This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer on his cell phone told me "please hold"

Male customer pulls up to the Visitor parking booth window while on his cell phone. I open the window, & he tells me "please hold."

Ok..I will hold, but only until a car pulls up behind you. At that point you have to enter the garage.

2 cars pull up behind him, & he is still on his cell phone. He does not make an effort to get off his cell phone. I raise the gate as a hint for him to enter the garage. He does that.

Jeez.. I am supposed to wait for you to finish you *important* cell phone conversation?

*hand motions to driver behind asshat to begin honking horn*

Comment

I still want the magic kill switch. With the flick of a button, all cell service in the immediate vicinity is cancelled.

And what is with people and their stupid cell phones?!? Can you imagine the bitching if he pulled up and the OP was on the phone instead?
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I used to get people calling the store, asking for my help, and then they put me on hold. I'd give them a couple minutes and then we'd get "disconnected."

Never had anyone put me on hold in person, though.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
          I used to get people calling the store, asking for my help, and then they put me on hold. I'd give them a couple minutes and then we'd get "disconnected."

I get that all the time. I do tech support. Person calls me, I pick up, "oh hold on a second the other line is ringing."

"Hello? Hello? Hello? *click*"

You get 10 seconds. I have work to do. If you actually want to talk, talk.

Comment

Ooh, that pisses me off, the people who call YOU and ask to put you on hold. I'm sorry, no. I have flat-out hung up on customers who call the wholesale club and put us on hold. My managers have backed me up when I've done it, too.

But, yeah, never been told IN PERSON to "please hold." I'd probably ignore them and help someone else.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              I still want the magic kill switch. With the flick of a button, all cell service in the immediate vicinity is cancelled.
              Wish granted.

http://www.thesignaljammer.com/
              I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

I had that happen several times. I give them 15 seconds or so, just long enough to tell the other person to call back. If their not back by then, the call somehow disconnects.

Comment

Heh, I've taken customers while on the phone to tech support. Getting the registers back up=more important than your 99cent burrito.

All hail the tech support gods, They who can hit the magic server reset button, MayItNeverFail.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    Ooh, that pisses me off, the people who call YOU and ask to put you on hold. I'm sorry, no. I have flat-out hung up on customers who call the wholesale club and put us on hold. My managers have backed me up when I've done it, too.
                    Ach. It is against the rules here
                    Any time I hang up on a customer (let's say because they didn't hang up properly and I can hear them going on with their business or because the line goes dead) my supervisor gets a warning about that and zooms at my seat to know why...
                    Thankfully he is not stupid.
                    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

I can understand this, and this frustrates me too.

On the other hand, sometimes I will be making a call at work, I have to push "3" for this and "7" for that to get through the phone tree, I have to wait on hold forever and EVER! (sometimes as long as five minutes ) and just when the person picks up someone walks up to my desk and asks me a question.

Whadda ya do?

Still, if you're asking the person you just called to hold, that hold time better be short. If not, I don't blame them for hanging up on me.
                      Women can do anything men can.
                      But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                      Maxine

Comment

Quoth Sparky View Post
                        I can understand this, and this frustrates me too.

On the other hand, sometimes I will be making a call at work, I have to push "3" for this and "7" for that to get through the phone tree, I have to wait on hold forever and EVER! (sometimes as long as five minutes ) and just when the person picks up someone walks up to my desk and asks me a question.

Whadda ya do?

Still, if you're asking the person you just called to hold, that hold time better be short. If not, I don't blame them for hanging up on me.
                        When this happens to me (almost always, the person coming to my desk is a pest), I indicate to them that I'm on the phone and mouth "hang on" or "just a minute" to them. I do not put my customers on hold if I can possibly avoid it. If a customer puts me on hold, I'll wait for a couple of minutes but that's it. It's up to them to tell their other caller that they're busy (and I've heard some do this).

Recently I had a woman on the phone who had a very pleasant, mild voice, and was very polite. As we were speaking, she suddenly said, 'oh wait, someone's at the door.' I heard her walk over, open the door, and then heard a man say something. And this lovely, sweet-sounding lady literally bellowed: "BE QUIET!!! I'M ON THE PHOONNNNE!!!"
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                          They have boxes that do that... some sort of signal jammer. Very illegal from what I've read. I want one for under my cash register.
                          Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            Recently I had a woman on the phone who had a very pleasant, mild voice, and was very polite. As we were speaking, she suddenly said, 'oh wait, someone's at the door.' I heard her walk over, open the door, and then heard a man say something. And this lovely, sweet-sounding lady literally bellowed: "BE QUIET!!! I'M ON THE PHOONNNNE!!!"
                            Hee! I'm a bit like that myself. I tend to speak quietly because of my deep voice. I also have a lung capacity that usually tops off the scale (officially 5 liters, unofficially, I blew the bucket out of the water in the testing unit ). If I decide I need to be loud, I'm the only one who gets heard. Until I need to take a breath, at least. It was sometimes handy to be able to get a whole field full of scouts to shut up quiet down and listen.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

This happens to me all day, but these morons do it right in front of me!! I will be getting their license, credit card, etc and I get motioned to hold on while they talk. I give them one shot. If they don't get the hint that I need a whole three minutes of their undivided attention, I motion for the next customer to come to the counter. My logic is that if they don't have the time for me, I don't have the time for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X