X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Fleur View Post
    bahaha, so true

i actually live on the border of ypsi and saline, only a few miles from the outskirts of ann arbor, and in any given week i will be all over the place. it's fascinating to see the differences within like a ten square mile area, from built-up ann arbor to slummy downtown ypsi, and then small-town saline to BFE milan.
    I usually call Ypsilanti "Ypsitucky" - especially the area east of Depot Town.

I'm just off of M-5 on the border of Novi, Farmington & Farmington Hills.... Hi Neighbor!
    "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

Quoth bardicwench View Post
      I don't know what it is... Ann Arbor is just next to Ypsi and there are a lot of rich (and snooty) people there... and Ypsi is like the trailer park next door. It's kinda scary how people seem to lose IQ points when they cross from A2 to Ypsi.
      Haha, too true! I used to live in Ann Arbor, and it was rare when I went to Ypsi. I was always told by people how cruddy it was
      "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

The whole Chinese/Japanese thing reminded me of this exchange from King of the Hill:

Hank meets Kahn for the first time.

Hank Hill: So are you Chinese or Japanese?
        Minh Souphanousinphone: No, we are Laotian.
        Bill Dauterive: The ocean? What ocean?
        Kahn Souphanousinphone: From Laos, stupid! It's a landlocked country in South East Asia between Vietnam and Thailand, population approximately 4.7 million!

Hank ponders this for a few seconds.

Hank Hill: So are you Chinese or Japanese?
        Khan Souphanousinphone:: D'oh!
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Oh that is a CLASSIC King of the Hill moment.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            OOOO i've been to Darwin too!

they have a really nice tour company that does a biking waterfall tour.
            i don't remember the company name though

but i do remember how great the water looked. i wasn't use to seeing rivers where the water was clear all the way to the bottom.
            The houses in the residential areas, before you get to the downtown area, looked like houses you'd see in the U.S. -- except for the thick, tropical vegetation. In California or Florida you'll see a palm tree or two, or maybe even three, close together... But in Darwin, there was deep, lush, jungle-like vegetation. It was really neat.

Our ship was at anchor, so we had to take a boat ride to get to shore. The water was some kinda blue! Really bright, like turquoise. Also neat.
            Last edited by SailorMan; 08-09-2010, 03:05 PM.
            Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

There's a coffee store here (sells the beans, grinds them for you, etc. Love the Seville Orange!)...one day while I was in there, I heard the owner and a customer having a discussion about the differences between the Japanese and Korean languages. In depth. Nice to hear an intelligent conversation once in a while.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Okyakubaka ya ne... Shitsurei shimashita, kono keitei ni Nihongo wo kakanai.

Comment

Quoth wasabi999 View Post
                  Okyakubaka ya ne... Shitsurei shimashita, kono keitei ni Nihongo wo kakanai.
                  Got a translation, please?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                    Got a translation, please?

Rapscallion
                    Nihongo wo sukoshi dake oboete, tasukeru koto ga dekiru to omou:

Anyways, I believe it says something along the lines of "The stupid guests (customers) were rude." And then something about not being concerned with Japanese in this (boat) race?

Wow...my Japanese is rusty (which before you ask, is roughly what the first half of my first sentence said). And romaji is painfully lacking in useful information.
                    "This isn't a home, this is a swirling vortex of entropy." - Sheldon "The Big Bang Theory"

Comment

Quoth Fleur View Post
                      "I WANT TO GO HOME"
                      "Uchi e ikitai yo!" (?)

It's been sooooo long since my last class...

Sukoshi nihongo wo hanasu ga, jyouzu ja nai n da yo >_< Benkyou, benkyou...

(trans: I speak a little Japanese, but I suck at it/am unskilled) >_< Practice, practice...)
                      Quoth Calie View Post
                      Nihongo wo sukoshi dake oboete
                      What Calie said ~_~

One odd thing i did notice about taking the language...or at least, something unexpected...was this: As hard as it is to write, I found that Japanese is far, far easier to *speak* than, say, German or Spanish (I've studied them, as well, and I'm even rustier at those).

The exception, of course, being Past Tense. That's a bitch in any language.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                      X