This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antiques and Tourism

First, a bit of background on my job: I've been working in a family owned antique shop for 5 years now, and I've got a good grasp on how things work. We also aren't a normal shop. Rather than buying our own antiques and selling them, we rent out tables and locked cases by the month or the year and we make all our money off long our dealers rent space from us, no consignment percentages off items sold or anything. As such, an unhappy dealer is a very bad thing for us. An unhappy customer...not so much. Not that these circumstances mean I blow off any customer I don't like. I try and be polite and patient with all customers, no matter how much they suck. Sometimes that even leads to greater closure.

Now, I live in Maine, which if you've ever been there in the dead of summer, you know it's a tourist hellhole. People from around the country come to stay on our beaches, try our lobster, and other such things. Usually the tourists are all right, but we get a good share of people who think we need to kowtow to their whims or we'll suddenly go out of business. I had one of those people recently and it ended rather hilariously for me.

This old couple was looking at a large number of expensive glass items, putting them aside to pay for later. When they brought up a very expensive pitcher, the husband told his wife to take a picture of it to send to their daughter. We don't allow photos because we had a stint where people were using the photos they took to misrepresent their items on ebay and other auction sites. After politely telling them we just don't allow photography in the store, the gentleman stepped aside with me, and begins to browbeat me about how 'You're messing up a big sale here' and 'You need to stop being such an a**hole'. I was a bit taken aback, but I continued politely insisting that these were the rules and I wouldn't break them. Finally fed up, he walked away and stopped at the foot of the stairs to our second level, long enough to shout back at me 'That's the problem with you Mainers! You're all stubborn jacka**es!'

It gets better though. Once the couple came down to pay for their merchandise, they used a credit card, which was declined by our machine. It's stated on our computer for all to see that if this happens then we charge 20 cents for the fee that the banks charge us for a declined transaction, and when I told them this the gentleman nearly lost it, beginning to berate me again and call me a 'Pompous A**hole'. I ignored it and simply ran a different card with the 20 cent charge, while the couple blamed our machines for the mistake. Once they left, I checked with the owner to make sure all the machines worked properly, and when I left the office, the couple from the depths had returned, calling their bank. After making me listen to the response they got, I offered to undo the 20 cent charge, thinking to myself that I'd just take 20 cents of my own and attach it to the receipt to be done with it. The wife seemed gracious enough, just saying she wanted me to see that there wasn't a problem with her card. But the man again decided to call me names as he stormed out.

Every time someone leaves the store, whether they bought anything or just used out bathrooms before getting on the road again, I always wish them a nice day. This couple was no different, though as they left, I loaded up as much saccharine sweetness in my voice as possible and gave a big smile and hearty 'Have a very nice day!' In a moment I will always remember, the man spun around in the entryway and hollered back 'F*** YOU!'

Sometimes, I love this job in spite of the customers.

What was the problem with the card? I hate it when cards don't go through and the customers insists there should be no problem with it.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Not sure. Due to the large amount of money people sometimes spend on their cards, in a place far from their home, the banks will decline it for fear of the card number having been stolen. All I know is that our bank, when called, had charged the 20 cents, so I was in the right to do as I did.

Comment

Ugh, what a jerk!

Sadly, many tourists are like that. They think that without them, the area's entire economy will go into a tailspin

I've never been up to Maine, but I have spent a fair amount of time in southern New Jersey's Cape May area. It's a busy touristy area in the summer, and yes, the locals are very resentful of tourists. In fact, it's not uncommon to hear someone whisper "Fucking tourist," after having to deal with a bad one.

But, I've been to antique shops like the one you've described. Cape May has a few like that--the shop is split up to several 'stalls,' which might be rented out to one or more people trying to shift things. One stall might contain old books, another might have baseball-related items, a third model trains, etc.

Oh, and welcome to CS
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

you should have yelled back, still sweetly "ewww, no thank you. you are so NOT my type'
          (unless it would it would get you in trouble)

Comment

Quoth RichardKaine View Post
            'That's the problem with you Mainers! You're all stubborn jacka**es!'
            ...so why don't they go somewhere else on holidays?
            FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

My mother worked for a place like that until she "retired" (she's 49 and it was part-time).

She had some interesting stories before too, but I don't recall anything like that.

I halfway expected it to be a problem with the credit card, in that they didn't have enough room on it.

Comment

In regards to a card being declined while travelling due to fraud/theft concerns, it's why I always make a point of calling my bank when I will be travelling and letting them know, so they can make a note of it on my account. For example, say I'm going to San Francisco- I call the bank and tell them "I will be travelling to San Francisco, leaving on whatever date and returning whenever. I'll be connecting in New York coming and going, so if you see transactions popping up in NY and San Francisco, they're most likely mine. I figure it's doubly important to do this in my case since I don't use my credit card for everyday purchases, it's mostly an online thing.

Comment

Ahh tourists--we have them all winter here in Florida..but all year in smaller numbers...freaking snowbirds

Why do we call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Comment

Awww! You never told me that story!

You should have directed him to the complaint grenade. One reason I almost wish I worked with you and the brat instead of my store >.>
                    I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

Comment

Working...
                    X