This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grumpy old man

I offer apologies in advance to anyone who is old, this is not meant to knock old people, this is just a customer I had.
    A couple of days ago I had an elderly couple come through my line. Nothing out of the ordinary, they seemed friendly and they were not irritating to me in the slightest way. As I am completing the order, the old man starts getting mean.
    GOM: Excuse me, do you have a problem?!
    I look at him in surprise.
    GOM: Your customer service skills suck and you've got a real attitude problem!
    Me: I'm sorry if I've done anything wrong sir. What did I do?
    GOM: You're being a wiseass!
    Me: I'm sorry if I came across that way, sir. I didn't mean too, but I was not being a wiseass.
    He grabs his food and walks away. His wife is all pleasant and smiles, and she waves her wand at me with a smile, and I guess she was saying something like, "Don't worry, you're fine".
    Me: (acting as polite as I can) Have a nice day, enjoy your movie.
    At that point I was being a wiseass, but I've had many managers in my life who tell me to "kill them with kindess", and then the customer would complain that I did that, saying I was sarcastic or rude. Ok, what should I do then if not kill them with kindness? Tell them to fuck off or something?!
    Anyway, I go and talk to a manager in private because I am pretty sure that this guy will go and complain. I got a couple of strikes on me, and I am certainly not about to get into trouble because some grumpy old man decides that I'm a wiseass! I got so upset over the whole thing, I find myself yelling while talking to the manager, but I apologized for doing so, and she totally understood I was just upset and worried about my job.
    Now I have a question.... When I told my best friend about what had happened, he said it sounded like the guy might've had dimentia, which I know nothing about, but I guess a disease like that can make people think that about others. Anyone know?

Yes, dementia as well as Alzheimers can affect people like that. Their moods, temperments, attitudes as well as judgements are changed. Someone who has been the nicest, calmest person in the world can change to a raving harpy over the smallest things because of that. Don't take it personally.
    And Kudos to his wife. They don't call Alzheimers "The Long Goodbye" for nothing.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
      Yes, dementia as well as Alzheimers can affect people like that. Their moods, temperments, attitudes as well as judgements are changed. Someone who has been the nicest, calmest person in the world can change to a raving harpy over the smallest things because of that. Don't take it personally.
      And Kudos to his wife. They don't call Alzheimers "The Long Goodbye" for nothing.
      Yes.. it could have been dementia.. or, it could have been the guy was just a crabby old bastard. Worse yet, sometimes naturally crabby old bastards develop dementia.. Bad times all around.
      I will never go to school!

Comment

I've had that guy before! I'VE HAD THAT GUY BEFORE! I've also had a manager that said to "be really sweet" to people but, hell no.

I've resorted to deadpanning everything by the time I left that job.

This one I'm only having problems getting people to SPEAK UP because I can't understand Mumblese.
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Well, look at it this way..

If it WAS dementia, I'm sure he forgot to complain.

And yes, it can cause people to act in ways they ordinarily would not. You made a good move by talking to the manager, but I wouldnt worry about it.

Comment

It's the worst when people who have always been angry or vicious get Alzheimers and Dimentia. My Nanna was one of the meanest, most vicious, vengeful, spiteful people to ever walk the earth.......and when she started going downhill with the diseases...oohhh boy......
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

You just can't please some people no matter how hard you try. That's why I gave up trying long ago. I just act like my normal self, and let the rest of the pieces fall where they may.
              The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

it's possible he's had a stroke; that happened to my grandmother (who used to be a mean old bitch) and it changed her completely-now she's really sweet (but can't talk, sadly).
                still, it doesn't eliminate the whole suck factor.
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                  I've had that guy before! I'VE HAD THAT GUY BEFORE!
                  Grumpy Old Man is not an individual, it's a state of mind.
                  Common symptoms of Grumpy Old Manism include an absolute unwavering belief that you are entitled to anything you want by virtue of not being dead yet, and a complete willingness to complain about having to wait for at least 3 times longer than the duration of the wait itself.
                  Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Ugh. I'm sorry for you. I had a bipolar/dementia guy off his meds blow-up at me once. I was in tears until the bellman interviened, asked the guy if he wanted a cup of coffee, and the guy turns around on a 180 and asks if I wanna have coffee with him!!!
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

He once made a short visit to the KFC I worked at years ago. I took their order and all was quiet and good but when I had packed it for to-go the gentleman said he wanted to eat it there. (Which he actually didn't specify because I had intentionally not asked seeing as we were closing the dinning room in like 5 minutes) When I mentioned the fact the dinning room was closing soon the man totally blew up and started hammering his fist on the counter screaming about how he wanted his meal there and that I was going to let him. Completely out of control. His wife was standing there dumbfounded. My response was in a low controlled tone to tell him that "Sir, no need to get upset, if you'd like to eat here I can get you a tray and plates and you are more than welcome to have your meal here." At which point he took his food and left. He actually broke my counter (glass display) with his ring, but I was too upset to notice until the next day.

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
                        Common symptoms of Grumpy Old Manism include an absolute unwavering belief that you are entitled to anything you want ... and a complete willingness to complain about having to wait for at least 3 times longer than the duration of the wait itself.
                        Sounds like typical SCs to me
                        Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                        X