This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not surprisingly, "Limit 1" means "Limit 1"

It's a tax holiday here in Mass, so we were very busy today. Which meant it was the perfect time for someone to keep a register tied up arguing over coupons.

She had received some members-only coupons in her email, and decided to print out multiple copies of the $5 off $25 coupon and try to redeem all of them, despite it quite clearly stating limit one per customer. And apparently either LP or the home office has been cracking down on improper use of coupons, so our managers have been instructed to stand their ground on this sort of issue.

Therefore, she decided to spend a full fifteen minutes arguing with The Don, saying that since she was spending $125+ she should get to use 5 coupons, one for each $25 she spent. Failing that, she wanted to split her order into 5 transactions (on such a busy day are you SHITTING me??).

Each time she tried rephrasing ("No, you don't understand what I'm telling you.....I have spent $25 5 times.....") The Don just told her "The limit is 1 per customer."

I tell you, "broken record" scarcely begins to describe this argument. I don't know where The Don summoned up the patience for this. Of course, the whole time I was stuck ringing on the next register because of this woman.

Finally, the other cashier came back from break and I was able to get off the register.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Quoth Dave1982 View Post

Therefore, she decided to spend a full fifteen minutes arguing with The Don, saying that since she was spending $125+ she should get to use 5 coupons, one for each $25 she spent. Failing that, she wanted to split her order into 5 transactions (on such a busy day are you SHITTING me??).

Each time she tried rephrasing ("No, you don't understand what I'm telling you.....I have spent $25 5 times.....") The Don just told her "The limit is 1 per customer."
    And legitimate coupon users wonder why some stores treat them like dirt. The few mess it up for the many.

People like that really make me ill. Especially because somebody senselessly wasting a cashier's time like that would trigger calls for backup cashiers at my store, along with longer waits in line for everybody else.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      And legitimate coupon users wonder why some stores treat them like dirt. The few mess it up for the many.
      So much WORD to this!!!

I use my coupons legally and responsibly, but I really can't blame cashiers for the occasional cat-butt face I get when I whip them out. And all because of assholes like this.

I try to make life easier by going at off-peak times, but still. I hate being painted with the same brush as idiots like this.

Good on the Don for standing his ground. Clearly she's used to annoying the shit out of stores until they just give her what she wants, which is part of the larger problem.
      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

So she couldn't understand the difference between "one per customer" and "one per transaction"?

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
          So she couldn't understand the difference between "one per customer" and "one per transaction"?
          Eh. She probably could. She's also probably used to pitching a fit in stores and managers caving to her demands, just to get rid of her.
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
            Eh. She probably could. She's also probably used to pitching a fit in stores and managers caving to her demands, just to get rid of her.
            Yep. Bingo. This.

I would have just stared at her blankly after a while. There's no point in even continuing a conversation with such people.

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
              This makes me so mad! I hate seeing people basically being rewarded for their bad behavior! I wouldn't stand for that kind of behavior out of my children and yet stores reward that same behavior and wonder why more people do it.

It is just like rewarding a two year old for screaming their fool head off for M&Ms every time a mother goes shopping and then she wonders why her two year old screams when they go to the store.

If all the stores stopped rewarding people for acting worse than a cranky two year old this type behavior would stop.
              Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Evil Coupon Bitch moved to Massachusetts?

I feel for you, man, i feel for you.

She used to come into my Hut of Pizza. She carried one of those great big coupon organizers. Well, clutched tightly to her bosom, more like, shooting dirty looks at those around her, as if she was afraid someone would steal her precious ("dirty hobbitses! Want to steal our Precious!") Her facial expression was always one of barely contained contempt.

She was one who put her own interpretation on what the coupons were for.

Expiration dates? Expiration dates are for the weak.

Limit one (or two or whatever) per customer? Limits are for lesser mortals.

She would have a coupon for Totino's Party Pizzas for one of the local grocery stores, for example, for 99 cents apiece.

She would try to use said coupon for a medium meat lover's pizza, ordinarily a $9.99 pizza, on the premise that the frozen pizza and our pizza were both pizzas, therefore she can use her coupon.

And she wasn't trying to persuade you of this. In her mind her interpretation of her coupons was the obvious, correct one, and if you didn't see this, well, then, you are obviously too stupid to live. And certainly too stupid to waste manners or courtesy on.

She would make the obvious threats of calls to the Better Business Bureau and the local news media and the Attorney General to report our obvious fraud. I would meet this bluster with a flat, "You want our pizza, you pay our price, the only coupons we'll take from you will be our coupons and the product MUST match what you order." I was, therefore, Evil Incarnate. Sitting in our restaurant and eating our pizza, knowing that she would have to pay for it, full price, was physically painful. Her suffering was sweet, and brought me much joy.

Why did she keep coming to my place, you ask? Because there were places in town where she wasn't allowed on the property. I watched her pushing a shopping cart at a local grocery store, hateful expression in place, coupon organizer clutched tightly to her bosom, when she got spotted by a management type.

Remember that scene in Frankenstein where the villagers chase the Monster through the countryside with pitchforks and torches? It looked a lot like that. I'm surprised she made it out in one piece.
                I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

This is just more proof that every store needs a Port-a-Lupo™, which could be deployed in such an instance to sarcastically point out to the SC how incredibly dense, entitled, arrogant, ridiculous, or any combination thereof, that the SC is being.

The only thing is, the Port-a-Lupo™ would have to be deployed in such a manner that it's origination could not be traced back to the store, or any parent company. It has to appear to have come from some neutral source, otherwise, at least in the SC's eyes, the Port-a-Lupo™ would lose all of its crediblity. (Although the SC may respond to the Port-a-Lupo™ in a manner much the same as they'd respond to a store employee, such as CatButt Face, or a "F**K YOU!)

Mike
                  Meow.........

Comment

It is just like rewarding a two year old for screaming their fool head off for M&Ms every time a mother goes shopping and then she wonders why her two year old screams when they go to the store.
                    Oh, so you know my next-door neighbors?
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

or why things run out faster when the stores don't have coupon limits

Comment

I hate that with a passion; my store has coupons, and they CLEARLY state they cannot be combined with any other offer. The only exception is the % off you get for opening a store charge, or the % off you get in your birthday month. But even then, if the promo is x % off, we take that, THEN we take the otehr %. But they all seem to think you add them, so it comes out to a slightly higher % off. Um no. doesn't work that way.

Then every now and then, you get surprised. i was shopping in Kohls, and had their standard % off coupon, plus a second one, for a dollar amount off of unmentionables...so I asked could I do 2 separate transactions, one for my other stuff, adn a second for the unmentionables, so I could take advantage of both. If they said no, no problem, but she said fine. And then, after she had rung my second purchase, she told me I could use both coupons on it! I said oh, sorry, had I known that, I would have only had you ring my stuff once! But it all worked out.

Comment

Just yesterday I had a SC argue with me, head cashier and the MOD over a expired mfgr. coupon. It expired in June. June 2009. Thankfully MOD told her to get lost in polite terms.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                            Just yesterday I had a SC argue with me, head cashier and the MOD over a expired mfgr. coupon. It expired in June. June 2009. Thankfully MOD told her to get lost in polite terms.
                            Ugh. Pisses me off. It's people like this that give us *decent* couponers a bad name.

Good on your boss for telling her to piss off, though.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                              You should always except expired coupons when the customer insists, I always do.

Three Words:

Expired Coupon Fee

I take expired coupons, however I charge an Expired Coupon Fee, which is the amount of the coupon's face value plus an additional $1 fee for processing.

Comment

Working...
                              X