This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No badge = Not working!

I knew this would happen when my company went from vests over plain clothes to the blue/khaki combo. Now, policy is that if we're on break or off the clock in any form, we're not to display our name badge. Fair enough. So people, when you see someone walking around wearing the store colors and there is no badge, LEAVE US ALONE! It means we are on our own time, and at that moment are just another homo sapian wearing really boring clothes. For all you know, the person in blue and khaki doesn't even work there. I expect this situation to become even more amusing/headdesk-inducing with most schools implementing the khaki pants + plain shirt combo; imagine all the poor students being mistaken for employees.

This morning I was just coming in, and in rather a hurry to get to the time clock to punch in on time, and someone in an electric cart flagged me down and 'asked' if I could get her a new one, because the one she was in was dying. I apologized, explained that I was off the clock, and pointed out another employee three frigging feet away from me who could help her, and I got cat-butt faced for it. It was just a little thing, but stuff like that is a crappy way to start off a work day.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

i see this lasting all of a week when customers start complaining about associates not helping them.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Oh well, the dress code has been in practice for a few years now. I've only just been experiencing it. I left the company in '06 before it started and came back in April. Was allowed to wear jeans for about 6 weeks because I was on remodel, but those of us who were hired on as permanent employees are stuck with the khaki pants like everyone else. It kind of sucks.

Comment

Yes, SC's have no concept that somebody else might have 'personal time'. Every minute of every day should be about THEM. When I worked retail for Wally World, we didn't have a dress code except the 'smock'. However, people would remember me and even if I didn't have it on, would STILL expect me to do whatever it is they wanted.

"Can you get more cashiers to the front?"
        "Such and such won't cash my check, can you?"
        "You need to open a register, and check me out." (Oh THIS one was my favorite).

Yeah, it is NOT fun.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I was on my lunch break walking around drinking a clear cup of lemonade and had someone come up to me and ask for help. I told him I wasn't working at the time. He just stared at me for a minute and said "So you aren't going to help me." I said that I was on my own time but I just saw a coworker a couple of isles over. He went and complained to my manager and complained that I wouldn't help him. My manager said he claimed he was shocked when he got told that I was at lunch and didn't have to help him on my own time and he stormed out.

Comment

I've started going into work wearing a 'home' shirt and changing into my store shirt in the ladies' room, then changing back again when I leave - the customers see the royal blue shirt and just home straight in on it. One got me the other day as I was walking in - I hadn't even got properly into the store, I had my handbag in one hand and my car keys in the other but these were apparently invisible....
            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Much like Mytical, I used to get recognized at the grocery store even when not in work clothes. Actually, I still do and I haven't worked at the local store since 1997...

The worst had to have been when I was in shopping during my vacation. Work attire was collared buttondown shirt, tie, khakis/slacks, and an apron - and guys had to be clean shaven.

On my vacation, I was wearing ripped jeans, a Metallica t-shirt, and hadn't shaved for nearly a full week. But a regular customer saw me, and asked me to check out back for an item. She lodged a complaint about me - by name - with my boss, who spent over an hour trying to figure who the customer really meant since I was on vacation.

My boss didn't find out the real story until I came back to work the following week. Needless to say, I was severely flogged for not helping a customer on my own time when I was clearly not working.

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
                For all you know, the person in blue and khaki doesn't even work there.
                Like this?

Comment

Don't you guys know that the moment you set foot within a 5 mile radius of the store, you are automatically required by the Law of Cosmic Customer Entitlement to help everybody who demands it, and you can't stop working until you again step outside that 5 mile radius?
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yeah, been there done that, too.

I got written up a few years ago for refusing to work during my lunch break. I'd ordered food from a local restaurant, and went on break when it arrived. But I'd forgotten to order a drink, so I went to the soda machine to get one. I took a short cut through the Fast Track area (was working in the ER that day, so a different department). The PA wanted me to set up a suture tray for me. I told him I was on break, and didn't have time (I get 30 minutes, no more no less. The charge nurse wasn't going to extend my break just because I'd helped out in Fast Track).

I got written up. My supervisor told me the expectation was I would always pitch in to help whenever asked. It didn't matter that a) I was on break, or b) it wasn't even my scheduled work area.

Worst part was the sob PA lied, and complained that all he wanted was for me to open a suture pack, because he was wearing sterile gloves.

Which just opened more questions: How'd he get out of the room without contaminating his gloves (Fast Track has doors not curtains), what business did he have being out of that room with sterile gloves (automatic contamination, per sterile protocols), and why didn't he just get it himself, since he was standing right next to the cart when he asked me in the first place (as was the nurse who actually worked in that department).

They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                      I've started going into work wearing a 'home' shirt and changing into my store shirt in the ladies' room, then changing back again when I leave - the customers see the royal blue shirt and just home straight in on it. One got me the other day as I was walking in - I hadn't even got properly into the store, I had my handbag in one hand and my car keys in the other but these were apparently invisible....
                      I may start doing that as well. I know I'll wear a light graphic tee on days like today, when I plan on shopping with Mom before I clock in. Then I'll throw the blue shirt on top when I go to work. I've even been walking towards or from the door with coworkers, cell phones, keys, and drinks in our hands, and we still get stopped. Even weirder is the fact that when an off-the-clock worker is standing next to an on-the-clock one, guess who the SC's always address with their need for help?

Comment

I only get 30 minutes for my break too, and that's supposed to be from the moment I leave my till to the moment I get back to it. But it's extremely rare that I can get from my till to the staff staircase without getting stopped at least once. I just add those minutes onto the end of my break - heaven knows I end up working enough unpaid extra time at the end of my shift (due to not getting relieved on time) without eating into my break as well.
                        Nobody has said anything to me about it yet.

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
                        I've even been walking towards or from the door with coworkers, cell phones, keys, and drinks in our hands, and we still get stopped.
                        I've been walking along trying to juggle / balance a coffee, a hot roll, a newspaper, my purse and a bottle of water all at once and I will still hear the dreaded 'Excuse me!'
                        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

When I was working for Barnes and Noble cafe a few years ago, our uniform was black shirt over black pants. I went in with a friend on a day off to shop for books wearing my normal street clothes (colorful top over jeans). One of the managers walks up to me while I was browsing the racks and says "They need help in the cafe. Why are you on break?".

I thought he was joking at first, but he wasn't. I said "This is my day off".

He looked at me confused for a second and then said "Then why the hell are you here?" and walked off.

Comment

Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!
                            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

The last time this happened to me and the SC wanted to complain, this was the situation: I was done for the day. I had a cart with my purse and drink in it. I was still wearing my work pants, but had a huge black sweatshirt on. I was looking at stuff in ladies' clothing, refolding a shirt I looked at. Some lady I didn't recognize asked me if I knew about something at the store across town. I've never even worked at that store, only mine. I replied that I didn't know; I don't shop for clothes at that store. She wanted my name so she could report me.
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                              X