This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, you can't park there!!!

Yesterday afternoon, I was busy doing paperwork when *DING!* a reservation popped up in my system. (Actually...it doesn't ding....that would be cool, though. Must email tech guys about adding that feature.) It was for three adults, nonsmoking, and there was a note that they requested downstairs. What luck! I had two downstairs rooms left! I assigned them the corner one, an all was well.

It's important to note that the rooms I had left when this reservation was made were on the back side of the motel. This is where all of our handicapped parking is. They aren't in front of the handicap-accessible rooms...they used to be but under new ADA codes that part of the parking lot isn't level enough, so the handicapped spots are in front of regular ol' rooms. It's a pain, yes, but we have to follow federal regulations.

Just before 11pm, this reservation checks in (the troupe leader is the SC). Of course, they kept point to other rooms on the room map and asking for those. No, there's people in those rooms. No, I can't move another reservation, because you're the last one. Yes, that's all I had when you made the reservation. Sheesh!

Night Auditor comes in, we can't find the keys to lock up the lobby, so we call Other MOD. I also called Day Shift...aha, found the keys! Since Day Shift can't drive and Other MOD is in her PJ's, and I'm about to head out, I offer to drive out there and pick up the keys. Yeah, I don't have to, but I'm nice like that.

Just as I'm clocking out, SC calls down and asks if he can park is truck in the handicapped spot in front of his room so he can keep an eye on it. Other MOD explains that the police can ticket him there. SC says that since it's private property they can't. Other MOD says no, they really can, and it's a $500 ticket.

At this point I start to head out the back door and see his truck...

...is a box truck

...taking up all four handicapped stalls.

Uh, f*** no!

Keep in mind we wouldn't let him park that thing in our lot even if they were regular parking spaces. We don't have truck parking (though there's a nice closed-down restaurant next door they can park in), and it was a busy night, so we needed as many parking spaces to be available as possible.

Anyways, I set off on a trek to retrieve the lobby keys so we can lock the pool deck and the lobby. I'm gone a good 15 minutes, at least. Upon my return (after pointing and laughing at Day Shift for forgetting the keys in her pocket), I drive around to the back so I can lock up the pool before handing the keys off to Night Auditor, and I see that not only is said truck still parked there, but now a minivan has parked parallel to the truck. Yes, after being told not to park there, they added another vehicle. SC is in the lobby arguing with Night Auditor about how they should be allowed to park there. Ooo....Night Auditor has a short temper and this guy was pushing buttons...I was tired, though, and went home rather than stay to watch the fireworks.

SC ended up getting a refund and going somewhere else. I have no idea where he'd find something with his parking criteria at 11pm, though. The only places with truck parking cost at least 50% more than we do. Finding a room where you could see said truck parking is another matter entirely.

If they'd mentioned a desire for their parking needs on the reservation, I could have called them and warned them we couldn't accommodate.

Seriously, who in their right mind thinks it's actually okay to park across four handicapped stalls and then argue about it?!?! Oh wait, forgot which site I'm on...

an aside...

I remember being slightly nervous once that there wasn't parking in front of my hotel room, and I had to park around the back. I was worried about not being able to see my car....

...then when I thought about it, when did I ever actually look out to check on my car? I realized the answer was never, and that my car would be no safer in front of my room than in front of another block of rooms.

I always wonder about guests who have to be able to see their vehicle from their room...how many times a night to they every really take advantage of that? My guess is hardly at all.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

If you can see your car, they can see you. You have to sleep eventually.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
      I always wonder about guests who have to be able to see their vehicle from their room...how many times a night to they every really take advantage of that? My guess is hardly at all.
      Ooooh! In first year I deliberately used the bike racks that I could see from my window. Didn't do a heck of a lot of good because a) the drunks who deliberately bend wheels come home way later than I stay up, even in first year and b) when I did hear them dragging the bike rack I ended up not doing anything, and it probably wouldn't have done any good anyhow.

Comment

At university I kept my bicycle in the kitchen, since I lived on the ground floor and we weren't allowed to put them in the stairwells.

This backfired when it literally disappeared from the kitchen during move-out day.

Comment

Soooo, if he parked across four handicapped stalls, would that equal four $500 tickets?

Ahem.

"Mister officer, sir, could you please check out our parking lot?"
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
            My sentiments exactly, would have been a lot more satisfying.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
              We actually have checked on the car in the past. Granted, it's when we're on a week+ trip, just stopping overnight. On those nights, I'd rather leave some odds & ends in the car (sleeping bags, etc), because we usually take advantage of Thousand Trails & their rental unit program by the end of the trip. It's easier if we can leave the cooler & sleeping bags hidden in the car. If it's right outside the room, we'll do it, but not if it's out of sight.

The things we leave in the car are all things we can easily live without.
              That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Made no difference when I was in Detroit on a business trip and some %#$#$%^###$%er smashed my driver's side window to steal my cell phone (hard mounted - the bag phones were too expensive) and radio.

The following Friday (after the expense cheque for the repair was in hand), my resignation was on the boss's desk.

B
                "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                  Soooo, if he parked across four handicapped stalls, would that equal four $500 tickets?

Ahem.

That's why I like the 4-tickets-and-you're-gone rule in town here. Park parallel across 4 spaces, get 4 tickets, and get towed, all in one fell swoop....
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                    That's why I like the 4-tickets-and-you're-gone rule in town here. Park parallel across 4 spaces, get 4 tickets, and get towed, all in one fell swoop....
                    Me likes this
                    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post

Hmm..Lets see.. (500x4)= $2000 plus tow..since it was a big truck, I would think that would be more then your standard tow..

Plus..
                      add the Minivan.. .. Wow.. This could easily add up to $4000 - $5000 1 night stay
                      Last edited by drunkenwildmage; 08-04-2010, 12:34 PM. Reason: Cn't typ wrt a dm
                      Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

My parents were driving my sister to university in Halifax and had left stuff in the van (no, I don't know why) and lost her laptop and the travel CDs. The irony is, and I know this doesn't matter to someone who doesn't care about the law, technically my dad didn't need to replace the CDs. (The insurance paid for him to do so anyhow). Because all he carries are the CDs himself, he still had the cases and the liners at home. Apparently this meant he still had the rights to a copy of the music.

Comment

I had a handicapped parking story from yesterday: I went to the university here for registration. As I'm sitting at the light to wait to turn into the parking lot I see this girl in a little coupe stalking the tiny lot for a spot to park. The only spot left was the handicapped spot, and the driver kept rolling past it real slow. I could tell she was debating pulling into it. As the light turned green and I pulled into the lot, she made her decision and pulled into the handicapped spot.

I pulled up behind her and waited. Hey, she could have had one of the hanging placards instead of the permanent plates. But, no, she didn't. She looked up into her rearview mirror, saw me waiting for the spot, saw me looking right at her, sort of slumped in the seat for a moment, and then backed out of the handicapped spot for me to have it.
                          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
                            Hmm..Lets see.. (500x4)= $2000 plus tow..since it was a big truck, I would think that would be more then your standard tow..

Plus..
                            add the Minivan.. .. Wow.. This could easily add up to $4000 - $5000 1 night stay
                            wow, i would have just let them stay there and called the cops to issue tickets. and i think he would have argued with the cops and i'm sure they would have provided him a new place to stay for the night.
                            there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

Working...
                            X