This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one of my favourites (again)

sc :i bought these glasses from you about 2 months ago and theyve broken (obviously they are more like 18 months old)
    cwh dear,may i have a look at them?
    sc:tosses glasses (broken in half)on the desk
    cwh thats not very good is it?
    sc:no its not,ive only had them a few months and they just broke.
    *note, people do not break glasses they break themselves.anythime they are stood on,sat on or run over by a car,it just happened.i got them out of the case and they were broken,they were ok last night!*
    cw:this is very shoddy,look carefully here,theres a gap between the frame and the lenses,not very well made.
    sch i hadnt noticed that,well what are you going to do about it?
    cw:nothing!
    scabout to kick off) i want a new pair free of charge
    cw:no, i cant do that
    sc:why the f not?
    cw:well you didnt get them here
    scf course i did,i always come here.
    cw:well if you look at the side of the frame it says x & y opticians,were s & s opticians
    sc:i thought i got them here
    cw:no sir,we wouldnt sell frames with another opticians name on,yourll find them just down the road,goodbye
    sc:im still sure i got them here!
    cw:how can i help you today (to another patient)

this happens about every 5-6 months no matter where i work,you cant remember where you bought your glasses?heres a hint,it may be written on the side of the frame

Lemme guess: the follow up to "You didn't buy that here" is "I'll never go back to that other crappy store again. Since you want my business you'll replace this item that I broke and you never sold me and you'll replace it for free."

I actually heard this line once at a Walmart. Someone was trying to return a Target-brand something-or-the-other.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Nothing written on my frames, but I still know exactly where I got them (I have to bring them in periodically because, idiocy incarnate, they were designed for the screws to come up from the bottom, so they regularly loosen and fall out - whoever designed them should be shot).
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
        Nothing written on my frames, but I still know exactly where I got them (I have to bring them in periodically because, idiocy incarnate, they were designed for the screws to come up from the bottom, so they regularly loosen and fall out - whoever designed them should be shot).
        But if the (tiny little) screws were on the top, people might see them, and that wouldn't be kewl!

You can get a bit of Lock-tite (sp?) at an electronics store that will coat the threads and help keep them in place. Why opticians don't use the stuff in the first place is beyond me.
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth the optician View Post
          you cant remember where you bought your glasses?heres a hint,it may be written on the side of the frame
          Yeah, but I can's see that without my glasses!

Seriously, the name on the frame would not be as helpful as it sounds. This observation, however, is not intended to suggest lack of customer suck.
          Women can do anything men can.
          But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
          Maxine

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
            You can get a bit of Lock-tite (sp?) at an electronics store that will coat the threads and help keep them in place. Why opticians don't use the stuff in the first place is beyond me.
            We did when I was glazing (Cutting the lenses to shape and putting them in the frames you chose in the right orientation) but we could only use up to a certain grade of loctite (anything stronger and the fumes could irritate the eye if it hadn't dried properly)
            "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
            Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

My guess is that he had already gone to the original optician; and they called him out on the fact he probably broke them himself.

Comment

Oh don't worry I get it too. They call me looking for some item. I can't pull it up with the item number the give me so I ask for the code on there catalog. that way I can look in that catalog. Then they start going 123 um, that does not match up with our code it need abc... After about another min of this I have to ask them are you sure you are looking at a ____ catalog?? Oh yeah yeah cust looks... Um I'm sorry I'm looking at _____'s. Now they know they are talking to the worng company. HA HA HA happens all the time.

Comment

I had an optician use loctite on the screws on my glasses once...I never went back to that store again, though. I figure they should be made right the first time. My glasses stay on my face until I go to bed, then they go in a safe place where they won't fall & be damaged.

I love the bit about "gimme free stuff if you want my business." Sure, that would be fine if my business involved giving stuff away for free! Since it doesn't....go away.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My optician uses something of that order. When I go to the doctor, I bring the glasses in to get cleaned and checked over, and they test the screws and if necessary, use a bit of some-screw-stuff-or-other and tighten the screws.

I suspect Darkforge is right, and there's some limit as to how strong the lock-tite (or whatever) can be for this application.

It doesn't bother me to pause and have a quick chat with my optician, though. He's a great guy. And very easy on the eyes.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I would like to say... I have had a pair of glasses just break before. I'm sure it was because they were old and getting to the end of their life span... but I picked them up and as I was putting them on they broke right in half. It was the weirdest damn thing I have ever had happen to me.

Of course I didn't go demanding a new pair... I forked out the $$ and got a really nice new pair that have been with me for two years. ^_^ lol.
                      "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                      -Red

Comment

You can get a bit of Lock-tite (sp?) at an electronics store ... Why opticians don't use the stuff in the first place is beyond me.
                        Don't be silly. Where would the thriving trade in black market earpieces be if they did THAT?! Psssh.

Although, in my case, the lack of lock-tite on mine did allow me to replace my old, corroded brass earpieces with rust-proof titanium alloy ones >_>
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                        X