This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new low in book containers.

I believe I may have posted this before but I'll rehash here anyway.

When people bring in books to sell, one can get a pretty good idea of the quality of the books by the container they bring them in. From best to worst.

Scenester/Yuppie grocery store bag like Trader Joes or Whole Foods
    Store bags with squared off bottoms and string handles
    Cardboard Box (excluding those that baby paraphernalia came in)
    Big purses.
    Plastic tubs
    Plastic Laundry baskets
    Luggage
    Garbage bags (I believe the UK term is "bin liners")

I just experienced a new low. I took a picture but apparently this site only allows links to pictures that are hosted elsewhere. If people really want to see a picture I'll find hosting and post a link, but for now a prose description will have to do.

First off a guy calls and says that the books are all in unread condition, That sounds promising, so I ask him about what subjects they are and he replies that he has books on everything. I fucking hate that. No one has books on everything so I tell him I need to know to know the actual subjects and he says that he has both fiction and non-fiction, clearly establishing his credential as a moron.

Having determined that I'm not going to get any useful information over the phone from this guy I tell him that I can't promise anything but if he brings them in I'd be more than willing to look at them, in the most discouraging tone I can muster, hoping he won't show.

Curses foiled again. He shows and he succeeded in adding to the list of the worst containers to bring books in.

Only a picture can do it justice.

[Yay, I found hosting before I even finished the prose.]

http://www.healeyopolis.com/2010-06-04%2013.29.53.jpg

I had to snap this picture really quickly so the phone/camera didn't have enough time to focus.

The books were all beat to hell genre fiction, and he only made it worse by warping them them in a mangy blanket and dragging it down the street.

So, at the bottom of the above list you can now add "Mangy pink blanket".
    Last edited by Ree; 07-02-2010, 10:33 AM.

I wonder what he thinks his definition of "unread condition" means?
    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

I don't doubt for a second that he's never read those books, or any others for that matter.

Q: Would an encyclopedia count as a book on everything? How about a book about Zen Buddhism?

Maybe it's just the picture quality, but it looks to me like he's got some sort of lesion on his right arm. The location of which, couple with the description and circumstance make me suspect he's a heroin addict.
      Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Oh I see, he meant unread by him!
        Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

What is wrong with plastic tubs? Do they make my book addiction show?

Plastic Tubs- the track marks of the sci fi world.

Comment

I weep for those poor, defenseless books. Especially if any of them are paperback.
            "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth Sleepwalker View Post
              What is wrong with plastic tubs?
              I have no idea. The container-quality correlation is just that. I've not been able to figure out the reasons behind it.

Comment

Ok, i feel bad that i know this, but i will just about bet that he got those books from another location of a store much like yours that buys used books - He dumpster dived for those, and then took them to another location, to see if he can get any money there - He will most likely go around to the dumpster, and do the same thing again - and it may be for gas/food money or drugs/alcohol.
                I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Poor, poor books. Poor poor blanket.
                  Last edited by Ree; 07-02-2010, 10:34 AM.
                  Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

"Open that bundle, Old Joe, and let me know the value of it. Speak out plain. I'm not afraid to be the first, nor afraid for them to see it. We knew pretty well that we were helping ourselves before we met here, I believe. It's no sin. Open the bundle, Joe."

Comment

Not quite the right time of the year for Christmas Carols .

Comment

I see some of Anne McCaffrey's Pern books in the lower left corner. LOL

My books are generally mint or near-mint... I HATE breaking the binding and folding pages is NOT allowed on my books. So when I get rid of books they're usually in awesome condition. And boxed up because I had extra boxes from moving and I don't shop at trader joes or whole foods. LOL
                        "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

Working...
                        X