This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is not Quick Chek!

As you may have a read, I work in a grocery store as a cashier. Had a customer today that bought a few items, including a thing of those Dibs ice cream things. After I ring her things up, she hands me coupons. First two were regular coupons from the booklet you get inside newspapers (although 1 I could not take because it was only for a larger size of the item and she only had 2 packs). Then, she hands me one of those coupons that you can print out for a free item at Quick Chek from emails, Facebook, etc which was for the Dibs I mentioned at the beginning. My store number 1 does not take competitor coupons anymore (we did for a few months but stopped for some unknown reason), and number 2 when we did it applied ONLY for coupons other supermarkets provided and coupons for places like Target and other non-supermarkets were not allowed because they're not direct competition. She hands it to me, I tell her I can't take it, and then actualy looks surprised and asks "you won't take this?" Um... no. She practically throws the bag back at me and tells me to take it off.

What is it with grocery store customers and THROWING things at the cashiers when you don't get what you want? Someday someone is going to get badly injured and the assailant is going to get SUED.

I still get worried when I see large bouquets of flowers.
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Am I the only person in the world who, if they aren't getting the sale price, will STILL buy the item? I swear, you tell SC's it's a different price and they immediately act like they never wanted it to begin with.

Comment

Quoth searssoulslave View Post
        Am I the only person in the world who, if they aren't getting the sale price, will STILL buy the item? I swear, you tell SC's it's a different price and they immediately act like they never wanted it to begin with.
        It think that's because they think they're going to upset you by not buying the item. OH NOES I LOST A SALE!

Throwing things, though...ye gods, most people learned not to do that around age 4. Most of these people should not be let out of the house without a leash, a muzzle and a guardian armed with a taser rifle.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I love dibs. I will buy the dibs she didn't buy.
          Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
            I love dibs. I will buy the dibs she didn't buy.
            So you've got dibs on the dibs?
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
              So you've got dibs on the dibs?
              The crunch kind, yes. I will fight a hoe for Crunch Dibs.
              Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth searssoulslave View Post
                I swear, you tell SC's it's a different price and they immediately act like they never wanted it to begin with.
                Yep, people only buy things because they are a bargain. But they don't seem to grasp that buying something you don't want simply because the price is reduced, isn't actually saving money.

And I can quite easily do it too with DVDs.
                "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Sometimes I want things (sale price worth) but not (full price worth). At such times, yes, I'll choose not to buy if it's not on sale.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I actually have been injured once by a customer. The first year we were open I was working Service Desk after Christmas when an older man brought back a microwave. He set it on the counter and stated that it didn't work. I had my hand in the handle getting ready to pull it over so I could scan it and place it in a cart for returns when he pushed it. I am not sure if he shoved it on purpose or if he just didn't realize how slick the counter was. In any case I couldn't free my hand in time and the microwave dropped off the countertop and I caught the full weight with one hand. I felt a popping in my wrist and some pain.
                    I don't know exactly what was injured since I didn't get to the doctor, but I couldn't even hold a piece of paper without it causing pain. I wore a wrist brace for about 6 months after that and it healed up okay.

I did have customers throw stuff a couple of times. I was on lane one time and there were cashier trainees on the lanes on either side of me. A woman came up with a cartload of items including bottled water in cases, hair color and several other items. She told me that she wanted to price match all these items. Our store policy is only price match on General Merchandise, no grocery or health and beauty and you have to have a copy of the competitor's ad which we have to keep. I informed her that I couldn't price match the items per store policy. She got snotty and said, "Well, take that off, and I don't want that and that and THAT...I can get it cheaper at Kroger!" I proceeded to put the unwanted products behind my register and noticed her placing two boxes of hair color in the gum rack above the belt. I very politely told her, "Ma'am, if you would care to hand those to me I will put them in my return bin so they can be returned to stock." She snatched them out of the gum rack, drew back her arm and said, "FINE...take them then!" and threw them at my head!
                    I managed to deflect them with my hand and they fell on the belt. She paid for the one item she did want and left. I turned out my light and finished the line of customers I had then went to the office to tell my Team Leader what had happened. I am only glad that she didn't pull that with one of the trainees..they would have been out the door so fast!

Comment

Too bad your angle wasn't quite right. They could have reflected instead and hit her. That would have been full of win.
                      Last edited by Kristev; 07-17-2010, 07:48 AM.
                      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                      X