This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ... What?

I sell cameras at an electronics store. A large part of my job is educating customers on the differences between cameras and what the features actually do. I don't like letting a customer walk away with a camera they don't understand, because that generally means at least one return trip for them with questions and/or complaints. I try to nip it in the bud, but there's only so much I can do.

Yesterday, a customer approached me as I was finishing up with another customer. SC tried to butt in as I was explaining our return policy to the customer before her, but I told her I'd be with her in a minute. A whole minute and thirty seconds later, the previous customer leaves and SC plops her stuff down on the counter in front of me.

SC: Finally! I can't believe how long it takes to get service here!
    Me: Sorry about that m'am. How can I help you?
    SC: You people sold me a camera that doesn't work! I can't take pictures at all!
    Me: Oh dear, well, can I take a look at the camera and see what's going wrong?
    SC: Now hold on a minute missy, I haven't told you what the problem is yet! You're moving too fast! You've gotta listen to me!
    Me: Okay, so what is the problem?
    SC: The window is just black. I can't see nothin' when I look in it.
    Me: You mean the viewfinder? Okay, that could be a big problem. What type of camera did you buy?
    SC: This damn Canon piece of bull. It's useless to me. Useless!
    Me: Alrighty... Well, can I take a look at the camera?

So she pulls the camera box out of the bag and hands it to me. It is a Canon model that doesn't have a viewfinder (like 90% of the cameras today), so I'm slightly puzzled.

Me: M'am, this camera doesn't have a viewfinder. Do you mean the screen on the back isn't showing anything?
    SC: No! The stupid extending viewfinder doesn't work! I can't see anything!
    Me: Uhm, this camera has no extending viewfinder. Can you show me how you're trying to take pictures?
    SC: Are you dumb? Like this, obviously!

She turns the camera on, the lens extends out and she holds it up to her eye. Yeah, that's right, she's trying to look through the lens.

Me: Well... In fact, you've got the camera backwards. The piece you're looking through is actually the part that takes pictures. If you turn the camera around, you should be able to see everything on the screen on the back.

SC turns the camera around and gasps, then begins to smile.

SC: Well, this is MUCH better! Look at that picture! Oh my, it's just beautiful! But this was your fault. You should tell people how to use a camera before you let them walk away with them! I'm going to be calling your manager!

And with that, she grabs her bag and walks out of my department, leaving me to try to pull my brain out of my nose with a pair of pliers.

um what just happened?

Cameras are a new thing right? How did she not blind herself? and if she can't work a camera, how in the hell is she possibly operating a car!?!?!?!?

Now I have to find my brain again. I had just found it after the free tv thread. Here brain, I have some nice soccer and beer for you. *walks off calling for her brain*
    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

She's never used any kind of camera before this one?!
      Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

LOL!!! i wonder if she got any good close-ups of her eye?
        there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

WOW, um, WOW.... wait, what? Seriously? can I get an age check? I'm really hoping this is someones grandparent who has NO idea about this new fangled technology and "back in my day we just called the local portraitist who would come with his paints and we made a day of standing outside sweating as he made the image of the family on some canvas"...." AND THATS HOW IT SHOULD BE TODAY DAMN IT I WALKED UP HILL BOTH WAYS TO SCHOOL WITH NO SHOES!!!!!!"

Or is this a person who should have been of reasonably sound mind, and figured out IDK how to aim the camera? I mean sure some of them have TONS of options but all a basic point and shoot. Accidentally put an Exs camera into debug mode screwing around with it once.
          I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

I find that classic!

At least she wasn't demanding free stuff.

Comment

Come on now. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work a camera, even the newer ones today. Hell, my mom knows how to use our digital camera, granted she doesn't know all the nifty features with it but she does know how to turn it on and take a picture.
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

You should tell people how to use a camera before you let them walk away with them! I'm going to be calling your manager!
                What I would give to be in the department for that conversation.

SC: Your employee never showed me how to use this camera!
                Manager: What do you mean?
                SC: She should've told me I was holding it backwards the whole time!
                Manager: ...heh-heh... HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
                My other car is a Mackinaw.

Comment

I'll bet the manual has pictures showing what the front of the camera looks like. Of course, being an SC she doesn't know how to read.

Comment

Mind-boggling.

Better yet, though, is the fact that none of her friends or family apparently thought to correct her picture-taking technique. Nobody buys a fancy new camera without showing it to *someone*, especially if they think there's a problem with it. So, either she has nothing but cavemen for friends & family, or they set her up.

I'd like to hope it was a set-up, but I don't think her response supports that.
                    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Wow. I'd expect there to be a hidden camera around somehwere!!!
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth the_std View Post
                        You should tell people how to use a camera before you let them walk away with them! I'm going to be calling your manager!.
                        With that kind of logic, I guess we should be making sure people know how to turn on a computer before they bring it home, too?

Comment

That woman as a moron and a bitch if she really complains about her own stupidity. You were nice and helpful. I hate people who do that. Did you pre-warn your manager about her being a stupid cow who just wants to make someone else take the fall or her stupidness?

Comment

Quoth Saphire089 View Post
                            With that kind of logic, I guess we should be making sure people know how to turn on a computer before they bring it home, too?
                            Do computer sales people know how to do that?

When I first looked at PC computers, some 30 years ago, I couldn't get any of the sales people to tell me how to use one, or even what the difference was between an 8088, 8086 or 80286 computer. A PC ended up being the third computer I bought, after a TI99/4A and an Apple //e. Everything I know about them has been self taught.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

SC: Are you dumb? Like this, obviously!
                              what's sad is that it never occurred to her to apologize to you for calling you dumb.
                              especially when you went out of your way to help her without treating her like she was stupid

Do computer sales people know how to do that?
                              i've met some who probably couldn't.
                              but that's for another post =p
                              Last edited by PepperElf; 07-07-2010, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X