This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing time twits.

I've had two incidents happen right when I was getting ready to close.

First there was this one guy left inside the store, whom I had to remind to proceed to the register because it was after closing. He simply looked at me, turned around and continued idly browsing. He finally sauntered over to the register after the other closing cashier and the nighttime stock clerk told him we were closed. I scan his items then process his credit card when he decides he wants to redeem the accumulated points on the card rather than charge it as credit. He tells me this just seconds before the transaction was processed as a credit charge, so of course, the transaction went through and it was too late to reverse it. So I told him the transaction had already gone through as a credit charge and he responds with,
    "Yeah, you would have realized that if you were paying attention."

Realizing this guy wouldn't go away unless his points were redeemed, I told him the only way I could reverse the transaction was to void everything, refund his card and start his whole order again from scratch. He had maybe a dozen items, so when he saw that I had to void all of his items one by one and them scan them in a second time, I heard him mutter under his breath,

"You gotta be kidding me."

I remained calm throughout all of this, refunding the credit transaction and redeeming his available points, explaining the correction to him by handing him the receipt which he yanked out of my hand, saying for a second time,

"You should pay more attention to your customers."

Now this guy was obnoxious from the beginning when we had approached him to tell him we were closing, and I just felt like responding with,

"And you should be less rude to the employees."

After correcting his transaction and counting the final register, I was still in the store 30 minutes after closing when the phone rang, and this time-wasting conversation ensued,

Me: Good evening, *name of our store*, how can I help you?
    Strange girl: Yes, I was wondering if you could check if you have something in stock for me.
    Me: Well, we're actually closed right now...
    Strange girl: But can you still check?
    Me: Okay, what it is you're looking for?
    Strange girl: Do you have chicken noodle soup?
    Me: I'm pretty sure we do. Any specific kind?
    Strange girl: The one with the small noodles in it.
    Me: Yeah, but any specific brand?
    Strange Girl: *Long pause* No...

That's right, just a simple "no" without any other details.

By this point, I realized I was being yanked around, so I called over the nighttime stocking clerk to handle the call. He continued answering whatever random, elusive questions she had with an amused smile on his face, obviously leading her on in her little game. After he hung up, I asked him if it was someone he knew, because I thought she sounded a bit like this girl who often calls, asking to speak to him, but he just said no, he didn't, that it was just a crank call.

The only positive experience today was that of an old lady, of maybe 90 years old, who had lost her hearing aid earlier in the day before I arrived for my shift. She was practically in tears and visibly upset because she said the hearing aid was very expensive. I asked around, to the others who had been working all that afternoon if they had recalled seeing a hearing aid anywhere. Then this other guy who had just finished his shift remembered her dropping it behind one of the registers, right beside our phone, and that's exactly where it was. After retrieving the hearing aid out from under dust covered wires and other miscellaneous objects, the lady bent down, cupped my face, kissed me, repeating "thank you!" over and over again. It felt good to make that little old lady smile with relief, considering the other nitwits I had to subsequently deal with.
    Last edited by GroceryGIrl; 08-09-2010, 05:16 AM.

I'm happy to hear about the little old lady. Life is too short and people forget that a little gratitude and niceness goes a long way. One nice customer makes up for a lot of suck.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Agreed! I love making the days of the elderly. There's a 90+ year old woman who comes into our store often and she was beaming when she realized that her M&M's were on sale and she wouldn't have to pay full price since M&M's are her favorite. She kept calling me ""my sweetheart!" over and over.
      Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

You have to answer the phone after the store's closing time?? That's messed up.

Nice about the old lady. Something like that can your whole day better.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Nice old people make me smile
          And for the chicken soup girl, what?
          Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
          http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            You have to answer the phone after the store's closing time?? That's messed up.

Nice about the old lady. Something like that can your whole day better.

Often, the alarm company will call. And if nobody from the store answers, they call the owner or one of the managers at home.

The phone had rung a second time while I was putting everything away in the office but I didn't answer that time, figuring it was probably the same crank caller. Both calls were too close together to have it be someone else.

Comment

Working...
            X