This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have no sense of humor!

So an old, fat guy wearing American-flag pajama bottoms which were two sizes too small for him walks into my line. During our bizarre conversation I could never tell if he was joking with me or not. His tone of voice was dead serious but what he was saying was just so off the wall I didn't know how to react:

PJs: So do you have any money on you in case I'm short?
    Me: I'm sorry?
    PJs: Will you pay for me if I don't have enough?
    Me: Oh ha ha sorry, afraid not.
    PJs: Well, I guess you're not good for anything then.
    Me:

I ring him out. The order comes to $9.67. He hands me the 67 cents.

PJs: Hey, just punch $9 into the system.
    Me: Absolutely not. You owe nine dollars.
    PJs: Well, you're awfully pushy!
    Me:

PJ man gives me a ten.

PJs: Well I'll be getting 100 dollars back in change then.
    Me: Your change is $1. Have a good day. Goodbye.

As he's leaving.

PJs: [sarcastically] You know, you have an excccellllentttt sense of humor!

Geeze Crazy PJ Guy. The whole "I'm poor joke" wasn't particularly a hoot to begin with. What made you think that extending it for the entire duration of me checking you out was going to win me over?

When I was a cashier & some moron tried to joke around with me, I'd just continue what I was doing. Then they'd tell me that I had no sense of humour. I so wanted to tell them that I wasn't there for their personal amusement.

Comment

*after he hands you the ten*

Oh, I'm sorry sir, you're still 5 dollars short. See, now both of us can be hilaaaarious.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Some people can tell a joke. They spin a funny story like Bill Cosby or George Carlin, or make a wisecrack like Bob Hope or Groucho Marx. Thing is, you can tell they're being funny. It's in the voice and the expression.

Stony face and dead serious voice do not create humor. Saying mean things to someone and then trying to wiggle out of trouble by saying, "I'm only joking! Gee, get a sense of humor!" is not being funny, it's being a jerk. And deep down, they know they are being jerks.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Sometimes, if people bother me with jokes or being truly annoying, I counter with Dorothy Zbornack lines.
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth dbblsanta View Post
            PJs: [sarcastically] You know, you have an excccellllentttt sense of humor!
            "Yes, I know. Thank you... By the way looooove the pants!

Comment

"I do have an excellent sense of humor. That's why I didn't laugh at your abysmal attempts at being funny."
              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

One of my faves from Men in Black:

Beatrice: You here to make fun of me too?
                Kay: No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?
                Beatrice: Sure.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I have a very straight face when I joke. I'm told it can be confusing.
                  I guess that's what's going on here?
                  It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                  -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                    Sometimes, if people bother me with jokes or being truly annoying, I counter with Dorothy Zbornack lines.
                    I'm not ashamed to say you're my favorite right now.

Also, you can joke about a lot of things in a cashier line, but money isn't one of them. Especially not dead-pan humor.
                    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

"Sorry, I'm not allowed to have a sense of humour at work. It's against company policy."
                      "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Working...
                      X