This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Rolls On...

So today was a nightmare and a half but it did make time go a lot faster. Some moron decided this was their time to DIE...or at least get seriously injured because they plowed right into one of our electrical towers on my work side of the river today. Around 3:30 to 4:00 all the lights in the C-store flickered and then, as you know, there was the very depressing sound of all the electrical things in the store leaving us for a while.......fffeeeeuuuuuuuuwwwwww....you know. Turned out to be rolling blackouts throughout the entire city.

I immediately raise my hand and say to all the customers in the store, who are much like frightened mice at this point, that I can still ring them up but they'd better get their asses up to the register NOW.

Gas cannot be pumped. You need power for that. However my register will stay on for a good 15 minutes on backup. These are a few of the lovely gems I aquired from this.

No...Just Because No.

Me: Hey, will this be it?
    SC: No, I need ten powerball.
    Me: *facepalm* The lottery machine is off.
    SC: I thought you said your register was up.
    Me: The lottery is totally separate from my register, they're two very different entities.
    SC: I didn't know that...
    Me: I see.
    SC: So you can't get me lottery tickets.
    Me: No.
    SC: Because the power is out.
    Me: Yes.
    SC: But you can ring this out?
    Me: Yes, our registers are on backup power.
    SC: But not the lottery?
    SC: So...what CAN you do.
    Me: ......ring stuff up.
    SC: Can you do credit cards?
    SC: That's funny.
    Me: I know, now are you finished? I only have 15 minutes and there are other people here.
    SC: Oh...yeah I guess so, if you can't print me LOTTERY TICKETS. *SIGH*
    Me: Good, NEXT.

Gas is Nice, but YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY.

Note: Our street light was the only one in the city that could work according to the Fire Police. Reason was because it's not hooked up to the same grid system, it's actually run through the Railroad company because it's a Railroad crossing.

CW: I'm sorry, Sir, but our power is out you can't pump gas here.
    SC: What?! WHY IS YOUR POWER OUT?!
    CW: I don't know, Sir, the power is out all over the place.
    SC: BUT YOUR STOP LIGHT IS WORKING!
    CW: *stares up at stop light, which is indeed working* So?
    SC: YOU HAVE TO HAVE POWER!
    CW: Excuse me? I'm sorry sir but you can try all you like to get gas but it ain't gonna work, we don't have any power here.
    SC: I can't believe this, WHY THE FUCK DON'T YOU HAVE POWER?
    CW: Sir, I don't know why, we just don't. It's not our fault. I don't know why our stoplight is working but it has nothing to do with us. We do not have power, you cannot get your gas, I'm sorry.

Lack of Planning on Your Part.........

Guy comes in, wants gas. He'd waited until his Fuel Low light came on before going to a gas station. Every gas station in the entire city couldn't pump gas. I gave him the phone numbers for the three closest C-stores in my chain and even told him that there was a direct competitor down the street. No one had power. He ended up waiting there until our power came back but he whined the ENTIRE TIME that this ONLY HAPPENS TO HIM. Augh, get a clue, bucko, you're not the only dumbass.

Ring Ring

Me: Thank you for calling *C-Store* on *street* how may I help you?
    SC: Do you have power?
    SC: *click*
    Me: .......right.

THEN, the power comes back on. Mmmmmuuuuuuuueeeeewwwwaaaaahhhhh!!! Praise the Flying Spaghetti Monster! However we were the ONLY store to have power within a three mile radius. So I did over 5000 dollars on my drawer alone because people created a rush to our store and our store alone.

Ring Ring II

Me: *spiel*
    SC: Do you have power?
    SC: *click*
    Me: .....You're welcome?

Thank you for informing me.

He wasn't much of an SC, he was just a bit dense. He didn't really get that we CLOSE when there's no power and we just sit around and clean stuff and check temps when we close.

Dimwit: You guys are the ONLY people with power, you're really lucky!
    Me: No...no we're not. You...you people, you're the lucky ones.
    DW: What?
    Me: I would have preferred the lights stay off.
    DW: Why? You've got AC!
    Me: Actually our AC is broken, it just feels cooler in here because people keep opening the freezer doors and cooler doors.
    DW: Oh. Well...you're still lucky.
    Me: No...you are.
    DW: Why do you want the power off?
    Me: ...I plead the fifth.
    DW: *walks out the door still confused*

fffeeeeuuuuuuuuwwwwww....
    Mmmmmuuuuuuuueeeeewwwwaaaaahhhhh!!!
    Great sound effects!!

