Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which job have you had which had the highest SC rating?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defineately the grocery store. The chain I worked for positioned themselves as the higher end brand, but still put stores in shady areas. Of the nine stores I worked in, the one near 2 dog tracks and 5 strip clubs had the highest SC ratio.

Comment

I agree with everything that was said here about working in a gas station. It truly is the worst job ever, in terms of the suckiness of the customers. Sure, I've had other jobs with whiny, picky, demanding customers who think that they are better than me, but those weren't as bad as some of the SCs I get at the gas station. At the gas station, I get creepy old men who hit on me; drunks who hit on me, try to steal, and mess up all the displays; angry smokers who just cannot accept the fact that we sometimes run out of THEIR brand; bratty kids who mess up the displays and try to steal; crowds of teenagers who loiter endlessly; couch potatoes who just cannot accept the fact that if they return their movies late they get late charges; hopelessly addicted gamblers who spend hours scratching lottery tickets in the store; thieves who drive away without paying for their gas; various types of scammers; people who are incapable of using small bills; people who are just generally messy (leaving garbage all over the place and making the bathroom really disgusting); and people who are so self-entitled that they think the world revolves around them and their needs.

Comment

Pizza parlor when I was 15. Owner and his wife were as nice as they come, but he was a spineless cheap-ass, and his wife wasn't much better. The co-workers there were absolute weasels. Complete asses to everyone, including me, because I was a few years younger than the others. Only one co-worker was actually nice to me and treated me with respect.

Let's not forget the owner telling the daytime manager (mid-40's, had worked there since she was 17) not to do anything about the 50-something man sitting in the store masturbating in public because "it wasn't anything she hadn't seen before".

???? Are you kidding me?

And your scheduled shifts never mattered, because (my shifts were always 5-8 in the evenings) you weren't allowed to leave until your station was cleaned for the night. I was usually on the pizza station (as opposed to hoagie, oven, front register, and kitchen stations), which normally was very messy, and we had to serve every customer who came in regardless of what time it was. We usually locked the doors whenever we felt like though, but still, I didn't drive, and had to be picked up by one of my parents or my sister, and it was damned inconsiderate of them to keep me there till sometimes 10:30pm (when I was SUPPOSED to be off at 8!) knowing that my ride was kept waiting.

And then how he would have me close the store, keeping me there until 11:30pm on school nights, with me being 15. HUGE labor law no-no. And cooking pizza, using the oven, at 15. You had to be 16 to use it. He didn't care.

Glad I got out of that hell-hole. REAL glad.
        Last edited by theredbaron47; 07-16-2006, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Definitely the job I've got now. I mean, I've worked other restaurants, I've served before, but this job...

I know I'm older than your average hostess (I'm 20), and I've come to terms with that. I've even worked with a 40-year-old hostess (she had one arm and had a very hard time serving so she hosted, was with that company for like 17 years and so her hour pay was good enough that she could get by hosting) so I have no problem being a 20-year-old hostess. I'm good at what I do and I take pride in that fact. It's just the people in my area, even though they're rednecks and wannabe ghetto rednecks, don't know how to behave in restaurants or treat those who work in them. What makes this job worse than my last one is the managers....
          Love is admiration without envy, familiarity without contempt, and chocolate without asking.

Comment

For me it has to be working at a church snack bar.(high school fundraiser) You'd think with it being a church people would be nice and understand that it's not a fancy restaurtant just a bunch of teens trying to raise money for a senior trip, but no these people were the biggest as*holes ever. They would cuss at you if their food was not perfect. I heard this doesnt taste like starbucks so many fu*king times I wanted to kill them. Also it was a small cooking area that fit about 4-5 people, and there were hundreds of people who usually ordered for their family, so yes people it will take time to make all that food especially when there was only one person (me) on food. Complaining that we are lazy sacks of sh*t because one of my class mates that was scheduled didnt show (that's my fault) is really gone help the situation. So many people would bring up empty cups demanding a refill on coffee, but what do I see when I look at it, It says STARBUCKS ON IT YOU CHEAP BASTA*D. (I should really post these stories I think you guys would enjoy the read)
            KAHN: I thought being smart person in Texas set her apart.

KAHN: If my girl doesn't wrestle, I'll show you who put the sue in Souphanousinphone!

Comment

For me, it's a toss up between the public library and the gaming store. For the gaming store, it wasn't the people who actually understood the concept of the store, it was the walk-in traffic. For the library, it just seems that EVERYONE who comes in through the doors excepts us to stop everything and cater to them, 'cos ya know, they pay my salary. (Funny, as I'm a taxpayer, I do too).

Comment

Definitely the gas station, by FAR. Blas, Bella, and others have already mentioned the main reasons, though.

Oh, except for the people who HAD to have their gas pumped for them on weekends, even though the two full service pumps where closed on weekends. Jerks.

