Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank God I Go On Vacation In Ten Days..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank God I Go On Vacation In Ten Days..

...because I am about to blow my lid!

Paranoid Are We?

A customer presents me with three prescriptions.

Me: "May I have your date of birth please?"

Her: "Why?"

Me: "I need you to confirm it so that I'm sure I have the correct person on the screen."

Her: "There's only one of me in there. You don't need it."

Me: "Ma'am, I am required to verify your date of birth when you drop off a prescription. If you don't give it to me I cannot fill these for you."

Her: (finally give it to me) "This is the last damn time I'm coming here! You have no right asking me personal questions like that!"

Wtf? You're date of birth is on file already. I'm simply asking you to confirm it so that I know I have the right person. I don't have the heart to tell you that I also know where you live and every single medication you take.

Aha! Caught ya!

I had to call the doctor's office to get clarification on a script that was called in on our voicemail system. The doctor had left off the quantity of medicine. I called the doctor's voicemail and left the message for him to call me back with the correct information. He calls back later...

Me: "Hello, Bigbox Pharmacy, this is Rxboy. How may I help you?"

MD: "Hi Rxboy, this is Dr. Turbo returning you call. I don't understand why you called."

Me: "It's about the script for Mary Smith that you called in this morning. You didn't specify how many amoxicillin capsules to give her."

MD: "There must be some mistake. I didn't authorize a prescription for her. Are you sure it was my office?"

Me: "Yes, the lady who called it in said she was a receptionist who works there by the name of Natalie."

MD: "There is no Natalie that works here. And this was not authorized by me. The last time she was here I gave her an antibiotic, but that was over a year ago."

I opened the woman's profile and saw dozens of prescriptions from Dr. Turbo that had been called into our pharmacy over the last year. It turns out that this woman was calling in her own prescriptions pretending to be the doctor's office the whole time and she finally got caught.

What A Jerk!

So late Friday night someone comes in with a prescription for Lovenox syringes and they want brand name. This is extravagantly expensive product that is rarely dispensed so we generally don't keep large quantities of it in stock. I explained this to the patient because we obviously didn't have amount of brand Lovenox in stock that they needed. The patient agreed to take a few to get through the weekend and they would come back Monday afternoon to get the rest. No problem. On Sunday afternoon I order four more boxes of Lovenox to come in Monday. It costs us over $2400.

It came in today and I went to get the prescription ready to fill. When I billed it to the insurance it rejected saying it was too soon to refill, just filled two days ago. I'm confused so I called the patient. He proceeds to tell me that he decided not to wait and had his doctor call in the prescription to another pharmacy over the weekend. I had to hand the phone to a coworker to avoid saying things to this man that would have cost me my job. Now we have over $2400 tied up in inventory on a product that we will likely never be able to sell because it is so rare to get prescriptions for it now.

It's Not My Fault You're An Idiot

We received an email complaint today from an irate customer who was in yesterday night. He had dropped off a prescription for an antibiotic and had been told that it would be about twenty minutes. The tech gave him a pager and told him that it would buzz when the prescription was ready. He said that he waited 2 1/2 hours in the store for the prescription and finally came back up the counter to see what was holding it up. It had been ready for over two hours. The pager never went off.

And you are mad at us? You seriously didn't think to come up and check on it after twenty minutes or so? You walked around the store for a full two and a half hours without once checking the status and we are the ones that are in the wrong here?

A second complaint was from a woman who said that she is tired of us never having the medicine in stock that she takes. She said every time she comes in we tell her that we can only give her part of her order and we have to get the rest for tomorrow. She is tired of being inconvenienced by having to make a second trip the next day to get the rest of her medicine and it is a wast of time and gas.

I just pulled up your profile, ma'am. You've filled three items here in the past two years. I can certainly understand how you are so tired of us wasting your valuable time.

We Are Professionals, We Know What We Are Talking About

SC: I've never paid $499 for this medicine! Something's wrong!"

Me: I see it's only been ten dollars in the past. You've obviously hit the donut hole.

SC: I'm not in the donut hole!

Me: I processed it through your part d plan and this is the price they came back with. You have hit the donut hole.

SC: You call my insurance and find out what's going on!

Me: Sure thing, Sir.

[half an hour on hold and then a conversation with someone who has such a thick accent I can barely understand them]

SC: Well, what did you find out?