So what happened to the guy, did you ever find out?
    Last edited by Exaspera; 07-08-2010, 03:53 AM. Reason: typo
    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Thank...whatever deity or monster you wish to thank...that i haven't gone through such horrors during the few, brief outages I've seen at the c-store I work at! It is mindboggling how people's me-me-me mentality can take over!
      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
        Great sound effects!!

So what happened to the guy, did you ever find out?
        The guy who wanted to get gas and thought that we'd have power simply because our stop light had power left in a huff and I suppose went to go see if another C-Store had power. Obviously he was very unlucky because if he'd stayed he would have gotten his gas, we turned out to be the only C-Store open after that. Haha. Unbeknownst to us, he could have just waited 45 minutes.

The OTHER guy was forced to wait as I stated because he literally could not drive his car anywhere. I consider him stupid, but lucky in that regard.

Comment

At my call center, we PRAY for power outages. But not just a regular power outage, the ones that screw the lines and take out our phones. You see, if the phones stay on, and all the computers go off, you have to pretend nothing is wrong and keep taking calls, writing stuff down. The phones went kablooey once and we hung out for 4 hours. It was AWESOME.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
            The guy who wanted to get gas and thought that we'd have power simply because our stop light had power left in a huff and I suppose went to go see if another C-Store had power. Obviously he was very unlucky because if he'd stayed he would have gotten his gas, we turned out to be the only C-Store open after that. Haha. Unbeknownst to us, he could have just waited 45 minutes.
            These people that blamed YOU for the power outage were probably the same customers who blamed ME for the Icelandic volcano ash that cancelled many European flights.

Ain't it great that two service workers (such as ourselves) have the power to disrupt the world in such a way?
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
              He ended up waiting there until our power came back but he whined the ENTIRE TIME that this ONLY HAPPENS TO HIM.

why was this the first thing that popped into my head......
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                Ain't it great that two service workers (such as ourselves) have the power to disrupt the world in such a way?
                Yep, the customers assume we're psychic, can time travel, produce anything and everything out of thin air, have TARDISes for back room and can control the weather, all for minimum wage. And yet, we're lesser beings than they are.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  Yep, the customers assume we're psychic, can time travel, produce anything and everything out of thin air, have TARDISes for back room and can control the weather, all for minimum wage. And yet, we're lesser beings than they are.
                  Too true! I wanna ask them, "If I have the power to make a volcano explode and ground half of Europe, why are you talking down to me as if I'm dogshit on your shoe?"
                  "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Had a power outage at my C-store once.
                    The funny part about it was that our side of the big street in front of us...the whole length of the street was out, only on one side.

there were no c-stores or gas stations on the working side of the street, on that whole corridor of it.

People would come to the door and see "Power Out, CLOSED" and still tap on the door and want to get in and get a pack of ciggys. GEEZ.

Cutenoob
                    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post

C'mon guys. You should only use your powers for Good!
                      My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post
                        C'mon guys. You should only use your powers for Good!
                        Like teaching SC's a lesson! Oh. Wait a minute.

Comment

Well I just enjoy that everyone thinks I can read their damn minds. Today some chick came in and spoke to me like I was a tard that she wanted Marlboro Menthols but she wanted the ones that were 4.59. I told her we didn't have any specials today and she was pointing at the seventy-twos. I said, "The 72s?" and she was like "Yeeeaaaahhh!" Like I was three years old.

w. t. f. Honestly.

I like to tell people off very subtly like, "Oh, the last time I read minds someone got hurt." So they know they're ignorant without me telling them directly.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                            I like to tell people off very subtly like, "Oh, the last time I read minds someone got hurt." So they know they're ignorant without me telling them directly.
                            That's a good one!

I get customers asking me when an item is going on sale. Like they ask me what should go on sale, and when? I think next time, I'll say, "If I had the ability to see the future, I would've won the Powerball ages ago!"
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                              That's a good one!

I get customers asking me when an item is going on sale. Like they ask me what should go on sale, and when? I think next time, I'll say, "If I had the ability to see the future, I would've won the Powerball ages ago!"
                              HAH! We do that with when we print out the tickets, they ask for a winning one and we tell them one of many things:

"If we could print them, we wouldn't be selling them."
                              "Pooped by a unicorn, that one."
                              "Would you like me to kiss it?"
                              "If I could do that, I wouldn't be working here."
                              "I already created and bought the winner so you're out of luck there."
                              *magic fingers* "Ooooooh...aaaaaaaah....shiiiiiiiinnnnnyyyy tiiiiickeeeettt!!!"

That last one I did to a very surly looking man and he never came back. Fancy that.

Comment

Working...
                              X