This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Free Day Confusion

So I recently move to Salem, Mass, yay. And I recently got a job at the <office supply store>, double yay.

And I guess Mass' tax free days are the 14th and 15th of August. But even in Mass it never ceases to amaze me how many people ask if they can make special arrangements before said tax free day.

The most generic form of this question I can come up with is the one we got when I was at K-Fart.

"So is there anyway I can get the tax off now since the sale is tomorrow?"

Yes. I've been asked that numerous times.

1: It's not a sale. It doesn't even have to do with the store itself and not every store honors tax-free days.

2: How is arranging things for you fair to the millions of other people who are working that day, or don't have money to take advantage of tax free day (IE Me)?

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
    How is arranging things for you fair to the millions of other people who are working that day, or don't have money to take advantage of tax free day (IE Me)?
    Beeeecuzzzzzzzz I'm speh-SHULLLLL!

Mike
    Meow.........

Comment

1: It's not a sale. It doesn't even have to do with the store itself and not every store honors tax-free days.
      I am curious as to the logic of why every store would not honor Tax-Free days... it doesn't cost THEM anything, just the Gov't, and would probably INCREASE business...
      There Can Be Only One

Comment

"So is there anyway I can get the tax off now since the sale is tomorrow?"
        RW: Why sure! All I need is the tax number you received from the State Comptroller's office or the Tax Office for your retail business, organization, school, or church! Oh, you don't have one? I'm sorry, we are unable to do that for you at this time.

And on top of Tax-Free Weekend being last weekend, I have to contend with FD's version of DollarTree's Associate Appreciation weekend THIS weekend.
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I'm glad my state doesn't do that...

Though I was always the one who got called whenever someone did come in with a tax exempt purchase. Even the managers didn't know how to do it half the time.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Never heard of that. Interesting..

Comment

They just had tax-free weekend in FL too.

My mother hid in the house all weekend. She's learned the hard way.

I lived down there for 2 years and my (now) ex-husband used to *insist* on doing the shopping for the kids during tax-free. It was HORRIBLE. I've never seen such entitled assholes and EW's in my life.

The second year I we lived there and he tried to say we were doing it again, I told him HE could go, 'cuz there was no f-ing WAY I was fighting the crowds again.

He wisely declined.
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Duncan MacLeod View Post
                I am curious as to the logic of why every store would not honor Tax-Free days... it doesn't cost THEM anything, just the Gov't, and would probably INCREASE business...
                I honestly don't know.

Comment

Working...
                X