This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logical Answers?

I've been reading a lot of posts about changing large bills and returns, and of course the SCs that make those transactions difficult. For once, and I think it's possible to stop the SC in their tracks, I'd like to do something like this:

SC: Hi. I'd like to return this item please.
    Me: (checking the receipt) I'm sorry, but I can't accept this as it has exceeded the days for the return policy
    SC: (%$&*@$##!&< and general cursing) You HAVE to take it back!!
    Me: (sigh) ..Ok, I'll take it back... (takes item, places it behind the counter). Next in line please...
    SC: ..Wait..
    Me: For what?
    SC: I didn't get my money back!!!
    Me: Of course you didn't. You wanted to return it, I've already explained that it was beyond the number of days listed on the return policy, you insisted, so I took it off of your hands. You're not getting a refund because I can't sell it in the condition that it's in, so we're doing you a favor by taking it off of your hands and accepting it as a donation. NEXT!!!

Technically they are returning it. If they put up a fight, just go to the manager and say "he said he was returning it, and never asked for a refund". Even if they do ask, you can tell them to return something with a receipt that is not beyond the days in the store's return policy. Something similar might be done this way with large bills.

If you state to them that you can't accept large bills, why not negotiate? Say "well sir, we just opened up, and i don't have enough to give you the correct change back. You can either leave now without your products, go to the bank to change the large bill, then return to make your purchase; or simply buy it with your large bill, leave the store, and come back when we have enough change. Those are your only two choices... either way you'll get your product eventually."

What other comebacks have you had like that where it sunk through the SC's first set of layers and then they got it?

The first would be considered theft, which we don't condone here.

The second one would be fine, I suppose, if they were dumb enough to agree to it.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I've actually done the latter. There were some guests who wanted to rent bikes for the day and they only had $50s, I think it ended up being $63 and I could only give her like $20 in change or something so I asked if she wanted to run by the ATM (in a different part of the resort) or if she just wanted me to write her an IOU (because I knew by 9:30 when the bikes were due back I would have more than enough to give her the rest of it) and she decided to take the IOU (even though I told her it would only be valid for that day and that it was up to her to remember and I had her sign a note saying so, after all I have to cover my own butt as my till must be exactly $100 after I make my drop and my drop must match the books) but she did promise try and keep smaller bills in the future.

They came back with the bikes around 8:00 and all was well, she even wrote me a nice comment card (which means more to us than most departments because a lot of people just leave activities blank on the cards which by default gives us a rating of 0/5 and almost nobody bothers to say nice things about us since we generally don't "save" vacations by fixing problems like some of the other departments can, we just give you fun stuff to do and keep all of the athletic equipment in good condition).

Comment

I do the second one all the time when I deliver pizzas. We are only allowed to carry $20.00 change. When people try to give me a $100 bill for a $15.00 order, I just tell them they can give me a $65.00 tip or figure out a different way to pay. I had one customer order 5 minutes before we closed and when I got there handed me a $50 for a $20 order. I told him I only had $20 dollars change or I could take the pizzas back. He tried the "this is ridiculous" b.s. (yeah, its ridiculous that a delivery driver doesn't carry massive amounts of cash at 3am). He finally agreed, but then called my manager the next day to tell him how I had ripped him off.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
          If you state to them that you can't accept large bills, why not negotiate? Say "well sir, we just opened up, and i don't have enough to give you the correct change back. You can either leave now without your products, go to the bank to change the large bill, then return to make your purchase; or simply buy it with your large bill, leave the store, and come back when we have enough change. Those are your only two choices... either way you'll get your product eventually."
          I'm not sure about other places, and I don't even know if it's only company policy or a state law, but we can't do that where I work.

If we don't have enough change, there's always someone with a safe code.

If we ask a customer to leave, and they aren't unruly (anything that could get a normal person kicked out), we get fired or written up.

If we take someone's money and don't give them their change, they can sue the crap out of us, regardless of how many witnesses we have, because that's theft. (I think this one is a TN law, because it's happened in Memphis twice.)

Comment

As another pizza driver I also hate it when the customer only has a large bill. I have heard some threaten to call/email corporate over this also. Funny considering it's the entire chain's policy that we only carry 20 bucks. I wonder why these people don't just get a checking account and pay by check card, instead of keeping large bills on them.