If you're old or handicapped, fine. If you're an able-bodied person who's too damn lazy to get out of your car and pump your own gas, why is that my problem?? (At least the old folks occasionally gave me tips.)
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Interestingly enough, I don't remember my convenience store/gas station days as being all that bad (Then again, that was a long time ago...)
                  The job that generated the most SCs was definitely the big red evil craft store- the nonsense those people tried to pull, the attitudes, and the fact that we were the only one of our chain in a very large area meant we got all the whiners, weirdos, and women with too much time on their hands.

The fact that the company 'promotes out, not up' meant that half the time our management couldn't find anything in the store and had no idea what the previous problems had been because they were so new. The trouble was, we couldn't keep the good management we got -they kept being promoted elsewhere!
                  Arsenic is 'natural'. Hemlock is 'organic'.

Comment

Mine would have to be the bussing job at the all-you-can-eat buffet, all the way back in high school. It was something like $7.95 for lunch and $10.95 for dinner, which I thought was highway robbery for a meal until I saw how most of these people ate. Every kind of loud, obnoxious, demanding, rude, inconsiderate, and downright mean SC came through that place, and on top of that there was the church crowd on Sundays, which were all of the above, but there were three times as many of them. I was only there six weeks before I quit/was fired (only no-call no-show I ever pulled). I just couldn't face it anymore.

To be fair, I was only seventeen, painfully shy, and hypersensitive to everything, so it might not have been as bad as I perceived it to be. But in hindsight it still seems that I had more SCs in those six weeks than I have in any other job I've held since.

Comment

The worst job I've had was working at a convenience store, hell hole called Circle K. We didn't sell gas, thank god! I have never been disrespected and harassed in my life while working there. And the manager didn't care!! He's an ass to everybody. This store is next door to a strip club. Can you imagine the assholes I had to deal with coming from that dirty place. I worked the graveyard shift most of the time I was there and alone! While working there, I was going to school to be a veterinary assistant, so working full time and school full time made me tired and cranky. I was civil to the very few people who were nice, but, the drunks, druggies and assholes got the attitude after they've fed it to me. I was too tired to care.
                      After the new year this year, there was a murder in the parking lot at 2:30am. I demanded the company to put me off nights and put me on afternoons or I quit. I was freaked out by the nightly activities in this ghetto. So they put me on afternoons. I still delt with SCs, but nights were just horrible. Couple of months after the murder, I quit. I couldn't take the bull shit anymore. Paid very little to deal with this much abuse.
                      I have graduated from school and I love my job as a vet asst. Now, I just deal with dumb owners with ill trained dogs. Which is not bad but annoying. I just think about my bad times at Circle K and I appreciate the dumb dogs who can't talk back!

Comment

When I worked at Burger King. You really shouldn't piss a person off who happens to be handling your food. But I didn't do anything like that. Although, I'll admit, it was tempting sometimes.

Comment

The job I have now is a SC magnet. It's the easiest job I've had but the SCs, coworkers, supervisors, and its rules are just stupid. I live in a very affluent county which means I had a lot of rich assholes. Their kids are a lot worse, driving a BMW which was just given to them and they act like they're better than you. I've had to deal with drunks, rednecks, and assholes in one night at one point that I almost walked out on the place. You get written up for some insipid things, you get written up if you're late but you call ahead to let them know because your car broke down. Most of my supervisors bowed to SCs and I haven't yet.
                          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I think mine had to be the large evil Blue Box store (we all know which one that is right? )

If you wanted to know the pure meaning of abuse, you became a "stockman" (read: cart pusher/gopher). I recall seeing such things as fights breaking out over shopping carts in the lot during Christmas season (way ta go moms!), lazy-arse co-irkers who would never put their own cardboard in the baler, so I'd get called every hour or so to deal with 10-15 carts FULL of cardboard, so natch I had to bale the stupid thing - and then they wondered why I didn't jump to get the next take-out. Spending most of my day in the parking lot was the best part though, although people really didn't know how to drive in the ice & snow (including all those who LIVE there all the time).

I think I only made one outstanding contribution to that store, and that was when I completely straightened out the "99 room" (where they keep all the shelves hooks, etc). I had to take a picture the day I was done because within 2 weeks of that day, it was back to a disaster pit again.

GADS I'm so glad I'm out of that place! What's even more amazing is that some of those who I worked with........ARE STILL THERE!
                            Who is this rectal-cranial inverted twit....and where is my sledgehammer??

Comment

My first job when I was 16- working at a popular fast food restaraunt. Before then, I never knew that people could be so freakin' rude to service people. I'd say that each day, we had at least four entitlement jerks, three I'm-in-a-hurry whiners during our busiest hours, two idiots that expected a five-star meal at a fast food place (complain about something trivial and demand free food ), and a partridge in a pear tree.

On top of that, I had a day manager that loved to bully young, new workers and at least two coworkers that took orders, but never carried them out. Inevitably, these customers would find me and angrily ask why they didn't have their orders yet. I couldn't really blame these people for being mad, but why did they always come to me instead of idiot coworker that actually took their orders? I will say that this experience ended any future ideas I had about working in the food service industry.

Comment

Radio Shack....
                                I drive a hearse. Anyone want to go for a ride? Don't let your first ride be your last!

Comment

Working...
                                X