Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luckily, refusing to protect your workers from racial assault generates a hostile work environment. One of the few things the labor board won't allow.

There are a few things I'd like to add to the Native American comment. But I won't.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Bashing us is in style now. People like that are trying to bait you into arguments, fights, etc. I find the best way to deal with them is to try your best to stay calm and treat them like 3 year olds. Sometimes if you're really nice to them and show them que no te estan jodiendo la vida it makes them even more angry. At that point you can feel free to start messing with them.

I still feel that rage when I get called some racist name but at the same time I realize how much fun I'll have messing with that person. I know it's sort of immature to get joy out of seeing exactly how angry I can make someone before they either swing at me or stomp away in a huff, but why should I be the better person. I figure if they're going to hate me anyway I might as well give them a reason while making them feel dumb in the process.

So don't get mad (not on the outside anyway) just smile really big and savor how powerless they'll feel when they realize their insults have no effect on our armor. Should we have to put up with it? Hell no. But ultimately we can't control what other people think or do, just how we'll react. Personally I would've gone El Santo on his racist culo. As passive-aggressively as possible.

Comment

My best friend was born in Korea, but she was adopted by her family when she was still in diapers. She is the whitest person I know (as far as how she acts)... but she always has to deal with raciest bull. She is good about taking it in stride though.

"Hey, you from China?"
        "Nope. I'm from S, WA"
        "I mean were you born in China."
        "Nope."
        "but..."
        "Next customer please."

....... I call her my Twinkie... and she usually hits me for it.
        "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
        -Red

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
          That means you're an Englishman now."

Um . . . he's a what?

He just gave her a blank stare before he turned around again.
          Would have been funny if he put on a British accent..."You're so right, mum.."

Quoth Red_Dazes View Post
          My best friend was born in Korea, but she was adopted by her family when she was still in diapers. She is the whitest person I know (as far as how she acts)... but she always has to deal with raciest bull. She is good about taking it in stride though.
          One of my friends, who is whiter than white from Connecticut (lives in New York now), has 3 kids - the middle one is adopted from China (the other 2 are her bio kids with her husband). She was about 20 months when they brought her home; she turns 4 this month. Next year they will be adopting a boy (also from China); he's about 5 1/2 (she said he's right in the middle between the 4yo and their older daughter, who's going on 7). I can't help but wonder what kind of comments/attitudes they'll get.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Sarcastro View Post
            que no te estan jodiendo la vida.
            Sorry, but what does that mean? Babelfish didn't translate half the words (missing accents?) and my Spanish knowledge is pretty laughable for someone born and raised in the Southwest US.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

the loose translation is "that they're not making your life miserable." Although never use the word "jodiendo" in polite company. It's a naughty word.

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
                Oh geez, I see this SO much! Once I had a group of Mexican gentleman in my line and as I was waiting on them, they were chatting to each other in Spanish. An older woman in line behind them decided to 'take up conversation' with one of them and said "You need to speak English, you're in America. That means you're an Englishman now."

Um . . . he's a what?

He just gave her a blank stare before he turned around again.
                He just turned all Hugh Grant now?!

Anywho...it's all better now. She did have some moments in the last couple days where she was too nervous to cashier but I had her help me out with cleaning and it's all good now. I don't know why people raise such a stink. Being bilingual gives you a HUGE advantage in the workplace. Guess you can't make the haters stop hatin'.
                Last edited by BethB; 08-23-2010, 01:11 AM.
                "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Ahem, I could probably tell everyone to get the hell off of my lawn in Choctaw, Cherokee, or Blackfeet.....but Watan Tanka, well, he's a nice guy who just wants all of his children to be happy.

Who wants some o'this pipe?
                  ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Working...
                  X