sides of the roads. Always a sheriff not far off, either... And I think people are more worried about the DEER flying out at them as they drive down the near-by small highway to not even bother with the inmates

I just wish Mother wouldn't sing "Workin' on the chain gang" when we pass them...

At least for the sunburn that's already there, buy an aloe plant(A good, large one...), the leaves when you cut them off will ooze out a cooling liquid that does wonders on burns ~ Back in high school, I took a horticulture class at a local tech center, and the cooking classes would often come knock on our door asking for a bit of aloe. I think we kept those plants around JUST for them and the welding class...
          Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Quoth Tithera View Post
            "You stupid kids, get off my----er, their lawn!"
            In it's place is a very wet and pissed off looking woman, in a very small bikini with her hands on her hips. She looked to be about late 20's or early 30's.
            *snip*
            5'2, blonde woman, doesn't look to be more than 115 lbs with a bikini and flip flops.
            This thread could use some pictures.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

In the Scouts when we would go on trail hikes they had us wear 2 pairs of socks. Since we typically hiked in winter it was some thin poly or cotton socks with woolen socks over that. Something about the socks rubbing against one another more that your foot rubbing against the sock.
              Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Just to add to SirWired's blister tips -- yes, sterilise the needle with a flame if you have to, but NOT a cigarette lighter. The fluid it uses is bad to have in your body. The best way to sterilise a needle is to submerge it in a bowl of alcohol.

As for sunburn -- living in Australia, we get our fair share. Prevention is better than the cure, so don't be cheap. Buy the most expensive sun cream available. Make sure it has UVA and UVB protection. Make sure it is waterproof at least 4 hours. Slather it on every portion of exposed skin. Apply one coat, let dry, and apply another coat. Do this 10 minutes before you go out into the direct sunlight. I used to be a door-to-door salesperson, and that involved a lot of billion degree days out in the Australian sun, which, if you did not know, is 5 fucking feet from your head. Never skimping on sun cream spared me a time or two.

When you DO get a bad sunburn, drink heaps of water. You're probably dehydrated. There is a spray here in Oz called "After-Sun Spray", which is a nice way of putting, "You're Crispy and Crunchy and Desperate for Relief Spray". Spray this on yourself every few minutes when you're at home and hurting. It's especially good for the face. Instantly cooling. For the rest of the body, I know this sounds weird, but get some tomatoes and cut them into slices. Lay them on the sunburn, and that will take the sting out. Aloe Vera, which was already suggested, also works well.

I know a lot of Australians swear by more ruthless methods of curing sunburn, like taking the most burningly hot shower you can possibly stand and directing the spray onto your sunburn. This apparently hurts like hell, but heals the sunburn faster. I have never done this, I'm too much of a chickenshit. :P My husband has, though, and he says it's the best method, by crikey.

Keep safe out there -- people are assholes to those who do most of their work outside. It's tough stuff, and you should be proud of yourself. Most of those dicks in their air-conditioned cars throwing their trash at you wouldn't stand ten minutes. <3

Comment

Another sunburn tip is to rub vinegar on the burn. It helps take the heat off. Makes you smell like a pickle, but dangit, it feels soooooo much better. Also, slather with a good moisturizing lotion to keep blistering and peeling to a minimum.
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Aloe Vera. It's a moisturizing agent, and that's how sunburns work, by removing the moisture from the skin.
                    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                    X