• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pink Shirt Guy and Other Tales

A couple from tonight.

The Adventures of Pink Shirt Guy
    Not really sucky, more just confusing.

Pink Shirt Guy (PSG here on out) is a regular at our store. He's a little weird. Really jumpy, kinda walks funny, forgets what he's saying mid-sentence and can't follow conversations well. Having him ring out on SCO is always an experience.

So anyway, he comes up with a cart load, and rings up most of it, pays, and then comes over with some canned vegetables (aisle 5), produce (it's own area), paper towels (aisle 10), drink mixes (aisle 7), bread (aisle 1), and clearance hot chocolate mix (clearance section is also it's own area); and dumps all this stuff into the aisle 12 reshelf basket before leaving.

I start putting it all in the right baskets, and just when I get done, PSG returns and informs me that he missed his bus, so he'll be buying the rest of his shopping. I fail to see the connection between his transportation issues and completing his shopping, but whatever. I help him find his items (except the bread, which he still didn't want), and he dumps it all back into the Aisle 12 basket, grabs that, and wanders off.

He's gone for about 15 minutes, then finally returns with a regular cart, having left the return basket somewhere during his trip. He's added nearly a full cart of frozen breakfast sandwiches now, and after ringing them all up, he needs me to void them off until his total is under $33. No, $30. Wait, no, $33. And he finally settled on $30. Which meant taking about half of the sandwiches off.

So he finally rang those up and paid, then... handed me back pretty much everything he'd decided not to get before, except the clearance items. He bought those.

A bagger eventually found the aisle 12 return basket. Another customer was using it for her shopping.

Shove It In the Trash!
    About 10:15, so a lot of staff are gone (though one stayed an hour past the end of his shift to help due to a no-show, but more on that in Cursing Out Coworkers when I get around to it), and more importantly, we're generally packing things up for the night. Of particular importance, the office (where we handle returns, money orders, check cashing, etc) closes at 9. Once 9 hits, no more customers can come up, and as soon as those in line are served, the till is pulled.

Like I said, it's over an hour past that when this happens.

SC: (approaches me while I'm watching SCO, carrying a bouquet of wilted flowers) Hi, I got these just yesterday and they already look like this. Is there any way I can do a return?
    Me: (Knowing the office is closed, but also that they sometimes make an exception for a simple return and use a regular register for it) Well, I think the office is closed up, but you can talk to F there and see what she can do for you.

Long story short, F tells SC that the office is closed, there'd be no money to give her anyway, etc. Soon, SC interrupts and goes ballistic.

SC: Well if you can't help me, then I might as well just SHOVE THEM IN THE TRASH! (She turns and slams them down into a trash can.) THERE! Just SHOVE THEM IN THE TRASH and FORGET ABOUT IT! (And she stomps out.)
    F: Well, I was about to explain her options, but if she's gonna be like that...
    » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

It means, if he's missed his bus, he may as well pass the time by shopping until he can catch the next one. I've done the same thing.

He sound disabled, because I see some of myself in him, deciding that I don't want something, making decision that others find chaotic.

As for the flower-wilter, she's just a smelly old weed!
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
      It means, if he's missed his bus, he may as well pass the time by shopping until he can catch the next one. I've done the same thing.
      I'm not sure. What he did was to ring up all but about a dozen items, stop to hand them over to us, then come back in and tell us he'd missed his bus so he'd be buying those dozen items he'd had before.

He didn't wander off to shop until a few minutes after that.

Thus my confusion.
      » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

Working...
      X