X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two calls and a Wrong Number

three short stories this time

Thanks for the Clarity
    Not even five minutes into my shift, phone rings, and a customer asks for "Windows 7 Explorer" for a computer he bought used. Not entirely sure, I ask if it's Internet Explorer, and he says it is. We don't sell it. So, trying to help out, I point out that you could probably download it off the internet from another browser, and the following happens:

Me: Okay, do you have a program called Firefox?
    Customer: Well, it was on here, but i got rid of it. I don't like that operating system.
    Me: It's an internet browser.
    Customer: Yeah, that. It just saves too much information, and just so you know, people can backhack it and tear down your computer.
    Me: ... *tries to get the phone conversation done as soon as possible.*

Annnnd I'm done. Congratulations, you have used the word backhack in a serious tone. Everyone who knows a decent amount about computers knows that backhack is actually a super secret term used to tell everyone that you have no bloody clue what to do involving computers. If only that was the only bad caller that day...

How did you do that?
    Unfortunately no, within a minute of that call, get another one. Now this one isn't entirely sucky... but if you are having an issue with your cable, try calling your cable provider before Star-Mart. It's not the TV's fault that you... wait... it says analog on the channel? on a TV you bought earlier today? How in Hades did you do that?! Luckily, the customer did manage to understand to call her cable provider, and didn't get angry, so not sucky as much as just a call that shouldn't have happened.

Wrong Number
    Surprisingly, not about a phone call at all. Customer wants to get a wall mount and price match with a competitor for $69. The Tilting Wall Mount she has is about a hundred dollars, and is for large TVs (32 - 55). There's also a low profile mount, same size, for $89. I ask if she has a sales ad, and she says no, but we can call them. Not really wanting to do that, i try to say that no we can't (we can, but it has to be the exact model number and have everything the same.) She says she works for wal-mart, and yes we can (in hindsight, i call BS.) Thus trapped, i go on to try to call to see if it is the right one, and notice the cell phone rep is on the only phone that dials out. pointing that out, she calls them herself... or tries to at least. After getting the wrong store from 411, i grab a phone book, and she presumably dials the store to ask.

I say presumably, because she just talks to the guy, asks for the price and model number... but doesn't let me confirm. Pointing out that i need to confirm this, she gets upset and just exclaims that she'll go to the other store. The ZMS that witnessed the whole thing said that it was probably the wrong model number.

That's all for now.

I pretty much guarantee that both the competitors price and the model number were not what she quoted. Otherwise, she would have made him repeat it to you so she could rub it in and feel superior.
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I'm in yer wally worldz.. backhackin yer ipodz!
      Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Media Play used to call competitors on the customer's behalf in order to price match. But Wally-Mert certainly never did. Most places require an actual competitors add, otherwise everyone would claim that lovely $1300 flat screen was only $500 at a competitor.

Besides, ever try to navigate through a company's voicemail (Best Buy, I'm looking at you)? There's a reason the customer doesn't want to do it, it can be a painful and time-consuming process.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
          I'm in yer wally worldz.. backhackin yer ipodz!
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
          X