This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope the owners don't give in...

B/G: I work for a company that installs watch batteries and does a number of other repairs for watches and jewelry. RARELY peoples watches get damaged at our counter. When that does happen (almost never by me, and absolutely not by my manager) we will take the item and repair it at no cost. But it has to happen at the counter otherwise there is NO proof of how the damage occurred. End B/G

About a week ago I had a gentleman asking me if my stall was apart of Sears or if I worked for another company. I explained to the gentleman that we were actually run by a smaller company and that if he needed to get in touch with the owners I could provide him with the contact information and a phone number. But first I asked if I could assist him with anything. He goes on to tell me that he had a watch battery installed at our counter, but then the watch stopped functioning. He took it to one jeweler who told him that he would have to get an overhaul (full repair very pricey) because the watch was over 10 years old. Well the man didn't like that idea so he took it to another jeweler who looked at the watch and said WE put in the wrong size battery and caused the damage to the watch and only charged him 80 dollars to fix. He even brought a letter from the jeweler stating so. I then asked him if he remembered who worked on the watch because he made comments about how she wasn't familiar with the brand and had to look up the battery. We have had problems with the other employee being somewhat careless with people's property but he said the woman wasn't African-American so it wasn't her. Now there are only 3 people who work in my department myself Caucasian, my manager who is Laotian (Asian) and the other employee who no longer works with us who is African-American. He then insisted it had to be my manager because it wasn't me or the other employee. I immediately grew suspicious because my manager has been working with jewelry/watches for over 10 years and is a licensed gemologist. She NEVER damages watches even doing things that would break a watch if I so much as thought about trying it. I took his contact information and requested he speak with my manager before contacting our owners and said we would look into the matter. After some intense brain racking I realized I was the one who worked on that watch. However, the reason we did use a slightly larger size battery is because we didn't have his size stocked. We never do, it's an unusual size of battery. However, a lager battery will never cause damage to a watch unless it is SO large that the case is pressing the battery in the movement and all sorts of other wholes in the logic. My thing is that the man didn't even consider bringing it back to us, where we would have fixed it for free. (If it was indeed damaged) But instead went from jeweler to jeweler looking for a cheap fix for it and got the answer he wanted. The watch is 10+ years old, and a brand I have never heard of and I've been doing this for 3 1/2 years. I don't know if I'm more annoyed at the idea that he wants us to comp him for damage that could have very easily been done by any of the other jewelers he went to (IF damage was really the cause) or at the fact that he had the audacity to imply I didn't know what I was doing. He may not have said those remarks about the person had he remembered it was me but still.

Yeah... watch batteries are difficult to bork up in the first place-- it either fits or it doesn't; not to mention strange-brands are more likely to bork because they're not popular for a reason (usually) (like shoddy workmanship, dubious sourcing, the like). I imagine that your company requires proof of work and such to take responsibility for things like that-- I also imagine in my little happy-world that you're trusted enough to admit when you messed up, and if you say you didn't, your bosses would back you up.
    Right?
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Exactly, I'm not penalized for mistakes but honestly if he had taken it back right away we would have done the work ourselves and there'd be no need for this nonsense. Which smells distinctly like bullspit anyways.

Comment

Good. Nice to know some places are still like that.
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I'm not sure how putting a battery into something would damage the device unless the battery itself leaks.

This is of course assuming the battery is installed normally rather than with a hammer. The battery either fits or it doesn't fit. If it fits its fine. If it doesn't fit it just either will not make contact with the electrodes, or you will not be able to close the battery compartment.

Comment

Unless you were jamming it in there with a hammer, I don't get it either.

Comment

Working...
            X