Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess what I saw yesterday in line at work? A good parent. Yes! Her little boy had taken one of the toy cars and brought it up to the register as she was checking out, and she made him put it back. He kept whining and started to cry, and she refused to yeild. She told him he could not have it, in English and Spanish. Then she left the register for a moment, but left her older daughter there, just long enough to take the toy car back.

By the way, she was on WIC (I noticed the check) and at least half of what she was buying were . . . fresh vegetables.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
      My grandparents always say people in Hell want ice water. And my mom just said no.
      My mom's favorite answer to that is: Wantin' ain't gettin'.

Of course, I've been known to say people in Hell want air conditioning too. And that ain't happening no time soon either.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
        My grandparents always say people in Hell want ice water. And my mom just said no.
        My mother would just turn around to me and say "I want never gets" or "we don't have the money for that" very quickly I stopped asking.
        Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
          those kids are going to be hellions when they get older.
          Or just very, very poor.

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
            i want i want i want!!!
            i don't understand why some parents cave every time their kid says the words "i want!!!" i had a woman today with 3 boys under 10. she bought almost $30 because her kids kept wanting things. and i had to ring her up 3 different.
            first order was 2 dozen mini cookies, 4 regular size, and 3 kids "novelty" cups with soda.
            then one of her kids wanted a smoothie instead.
            then one of them decided he wanted an m&m cookie instead of a chewy fudge.
            holy crap woman learn to say no!
            those kids are going to be hellions when they get older.
            And I want to put it in Megan Fox's butt. But she's recently married, and not to me.

Looks like none of us will get what we want.

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
            Why would I want fries with popcorn?
            Fries with popcorn sounds like something I'd eat. But only after putting the phone number of a cardiologist on speed dial.
            Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 07-25-2010, 10:19 PM.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              Fries with popcorn sounds like something I'd eat. But only after putting the phone number of a cardiologist on speed dial.
              Just slightly off topic, here, but I don't feel so bad because this is a tangent anyway...Back at "DaddyJim's" pizzeria, we had out own little "not on the menu" recipes that we liked to make form time to time when the crew wanted to eat (NOTE: This is distinct from "Crew Food", aka "orders that were canceled after being made, or where the customer wasn't home")...My personal favorite was simply cheese-stix (a flattened small pie with garlic butter instead of red sauce) smothered in bacon (and sometimes onions as well).

We also had our "just about every damn meat topping in the store" pies, with names like "The Coronary" or "The Artery Clogger Deluxe". We even managed to do what every other location on the planet simultaneously managed to do, and that was to make BBQ chicken pizzas for internal consumption within zero point five days of the release of chicken strips as a side item...several years before Corporate thought of offering same as an actual pizza.

One of our weirder ones was a type of pie which -- I am almost 100% certain -- was stolen from smaller, more traditional pizza places -- the idea of taking a 14" pie, making it as usual, and then slapping out a 10" crust and laying it on top to make an ersatz calzone (albeit circular instead of folded), complete with slits in the top and melted garlic butter on top. I forgot our name for it, might anyone have the REAL name for such a concoction?

Oh yeah -- We also had the "special sixteen" -- IF someone ordered an XL (16" pie) when we had run out of (usable) 16 patties, they would get offered a "16 thin crust"....in other words, a 14" patty slapped out to 16" size...it wasn't pretty, but it did the job. Wouldn't work with more then 3-4 toppings, tho >_>
              Last edited by EricKei; 07-25-2010, 08:53 PM.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                "not on the menu" recipes
                I did that in college. I worked in the little campus fast-food-type place (more like short-order cook). We did milkshakes - chocolate, vanilla or black-and-white (vanilla ice cream and chocolate milk). One of my coworkers taught me to make a faux Orange Julius - basically a vanilla shake with orange juice instead of milk, a bit of vanilla extract, and sugar (I still make 'em sometimes, but without the extra sugar). My senior year we got a Friendly's ice cream station, which included Fribble mix. I would make a chocolate Fribble with a couple spoonfulls of maraschino cherries. Good stuff. (I wonder where I could find unflavored ice milk for that...) Not a recipe, but we also ate raw chocolate-chip cookies straight out of the freezer.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  I never understood how you can have a medium without both a large and small. "Medium" is a relative term.
                  It's true that medium is relative, but it could just be that it is the medium size from the manufacturer's point of view. The company may not actually stock the small, so their smallest size would then be the "medium"
                  Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    One of our weirder ones was a type of pie which -- I am almost 100% certain -- was stolen from smaller, more traditional pizza places -- the idea of taking a 14" pie, making it as usual, and then slapping out a 10" crust and laying it on top to make an ersatz calzone (albeit circular instead of folded), complete with slits in the top and melted garlic butter on top. I forgot our name for it, might anyone have the REAL name for such a concoction?
                    That's a double crust pizza here in Omaha in most of the local old timer been-around-since-the-30's Italian restaurants.

One local place does a really good hamburger and onion double crust.

Now I'm hungry for pizza from that place. I guess I know what's for dinner now.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      I've seen it called a stuffed pizza at a couple of chains that I have been to. It was the hubby's and my favorite from the "Take 'N Bake" pizza chain we used to go to before we moved
                      "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                        a faux Orange Julius
                        Ohhh, that sounds so good >_> I haven't seen an Orange Julius stand in well over a decade.

Not a recipe, but we also ate raw chocolate-chip cookies straight out of the freezer.
                        Heeheehee. I don't think more than 20% of ALL cookie dough to enter my house over the years has EVER made it into the oven before being consumed ...
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          Ohhh, that sounds so good >_> I haven't seen an Orange Julius stand in well over a decade.
                          I used to always get Orange Julius at Great Adventure. They're long gone, though. It is really yummy...if you make it without the extra sugar it's more like a creamsicle. I've even done it more like an ice cream soda, when I don't feel like dealing with the blender...just OJ and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          Heeheehee. I don't think more than 20% of ALL cookie dough to enter my house over the years has EVER made it into the oven before being consumed ...
                          Hehe. We had Otis Spunkmeyer cookies...they came in a box of frozen dough balls. We'd get one out and break it up on a plate and eat it. Not sure which is better...frozen dough or fresh baked from the oven (because there was always at least one from a batch that didn't make it to the display case .)
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                          X