This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
    Someone who realized that it takes less plastic - and therefore costs less money and can be marketed as 'greener'. At least, when they started selling things like laundry detergent in bags around here, that's what the rationale on the packaging is. (How can it be greener if you can't recycle the container after?)
    Cheaper probably; but I doubt "greeness" ever entered the equation. Canada has had milk sold in bags for 30+ years now, before Green was anything but a colour. I suspect it's mainly a cost factor in doing it; people would buy the container and put a new bag of milk in it when needed, and toss the empty plastic bag when done.

Though according to Wiki, the green factor is increasingly a selling point. Apparently the bags are recyclable, and use significantly less plastic than the normal containers.
    Last edited by Jetfire; 07-27-2010, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
      Cheaper probably; but I doubt "greeness" ever entered the equation. Canada has had milk sold in bags for 30+ years now, before Green was anything but a colour. I suspect it's mainly a cost factor in doing it; people would buy the container and put a new bag of milk in it when needed, and toss the empty plastic bag when done.

Though according to Wiki, the green factor is increasingly a selling point. Apparently the bags are recyclable, and use significantly less plastic than the normal containers.
      Wait... nowhere around here takes milk bags for recycling (and don't get me started on the fact that plastic in general is barely recyclable).

More relevantly, green was a big movement when I was a kid. The old Loblaws canvas bags (those were nice does anyone else miss them?) were marketed as green. And their "green" line has been so-called for as long as I can remember.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        I just want someone to tell me, who the heck ever came up with the idea of selling liquid in a BAG?
        Anyone who's studied old storage techniques. People used to make liquid carriers out of animal stomachs and bladders. Plastics have replaced the animal bits, but otherwise not a bad idea. In scouts, we used to carry water for backpacking in more permanant bags we called a bota bag*.

*Yay! Link for example & some possibly correct history.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
        X