Me: You are in the donut hole.

Save the cutsie stuff for grandma...

The pharmacist asked me to call a patient to let them know that their prescription was ready. I had a line of customers that was as long as a line of teenyboppers waiting to buy tickets to a Justin Beiber concert. But they wanted me to make the call real quick because the customer had asked us to.

I get the machine, no problem right? Leave a quick message...ha! I wouldn't have it on here if that was the case...

"Hello, you have reached the Jones family. We can't come to the phone right now but if you would leave us a message we will get back to you right away. But first we would like you to enjoy a little treat. May we present to you our daughters Jill, Annie, and Sylvie!"

For the next 4 minutes I was treated to their daughters rendition of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" in three part harmony. Finally after four minutes I was able to leave my ten second message for them to let them know their script was ready.

Thank God I'm home now or else I think I'd be in a straight jacket at the psycho ward.
    Last edited by RxBoy; 08-17-2010, 01:06 AM.

doughnut hole?
    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Thats what I was wondering too.

Also, not sure if it always works....but on a lot of systems, hit the pound sign, and it'll skip the message.
      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth RxBoy View Post

Save the cutsie stuff for grandma...

The pharmacist asked me to call a patient to let them know that their prescription was ready. I had a line of customers that was as long as a line of teenyboppers waiting to buy tickets to a Justin Beiber concert. But they wanted me to make the call real quick because the customer had asked us to.

I get the machine, no problem right? Leave a quick message...ha! I wouldn't have it on here if that was the case...

"Hello, you have reached the Jones family. We can't come to the phone right now but if you would leave us a message we will get back to you right away. But first we would like you to enjoy a little treat. May we present to you our daughters Jill, Annie, and Sylvie!"

For the next 4 minutes I was treated to their daughters rendition of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" in three part harmony. Finally after four minutes I was able to leave my ten second message for them to let them know their script was ready.
        Bet those people wonder why they never have any messages...
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
          doughnut hole?
          That's the term for the coverage gap that occurs in Medicare Part D prescription plans in the US. Basically, Medicare Part D currently works like this...

The patient pays the entire out-of-pocket cost of the first $295 of medicine. Once this deductible is met, the patient will start paying 25% of the cost of their drugs until the total cost of their medications reaches $2700 for the year.

This is where the donut hole starts. The moment the total cost of their medications hits $2700 they have to begin paying the full cost of everything. That is what we call the donut hole. They continue paying the full cost of everything for the remainder of the year unless the total amount goes over $6154, at which point castastrophic coverage kicks in and for the remainder of the year they must pay 5% of the cost of their medication.

That is how it has been up until now. Starting next year our government is going to gradually start closing the donut hole under Obama's healthcare reform plan.

Comment

Holy F**K! I didnt know Lovenox was sooo damn expensive! No wonder our case manager jumps through circus hoops lit on fire whenever a patient is prescribed these for discharge.

Oh, and tell me why im encouraging my sister in law to go to pharm. tech school? Lol. Your day sounds like fun.... Lol.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
              Oh, and tell me why im encouraging my sister in law to go to pharm. tech school?
              Clearly it's because of the lovely people.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

High Security

Quoth RxBoy View Post

Aha! Caught ya!

I had to call the doctor's office to get clarification on a script that was called in on our voicemail system. The doctor had left off the quantity of medicine. I called the doctor's voicemail and left the message for him to call me back with the correct information. He calls back later...

Me: "Hello, Bigbox Pharmacy, this is Rxboy. How may I help you?"

MD: "Hi Rxboy, this is Dr. Turbo returning you call. I don't understand why you called."

Me: "It's about the script for Mary Smith that you called in this morning. You didn't specify how many amoxicillin capsules to give her."

MD: "There must be some mistake. I didn't authorize a prescription for her. Are you sure it was my office?"

Me: "Yes, the lady who called it in said she was a receptionist who works there by the name of Natalie."

MD: "There is no Natalie that works here. And this was not authorized by me. The last time she was here I gave her an antibiotic, but that was over a year ago."

I opened the woman's profile and saw dozens of prescriptions from Dr. Turbo that had been called into our pharmacy over the last year. It turns out that this woman was calling in her own prescriptions pretending to be the doctor's office the whole time and she finally got caught.
                She got away with this, for a WHOLE YEAR? So, what's the number to your pharmacy?

