X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth jedikuonji View Post
    Do you know who I am?!?
    In my experience, if you have to say that, then the answer truthfully is "No one of any relevant importance to the situation at hand."

Comment

I've heard plenty of horror stories about people getting sauced at weddings. I went to my cousin's wedding a few years ago, I was about 16 at the time (I'm 21 now.) They started handing out champagne, and when I got one, Mom said 'Okay, we're at a wedding, you can have it.'

Then the guy came back around and said 'You're a redhead, so I know you're a double-fisted drinker.' Mom took that second glass away.

As for my wedding, whenever it happens, BF and I are gonna do a small, cheap wedding. Basic church ceremony, reception at my aunt's house, maybe go out to dinner, that way we can save our cash for a nice honeymoon/rent for an apartment.

After all, it's not the wedding that counts, it's the marriage.
      http://www.customerssuck.com/?p=7499
      Now appearing in comic form!

Comment

Quoth GroceryWench View Post
        After all, it's not the wedding that counts, it's the marriage.
        Hey, hey, hey. Being sensible and mature and reasonable will alienate a lot of people, you know. Better keep that under wraps.

Comment

My wedding was almost "dry". Nothing but soft drinks at the bar, there might have been one bottle of wine at each table (didn't really notice, my wife and I were at the dais), but that was it; I don't even recall if there was any shnappse at the choson's tish, not that I'd particularly remember details.... There were quite a few people at my wedding (350-400 or so, both my parents have lotsandlots of cousins and my wife's extended family, while smaller than mine, is still pretty big, so we needed a rather large synagogue) and I was happier knowing that there wouldn't be anyone getting ignorant. Not that I would have expected any at a 1PM wedding, but still.

Heck, I'd have preferred to have had grape juice for the actual ceremony, but I forgot to remind people. (Which in Jewish custom involves two glasses of wine, each of which have different blessings pronounced over them, then are mixed together and given one each to the bride and groom. You don't have to finish the glass.) I personally don't handle alcohol at all well; never been drunk in my life, because I can't drink enough to be drunk without getting a stomach ache first, followed by falling asleep. Not to mention that I had to drive afterwards.

Comment

My cousin found a great way to keep people from drinking too much at his wedding. He sprung for the cheapest two-dollar plonk money could buy. My brother-in-law took one sip, commented, "MY that's dry," and didn't take a second.

I know that wouldn't even slow some people down and there are people in my own family who like to start the day off with a frosty glass of lighter fluid, but when your wine costs thirty-nine cents a bottle, well, after the toasts there were still a lot of full glasses.

Love, Who?

Comment

I grieve for the cupcakes wasted.

Comment

Probably the worst I ever got drunk was at my dad's wedding. I know, that sounds bad, but it was an informal wedding held in his back yard, and I think by the end of the night everyone was smashed. I arrived the night before, spent the night, got up, started drinking around 11 in the morning, and kept drinking straight thru to about 1 that night. During the cermony, I was a little more than buzzed, but not to the point of being smashed either.

At the end of the night, apparently I was so drunk I didn't even know I was drunk. Someone else told me I "drank myself sober." I had heard that expression before, but never new it was real. I just thought I was tired, and I wanted to drive home and be in my own bed. Thankfully, my ex was able to talk me out of it. The way I felt when I woke up the next day was a sure sign that driving like that would have been a huge mistake.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth SailorMan View Post
                  First off, I have to say that I'm by no means a tea-totaler. That being said, I hardly ever feel like drinking.

It was only after I'd posted a similar statement here before that I started to examine why this is so. And, you might say it's from a sort of 'aversion therapy.' Let me explain.

I habitually live aboard large ships, which, as you'd imagine are commonly full of sailors. And, for some reason, sailors don't tend to have one or two drinks, and then carry on with, let's say, an intelligent discussion about the pros and cons of a local sports team. No, when a sailor drinks, it usually means he (or she) drinks until they're falling-down blotto, and then they get stupid. It seems the whole purpose of the evening for them is to ascertain the efficacy of negative behavioral modification induced by an alcoholic stupor, and then to 'test to destruction.'

I guess I've come to associate drinking with being exposed to large numbers of loud, obnoxious people, which I can do without.
                  This begs the question, "What do you do with a drunken sailor?".

And yes, I already know what I do with one!
                  "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                    This begs the question, "What do you do with a drunken sailor?".

And yes, I already know what I do with one!
                    Have him for breakfast?
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                    X