This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do work here, but...

This one happened to me last week, on pay day. A customer, who has been a SC in the past on several occasions, recognized me when I came in to pick up my paycheck. I was wearing something not anywhere near my work clothes (we wear black shirts and khakis, I was wearing a blue and white shirt and jeans). While I was standing in the lobby waiting for the manager, one of our regulars came up to me with his empty popcorn bag and asked for a refill. I told him I wasn't working, and also that because I was out of uniform I wasn't allowed to go back behind the concession stand. To make it even better, we get paid on Mondays, and it being a weekday, it wasn't busy at all and in fact there was no line at the concession stand either.

He didn't like this at all, and demanded to speak to the manager. I told him that she would be right down (she was getting my paycheck from the office upstairs). When she came down, he complained to her that I wouldn't get his refill for him. Without missing a beat, she said to him the following: "So, you expect my employees to serve you on their time off?"

At least he walked away at that point. Knowing how clever she was, I was kind of hoping it would continue.

Wow. What a jerk, plain and simple. Glad your boss backed you up.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

One more reason why all employees should have direct deposit.

Or wear masks when going in to get their checks.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

We need to issue your manager a ticket, so she can get her place in line, when we finally get our Awesome Manager With a Backbone Cloning Machine designed, built, and operating.

What number are we at now, ayway?

Five?

Mike
        Meow.........

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
          We need to issue your manager a ticket, so she can get her place in line, when we finally get our Awesome Manager With a Backbone Cloning Machine designed, built, and operating.

What number are we at now, ayway?

Five?

Mike
          Yeah, she's definitely one of the awesome ones. I don't know how she does it, but during shifts she blatantly yells at everyone, but in a manner that comes off as meant nicely and semi-sarcastic, if that makes any sense. If she yells, "I want you to do X, RIGHT NOW!" She actually does want us to do it, but no one gets offended or taken aback by her yelling, we just think it's funny. It's part of her awesome personality.

She's an odd one, a bit hard to describe. But I love her.

Comment

It sounds like he did it just to be a jerk. He succeeded.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I worked for a fast food restaurant when I was 15. The owner was a nice guy, he came in once a week or so for coffee.

He'd come in, ask you to come over to him at the counter (if it wasn't busy) introduce himself if you were new, or refer to you by name, and ask for a coffee cup.

Why didn't he get it himself? Because he wasn't technically working there and had no business behind the counter (that was his motto).

I've used that motto myself, in that I won't go into an employees only area unless I'm on the clock (or have a really really good reason).

At my day job since I'm (technically) salary, if I get a call on a Saturday (it's happened) I answer it, and I take care of it. That said, I always make sure I put down an extra half hour pay for myself when it happens. My boss however, considers his job his job and does it 24-7, even when recovering from prostate surgery at home.

Comment

On several occasions, I have gone shopping at my store during my day off and customers would approach me to ask me questions about the whereabouts of certain items. I'm thinking I should perhaps start shopping elsewhere.

Comment

It won't help. Believe me. I've had people expect me to help them when I was in the mall because they recognized me from my job.
                  Last edited by Kristev; 08-12-2010, 04:41 AM. Reason: A spelling error.
                  Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Magners View Post
                    Yeah, she's definitely one of the awesome ones. I don't know how she does it, but during shifts she blatantly yells at everyone, but in a manner that comes off as meant nicely and semi-sarcastic, if that makes any sense. If she yells, "I want you to do X, RIGHT NOW!" She actually does want us to do it, but no one gets offended or taken aback by her yelling, we just think it's funny. It's part of her awesome personality.
                    Because when it's NOT busy, she makes sure you know she respects you as people with your own lives and personalities.

She also makes sure you know her purpose on-shift, in busy times, is simply to get the job -done-.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                      It won't help. Believe me. I've had people expect me to help them when I was in the mall because they recognized me from my job.
                      Quoted for Truth.

I've gone to a supermarket in the same chain, in my street clothes, and had people ask me where things were and for help. I'd never even been in that store before!

Comment

And this is why my husband makes me go shopping with other people now. He loves his job, the store is great, but the annoying people make it suck.
                        Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                        http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Working...
                        X