This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The night from HELL

Being Friday the 13th, I was hoping for something kooky or weird to happen. No such luck

One of my first customers was a woman buying clothes for her 5 year old, who was asking for candy and gum at the checkout. She then started, without warning, screaming at the top of her lungs in this kid's face "WILL YOU STOOOOOOP. You have been nothing but rude to me THIS. ENTIRE. DAY. JUSSST STTTTOOOOP!" The entire front end heard this, and we're a supercenter with 36 front registers. Then she had some friends with her as well, also buying clothes for their little girls. At least they didn't scream, but they left behind about half of their shopping because they "had a limit" and then proceeded to take their sweet time deciding which outfits they should get. Every now and then one would turn around and try to engage the customers behind them by holding up a child's outfit and saying "Oh my gosh, I have SUCH good taste, don't I?" or "Isn't this the MOST adorable thing you have EVER seen?" Said customers simply gave a disinterested nod mixed with a bit of death glare. I was surprised they didn't pick up their stuff and find another lane.

Not long after this lovely group left with their bellowing, angry friend, we (myself, nearby coworkers, and waiting customers), noticed a kid shrieking. Now, this is normal for the store on a busy afternoon, yes, but the shrieking continued. I looked at the clock on my register and I can tell you that this went on for at least ten minutes. A woman was holding a boy who appeared to be 2 or 3 and he was just sitting in her lap on a bench by the food side doors, screaming his head off. And I don't mean crying. We're talking "Oh my god, the boogieman is here, I'm gonna DIE right now!" shrieking. Some of the CSM's and a girl from the service desk walked down there to talk with the woman and try to settle the kid down and find out what was wrong with him, because we were starting to wonder if he was genuinely in pain and our nerves were also fried from listening to it for so long. I asked them when they returned and they said "There's nothing wrong with him, he's just not getting his way." The woman stood up from where she was sitting and . . . it stopped. Magically. I think the next four customers in line answered my "How are you today" question with "Great! Now that that noise has stopped!"

***Please, please don't turn this into a child-raising debate type thread, I'd be more than happy to discuss that in Fratching. I just had to vent about my horrible, noisy night***

Two more shifts of tax free weekend . . . gah. I'm glad I was able to snag some stuff for a little less today, but I'm not sure it was entirely worth it! So sick of ringing up clothes . . .
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

First story sounds like the woman got frustrated with son being a brat. Second story sounds like kid just wanted mum to get out of his face. Either way, neither handled it well. Especially first woman.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

I'll admit the boy in the first story was being a brat, but I didn't appreciate my eardrums being abused as a side effect of his talking-to. Me and anyone within a 30 foot radius. If it was another kid or frustrated sibling screaming at him like that, I could understand. But a grown woman? Yeesh.

Comment

My mom had no qualms about screaming at the top of her lungs at me when I was a kid. I'm not the type of person who tolerates bratty kids, and I know I had my moments a few times as a kid, and I'm not against a parent doing the regular routine to calm a kid down, but the screaming is too much. The parent begins to embarrass themselves more than the kid is embarrassing them.

Many times as an older kid and a teen, my mom would just start screaming at me in stores, sometimes for no reason other than I made a comment about an ugly shirt or an outrageous price on something. It would trigger her to go ballistic and all Doctor Phil on me about my attitude and my problems, and she'd get louder and louder when I'd calmly try to ask her to calm down or that I understood (even lied a few times and told her I was sorry I'd work on my attitude).

The best part is that my mom was so delusional, I'd say "Mom, you're making a scene!" and she'd reply "YOU are making a scene and embarrassing yourself!"
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

It's bad in person. I have customers do that all the time when I'm on the phone with them. They have the sweetest most angelic voice as they speak with me with their children yelling in the background. When I hear "I'm so sorry, could you hold on one moment" I know to turn down the volume of the headset down. What normally follows sounds like something out of "the Exorcist", like, tone changes from lovely housewife to lead singer of death metal band. "If you kids don't knock it off I'm going to come over there and rip out your teeth one by one until you choke to death on your own blood!" Then they come back on the phone and the lovely housewife voice is back "ha ha, I'm so sorry, tell me again about the automatic draft program..." Sometimes these people scare me more than the customers that yell at me.

Comment

Quoth Sarcastro View Post
            I know to turn down the volume of the headset down. What normally follows sounds like something out of "the Exorcist", like, tone changes from lovely housewife to lead singer of death metal band.
            That is called the "wicked witch" or "Mom" voice. Not what you are saying they *said* but it's just one of those things that sometimes, you just have to let the kids know you are serious, and putting on the serious, "wicked witch" voice for a moment to get your point across and then going back to "Glinda the Good Witching" them actually works.

I'm just sorry you have to be in the middle of it and hear them say some horrible things. )c:
            I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

I had a woman once scream at her child similar to the first tale. The child was an infant. You know, the six-months-old can't-even-sit-up variety? She did it when the child was starting to fuss a little. Yeah. I weep.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Sarcastro View Post
                It's bad in person. I have customers do that all the time when I'm on the phone with them. They have the sweetest most angelic voice as they speak with me with their children yelling in the background. When I hear "I'm so sorry, could you hold on one moment" I know to turn down the volume of the headset down. What normally follows sounds like something out of "the Exorcist", like, tone changes from lovely housewife to lead singer of death metal band. "If you kids don't knock it off I'm going to come over there and rip out your teeth one by one until you choke to death on your own blood!" Then they come back on the phone and the lovely housewife voice is back "ha ha, I'm so sorry, tell me again about the automatic draft program..." Sometimes these people scare me more than the customers that yell at me.
                That sounds just about like how my mom was when my siblings and I were younger, except that it never happened in the middle of a phone call - she'd be fussing at us about something, the phone would ring, and she'd suddenly switch voice tones.

Comment

So would my mom. But she's bi-polar and insane, so we never actually did anything really wrong. That was because we learned never to try to do anything, even if there was nothing wrong with it.
                  Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I HATE strong noises like that. I'd have stressed out very early. Everyone who works with the public like that - you have my sympathy!
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
                      I'll admit the boy in the first story was being a brat, but I didn't appreciate my eardrums being abused as a side effect of his talking-to. Me and anyone within a 30 foot radius. If it was another kid or frustrated sibling screaming at him like that, I could understand. But a grown woman? Yeesh.
                      I agree, nothing like a full grown "adult" making a total show of themselves.

Comment

Oh, these are great (not) on the phone too! Kid screaming bloody murder while the parent tries to conduct business, and I have to keep asking them to repeat everything because I can't hear them over the screaming. Seriously, if your kid is making that much fuss, hang up and deal with it. Putting an ad in the paper for your rustbucket car can wait.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

but they left behind about half of their shopping because they "had a limit"
                          maybe it's me but... isn't that something you should decide on BEFORE you go to the registers? i mean i totally understand having shopping limits, but... these days i usually plan out what i can afford to get before i approach the register.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                            maybe it's me but... isn't that something you should decide on BEFORE you go to the registers? i mean i totally understand having shopping limits, but... these days i usually plan out what i can afford to get before i approach the register.
                            I shop the same way. I can always go back and get more if it turns out things were on sale and I end up under my limit. I'd just be way too embarrassed to dump that much stuff on a cashier. At least this time it was just clothes; it irks me worse when I get $50+ of frozen shrimp and t-bone steaks left behind with me.

Comment

Working...
                            X