Comment

I remember working delivery one summer....and the ONLY way we'd accept $100 on a delivery run for any amount is if they told us in advance so we could be sure to bring enough change...

Course I would stick that $100 in my pocket or my glove box if I wasn't going right back to the store, leaving the rest of my "till" in my belt pouch. and yes its an honest to god belt pouch...custom made of real leather and sinew for the stitching....best $20 I ever spent!!!
              It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                go to the bank to change the large bill,
                They've already been to the bank, that's where they got the large bills. They sure as hell didn't get those 100's out of an atm. Even though most places don't carry enough of a float to change one, and won't take large bills due to counterfeiting anyway, SC asshole thinks he looks like a bigshot by flashing around $100 bills. The truth is most of the time it just makes him look like a douche bag & a moron, and frankly, a roll of 20s five times as thick is just as impressive if not moreso than 100s.
                Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                  What other comebacks have you had like that where it sunk through the SC's first set of layers and then they got it?
                  Well, none considering I like having a job. "I can't make change for that" generally works.

I'm gonna say 1 in 10 SC's with large bills don't have smaller bills. I had a guy come through at just after 4. In my store, 4am is when the bank is counted for deposit, i count my first drawer, drop all my extra money into the safe and start with a fresh 75$ drawer. He orders a whopping 4 or 15$ in food (i.e. not enough to reasonably cash out a 100$ bill) and tries to hand me a hundred. I don't even touch it, just tell him "i don't have change for that." He lost his shit, whined a bit, and pulled out a smaller bill.

And what bank gives out hundreds anymore. My bank cashes everything out in 20's unless I ask for larger (usually if I'm paying rent/electric with that check I'll ask for hundreds).
                  Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                    And what bank gives out hundreds anymore. My bank cashes everything out in 20's unless I ask for larger (usually if I'm paying rent/electric with that check I'll ask for hundreds).
                    My tellers all give twenties unless otherwise asked. Most people I help don't even like carrying large anymore unless they're withdrawing a few grand, which 9 times out of 10, is usually to just go deposit elsewhere.
                    There had to be DUMB in the water today. - Summerfly413

Comment

I've been given $100s when closing out an account due to moving. But mostly I see these late at night at my job, or during weekends. I always dread seeing them, because it takes a while to get proper change for a large bill like that.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
                        I remember working delivery one summer....and the ONLY way we'd accept $100 on a delivery run for any amount is if they told us in advance so we could be sure to bring enough change...

Course I would stick that $100 in my pocket or my glove box if I wasn't going right back to the store, leaving the rest of my "till" in my belt pouch. and yes its an honest to god belt pouch...custom made of real leather and sinew for the stitching....best $20 I ever spent!!!
                        you should NEVER do that even with advance notice. the reason is NOW the "customer' knows with absolute SURENESS that you are carrying a large amount of money that you would nomally NOT be carrying. you are setting yourself up for a robbery.

find some of my threads about large bill rants esp late at night. if they want to use a $50 or a $100 bill the total MUST be within $15 of that bill. and even then I am VERY wary and paranoid during the whole delivery cycle.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
                          They've already been to the bank, that's where they got the large bills. They sure as hell didn't get those 100's out of an atm.
                          Actually, the bank where I just got an account, apparently stocks the ATMs with more than just $20's. My husband never takes out $100, always $80 (more often), because there's a risk of getting big bills if you get over $80. (I'm tempted to pay the fees and use a non-red ATM).

Comment

Quoth AtDIelement View Post
                            My tellers all give twenties unless otherwise asked. Most people I help don't even like carrying large anymore unless they're withdrawing a few grand, which 9 times out of 10, is usually to just go deposit elsewhere.
                            If I'm taking out a large amount to deposit elsewhere, I just get a check.

When I was in college the ATM actually gave out small bills and coins. You could go and take out $19.99 so you could go out around campus and not have to break a 20. (They later changed it so it only gave out 10s and 20s, though.)
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Another logical answer is a common scenario to this:

SC: "Oh please, just do this for me. Bend/break the rules, because I'm a good customer"

Logical response: "really? So when I get fired for helping you out and not doing as I'm told by the rules of my employer, are you going to help me find a job? Can you guarantee I won't be dealing with situations like this? Yeah.. I thought so..."

It seems natural that customers only think of themselves, especially when other business have bent over backwards to help them with nothing given by the customer in return.

Comment

Working...
                              X