This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drunk Angry 80 year old threatens cashier

Our state enacted a new law on July 1st that states anyone regardless of age must show picture ID in order to purchase alcohol. This led to the following scene last week on 3rd shift. We only have 2 cashiers working any night on 3rd. We have 8 uscan lanes and a single "regular" checkout lane.

I was working with "A" and she was on her break. One of our regulars is a senior citizen who always comes in wearing a miniskirt, sandals and bleached blonde hair. I was standing at Uscan when she stepped around the corner and called "Miss...MISS". I stepped over to see what she wanted.

SC:"I think there is something wrong with the restroom. The door is locked and I have knocked and knocked and no one comes out...and I REALLY have to go!!"
    I step around to our family restroom since sometimes people will hit the lock button walking out and we have to unlock it for the next customer. As I am about to knock on the door a man and his little boy come rushing out. The father yelled, "I told you twice that we were using the restroom. We were trying to hurry for you..Jesus Christ!" (Turns out the little boy was ill and throwing up so they couldn't really hurry). SC didn't miss a beat, just rushed in to use the restroom. She had been in the store a long time if the amount of stuff in her cart was any indication.
    Once she emerged from the bathroom she made her way to "A"'s checkout lane. All her items were scanned and then she put a bottle of wine on the belt.."A" scanned it and the prompt came up to enter the date of birth. "A" asked for the woman's ID.
    SC "I don't have my ID...it is all the way our in my caaar and I don't feel like walking all the way out there."
    A:"Ma'am, state law says I have to see ID in order to sell alcohol. I need your ID"
    SC:"That is rediculous...I am in my 80s..I am obviously over 21. Can't you just override it?"
    A;"No ma'am, I could lose my job if I don't get your ID. Do you have ANYTHING with your date of birth on it"
    SC "I don't care about your job, I really neeeed that bottle of wine."

about that time I walk by and she says, "How about HER, can she override it?"
    A: "No ma'am, it is state law and no one can sell you alcohol without an ID"
    SC:"Well, I am going to come behind there and force you to give me that wine."

at this point "A" was starting to get a little frightened and picked up the phone and asked the manager to come up and deal with the customer.
    SC:"Yes...get your manager up here..HE will make you sell me the wine"
    Manager is awesome...he comes up and tells the customer that it is state law that we have to see picture ID for any customer wanting to buy alcohol, no exceptions. It is a misdemenor and we could face fines and the loss of our liquor license and the cashier would be fired, and he was not willing to bend the rules for anyone. Customer was outraged, but she paid for the rest of her stuff and left.

Mind you we could have refused to sell her alcohol on the basis of the fact that she was obviously intoxicated. She smelled of alcohol, she was unsteady on her feet and had to lean on the cart and shuffle on her tiptoes to get anywhere and her speech was off.
    I told "A" if anyone argued again just to tell them that the register had been changed where we didn't have the option to override. It would be a good thing since we card for everything anymore..alcohol, tobacco, DVDs, CDs, video games, fireworks and certain medications. Most customers are pretty understanding..we do have huge signs on both entrances stating the law, so if you want to purchase alcohol you can go right back and get your ID before you grab a cart and start shopping.

Quoth RetailSlave View Post
    SC "I don't care about your job, I really neeeed that bottle of wine."
    Wow, that was blunt. I mean I've heard SCs say they would get a person fired on purpose. But I've never witnessed one tell an employee that one item is more important than that employee's livelihood. Though I'm sure it actually happens all the time.

SC:"Well, I am going to come behind there and force you to give me that wine."
    AHH! CRAZY, DRUNKEN, MINI-SKIRT WEARING OLD LADY!!!!!
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Lemme guess. Indiana?

Have our legislators nothing better to do?
      Women can do anything men can.
      But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
      Maxine

Comment

Quoth Sparky View Post
        Lemme guess. Indiana?

Have our legislators nothing better to do?
        Yes, and no.

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
          Yes, and no.
          Did they let Dan Quayle out of his cage again?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Screw the misdemeanor for selling her alcohol without carding her: didn't anyone bother to call the cops about the the fact that a clearly intoxicated senior citizen was about to drive away from the store?

