This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn Clock Vulture

This happened to my CWs after I'd already left for the day.

At the wholesale club, we now close at 8pm on Sundays. It used to be 9pm, but back at the end of January, it was moved back to 8pm. For whatever reason, management has not changed the recording when you dial the store, which tells you our club's hours. It still lists Sunday as 9pm.

So, there's a reason why this guy showed up when he did, but anyway...

It's 8:05pm. CR, who's working FDLP, stops Mr. Clock Vulture (CV) and tells him we're closed. CV says he called ahead, the recording said we close at 9. CR apologizes, but points out the posted hours outside, which state we close at 8pm. CV says he only needs to get a gallon of milk, CR holds firm, CV asks to speak to a manager.

Sure enough, the MOD, EC, lets CV come in to get his gallon of milk. And guess what?

He leaves with about ten items, held them all up for another fifteen minutes while he did his goddamn shopping.

When he came to the front door, CR called him on his "just one milk." CV, of course, didn't apologize.

Seriously, if you show up at a store, and get told they're closed-- regardless of what you personally thought their hours were-- just walk away. If you DO manage to get inside to get your one gallon of milk, JUST GET THE ONE GALLON OF MILK. The peons of retail have lives outside of work, you doucherocket.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

i think he does; the regular workers aren't responsible for the message, and just because it wasn't changed, doesn't mean workers should pay the price.

cv was a douche for doing additional shopping; 'just need some milk' is exactly that-get your milk and gtfo.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I would've been peeved if the hours were one thing but had changed without any other notice, but it's not the normal worker's fault. Management needs to get it changed and sooner rather then later, to avoid something like this from happening yet again.
      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Seeing the hours posted doesn't necessarily negate what he heard on the phone. He has no way of knowing which stated hours were correct....I personally have seen stores that have the wrong hours posted on the door. Stuff like this is very frustrating to the customer. BUT...as others said, management needs to get on the ball here. It's not hard to change a phone recording. And, yeah, if he said he only needed milk, that's all he should have gotten. Or go somewhere else.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Regardless of the confusion regarding store hours, never believe a customer who says he/she only wants to get one thing. You'll be stuck waiting there for at least 15 minutes while their one item turns into an entire order.

Comment

Yeah, not the employees fault if the store doesn't update, but still annoying to the customer.

I hate rushing to a store that states it closes at 5pm and find it's closed at 4pm. It's a waste of my time, especially when it's a regular habit of the store.
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
              Yeah, not the employees fault if the store doesn't update, but still annoying to the customer.

I hate rushing to a store that states it closes at 5pm and find it's closed at 4pm. It's a waste of my time, especially when it's a regular habit of the store.
              I had that experience a few years back at Hollywood Video - this was when when the library was open until 9 pm, and one night I figured I'd head over to the store to rent some movies after getting off work. (this being because the posted hours on the door stated they were open until midnight) Turned out that the hours had been changed, and they were actually just open until 9:30 (which was when I got there)

I have to say that the clerk who was locking the door was cool and said he'd let me in if I knew which movie I was looking for, but since I didn't, I told him I'd just come back tomorrow.

Comment

I've had a similar situation, except with access routes instead of closing times. A certain shipper had 2 driveways, "A" and "B". When I started picking up there, the truck entrance was driveway "A". A couple years later, they changed it to driveway "B", with driveway "A" being for the employee parking lot. I asked, and they said it was a permanent change.

About 6 months later (only picked up there occasionally), I was approaching town from the opposite direction than I normally did, so I picked the menu option for recorded driving directions, and it ended up at driveway "A".

I eventually got a live person on the line, and asked if they had gone back to using driveway "A", because the recorded directions said to go there. Turns out they were still using driveway "B", and the recording hadn't been changed. The way things were set up after the change, someone bringing an 18 wheeler into driveway "A" and finding out they were in the wrong place would have a hard time getting out.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                  cv was a douche for doing additional shopping; 'just need some milk' is exactly that-get your milk and gtfo.
                  Agreed, but also the MOD should've told CV to take his ass back home and come back when the store's open.
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I don't have any experience and so no perspective on retail, but I think that if I were MOD in that situation I would find out exactly what milk he wanted and bring it to the front for him and get him out in a couple of minutes. Accepts responsibility for failing to update the voicemail message and avoids the just-one-item-oops-got-a-cartload situation.

Win-win?

Comment

I completely agree with Jack, honestly it would save everyone time as long as the customer wasn't planning to be sucky.

Comment

But it was obvious that he didn't want only milk. The wholesale club couldn't have been the only place in town to get milk if that's all he was after. There's grocery stores, convenience stores, probably a Wally World around somewhere.
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I misread the title as "Cock Vulture".

...and to be honest the contents did little to change that impression. >.>

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                            But it was obvious that he didn't want only milk. The wholesale club couldn't have been the only place in town to get milk if that's all he was after. There's grocery stores, convenience stores, probably a Wally World around somewhere.
                            This is a good point. Our shopping center has a Wally World right next door, and there's a "Flower" grocery store just past them. Both of which have the kind of milk he was looking for, too.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I do tend to assume too much good intent in speculations. But that's all it is, really. I couldn't say anything if I weren't there to understand the situation fully.

Comment

Working...
                              X