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                  Oh, and tell me why im encouraging my sister in law to go to pharm. tech school? Lol. Your day sounds like fun.... Lol.
                  1. You will acquire an extensive knowlege of math, biology, physiology, pharmacology, and become an expert at billing insurance. In return you will go to work in a job where the customers expect you to run like a fast-food restaurant and they will swear at you, berate you, and basically treat you like garbage.

2. You will work you ass off to solve problems for them and get them what they need. In return they will bitch about how long it took and threaten to go to another pharmacy.

3. They will get irate with you for refusing to break laws and commit fraud for them.

4. You will spend hours on hold with insurance companies only to finally talk to someone with such a thick accent you can't understand a word they say. Chances are the first person will not be able to help you and will transfer you to someone else. Of course you will be on hold again.

5. Doctors will wait several days to respond to refill requests. Insurance companies will deny claims. Patients will come in Friday night at 8pm and say they are totally out of their medicine that you are unable to order again until Monday. Some people will even stop to order their refills on the way to catch a plane. All of this stuff will be entirely your fault as well.

Comment

Quoth Stryker One View Post
                    She got away with this, for a WHOLE YEAR? So, what's the number to your pharmacy?
                    I know it seems crazy, but there really was no reason for the pharmacists to be suspicious. Typically when someone tries to call in their own prescriptions it is for things like Oxycodone or Valium. It's junkies trying to get extra controlled meds. We've caught several of those over the years. This lady was calling in things like antibiotics, allegery meds, and hydrocortisone creams. Those aren't things that someone would typically attempt to call in fake prescriptions for.

The only reason we caught her was because she slipped up and didn't give a quantity on the last antibiotic she called in. The problem is that the doctor can have anyone at the office call in the script whether it be a nurse, receptionist, secretary, etc. With all the doctors in our city we don't know if there's a Natalie working at Dr. Turbo's office or a Shirley at Dr. Jone's office. The only time a pharmacist would question something is if a script seems suspicious.

It's going to be up to the doctor to decide if he wants to do anything about it or not, but I'd have her arrested for impersonating me and prescribing under my license if I was the doctor. I also think my pharmacy should notify her insurance company that she did this because they've paid for dozens of fraudulent prescriptions. I hope they sue her as well.

Comment

Don't forget morphine patches. They are the bane of my bf's dad's existence.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth RxBoy View Post
                        I'd have her arrested for impersonating me and prescribing under my license if I was the doctor. I also think my pharmacy should notify her insurance company that she did this because they've paid for dozens of fraudulent prescriptions. I hope they sue her as well.
                        Given the things she was asking for she may have been trying to help herself save money on not having to pay co-pays for doctors visits or helping a friend with no insurance. I know what she did was wrong but for me your motivations for crimes should be taken into account. She should be punished, but I wonder what she wanted that stuff for.

Comment

Quoth RxBoy View Post
                          1. You will acquire an extensive knowlege of math, biology, physiology, pharmacology, and become an expert at billing insurance. In return you will go to work in a job where the customers expect you to run like a fast-food restaurant and they will swear at you, berate you, and basically treat you like garbage.

2. You will work you ass off to solve problems for them and get them what they need. In return they will bitch about how long it took and threaten to go to another pharmacy.

3. They will get irate with you for refusing to break laws and commit fraud for them.

4. You will spend hours on hold with insurance companies only to finally talk to someone with such a thick accent you can't understand a word they say. Chances are the first person will not be able to help you and will transfer you to someone else. Of course you will be on hold again.

5. Doctors will wait several days to respond to refill requests. Insurance companies will deny claims. Patients will come in Friday night at 8pm and say they are totally out of their medicine that you are unable to order again until Monday. Some people will even stop to order their refills on the way to catch a plane. All of this stuff will be entirely your fault as well.

My sister in law has been in retail her WHOLEEEE life. Shes used to SCs and has been in a managerial position several times. She works well under pressure. She wants to go to school for something that wont take forever, but still kinda uses her sales experience.

Would you honestly not recommend it? Shes still in the researching part of her search.

Comment

The thing is, she should have the police called on her for fraud, anyway. That is, the lady who scammed a bunch of medications.
                            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Stryker One View Post
                              So I am assuming the scam woman has the Dr.'s DEA registery number also????? I thought that with phone in orders there would be more security measures in place. even if you are dealing with the non-druggie-use type stuff.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X