Seniors can be bad enough on the road... having it be a drunk senior is just terrifying.

{Disclaimer: Yes, I know not *all* seniors are bad drivers, any more than all teens are.}
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

We have a similar law in Tennessee. Most customers are used to it now, so it's rarely an issue any more. The few times I do run into objections, I simply tell them it's state law, and not negotiable. That's the only explanation required.

I've long since decided to quit trying to reason with the uncooperative. If they try to argue about it, they get asked to leave. If they refuse to leave, I call the police. I figure if they don't care about respecting me, I don't give a damn about showing them respect either.
              The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Why don't we have stores that are like bars? By that I mean no one under 21 allowed. Think about it, a Wal-mart type place, on a smaller scale for adults only.

You have a couple of bouncer guys at the door checking IDs on the way in so the cashiers don't have to worry about doing it and the customers can by whatever they want with limited hassle.
                "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                  Why don't we have stores that are like bars? By that I mean no one under 21 allowed. Think about it, a Wal-mart type place, on a smaller scale for adults only.

You have a couple of bouncer guys at the door checking IDs on the way in so the cashiers don't have to worry about doing it and the customers can by whatever they want with limited hassle.
                  That makes no sense.... What makes you think people over 21 are magically well behaved? I've had people well over 21, still willing to show ID, but are still complete assholes to everyone. At the same time, I've me people under 21 that are far better behaved then alot of people over 21.
                  Military Spouse Support.
                  http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                  Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Mind you we could have refused to sell her alcohol on the basis of the fact that she was obviously intoxicated. She smelled of alcohol, she was unsteady on her feet and had to lean on the cart and shuffle on her tiptoes to get anywhere and her speech was off
                    You should have. Its illegal to sell to someone obviously intoxicated as well.
                    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                      That makes no sense.... What makes you think people over 21 are magically well behaved? I've had people well over 21, still willing to show ID, but are still complete assholes to everyone. At the same time, I've me people under 21 that are far better behaved then alot of people over 21.
                      The idea behind the store was that they wouldn't fuss about having to show ID. Or, if they did fuss, it would be outside the store with big scary bouncer standing in front of them. It would eliminate the one specific type of hassle.

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
                        The idea behind the store was that they wouldn't fuss about having to show ID. Or, if they did fuss, it would be outside the store with big scary bouncer standing in front of them. It would eliminate the one specific type of hassle.
                        Well that and the whole thing was intended half jokingly anyway
                        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

And here's the weird thing. It is also state law (yes, Indiana) that grocery stores are no longer allowed to have the alcoholic beverages in a separate "Party Store" area..it all has to be out with the other merchandise. To me this makes absolutely NO sense if you are trying to restrict alcohol sales. With the party store we would have one or two cashiers that were 19 or older (the legal age to scan and sell alcohol in our state), you could have a greeter or security person at the door to make sure no one walked out with any unpaid liquor, and it could be closed and locked during those times when alcohol sales are restricted. When they built our store it was one of the first without a separate party store (they still have them in other states). I just figured it was to drive impulse sales, but my manager commented early this year that it was state law.

Comment

Mind you we could have refused to sell her alcohol on the basis of the fact that she was obviously intoxicated. She smelled of alcohol, she was unsteady on her feet and had to lean on the cart and shuffle on her tiptoes to get anywhere and her speech was off.
                            Quoth Whiskey View Post
                            Its illegal to sell to someone obviously intoxicated as well.
                            Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                            Screw the misdemeanor for selling her alcohol without carding her: didn't anyone bother to call the cops about the the fact that a clearly intoxicated senior citizen was about to drive away from the store?
                            I thought the same thing. Serving or selling alcohol to a person who is visibly intoxicated is illegal in my state. It also exposes the business and the employee/bartender/waiter to liability should the drunk injure anyone after leaving the business.

Texas allows the drunk to sue the business as well - and courts have upheld verdicts when the business encouraged the person to drink and continued selling to the person after it was obvious the person was sloshed.
                            "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                            .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Working...
                            X