Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the Sign's Broke, it Doesn't Count!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the Sign's Broke, it Doesn't Count!!!

Our handicap parking signs are on 5-foot metal poles which are mounted on 3-foot yellow concrete posts. One of the signs was broken off at the base of the pole, leaving just the post. Of course this designated the 1st of 2-spots as handicap. In addition to the sign, the spots are OUTLINED in yellow, with walkways between them, and wheelchairs painted in the middle. VERY OBVIOUS they are handicap spots.

But NOOOOO!!!! I spent half my shift paging cars to move because non-handicapped people had parked there. Everyone's excuse was to smirk and say "Well, there's no sign, so I can park there!" Even though it's blatant that they're in a handicap parking spot, because I can't ticket them without the sign, they do it because they know they'll get away with it. Dipshits.

Oh, and when I was calling the store to have the cars paged, I spent 3 MINUTES trying to get the employee to COMPREHEND the plate I was spelling. It was a simple 6-letter plate; like 'LILCAT.' But every letter the Employee asked "Is that 'L' as in 'Dandylion?' Or something equally unbelievable. I was ready to yank my hair out!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Doesn't the store have a template they can use to put over the space and paint the handicapped sign? Yeah, it sucks that handicapped people won't be able to park until it is done drying, but at least it'll stop the capable jerks from parking where they shouldn't be.

There's nothing wrong, I believe, in simply making a sign somehow and posting that it's "Handicapped Parking Only. Violators will be towed promptly."

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
      "Handicapped Parking Only. Violators will be towed promptly."

"Handicapped Parking Only. Violators will have their kneecaps broken and be issued a valid handicapped parking permit."
      Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
        Our handicap parking signs are on 5-foot metal poles which are mounted on 3-foot yellow concrete posts. One of the signs was broken off at the base of the pole, leaving just the post. Of course this designated the 1st of 2-spots as handicap. In addition to the sign, the spots are OUTLINED in yellow, with walkways between them, and wheelchairs painted in the middle. VERY OBVIOUS they are handicap spots.

But NOOOOO!!!! I spent half my shift paging cars to move because non-handicapped people had parked there. Everyone's excuse was to smirk and say "Well, there's no sign, so I can park there!" Even though it's blatant that they're in a handicap parking spot, because I can't ticket them without the sign, they do it because they know they'll get away with it. Dipshits.
        How exactly is a brightly painted wheelchair etc on the bay *not* as valid as a sign???
        Don't just do something...sit there!

Comment

Quoth grokit View Post
          How exactly is a brightly painted wheelchair etc on the bay *not* as valid as a sign???
          Because the sign that broke had the words 'you will be fined/towed' with the amounts. Legally, without the sign up, we can't ticket them. The asswipes know this. So they know we'll chew them out, but other than that there's nothing legally that we can do.
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth grokit View Post
            It actually depends on how the local ordinances (or state, if that's more stringent) are written. Some require the sign in a certain location, facing the parking spot, some consider the painted wheelchair symbol to be sufficient. It's still pretty crappy for people to park there when it's obvious their only handicap is within the realm of social graces (and their lack thereof) but it might or might not be something the local PD can issue a citation for.

ETA: Meh, I'm long winded enough that I got beaten to the punch on that reply.

Comment

Got duct tape? >.>

Comment

I'd be tempted to post the sign.. pole and all through someones front end.
                It's a tough row to hoe, and I'm just the Joe to hoe it.

Comment

well, you could walk out, cell in hand and politely tell them they have two options:

move to another spot

you call the police and let them sort it out.
                  look! it's ghengis khan!
                  Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Can you place a temporary paper sign? It's at least something.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Stores have the right to refuse service to anyone. It's too bad they can't enforce paying the parking penalty with the items that they're buying inside the store. Of course, if they do that, they may think they've bought the rights to park there anytime they want.

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
                        "Handicapped Parking Only. Violators will have their kneecaps broken and be issued a valid handicapped parking permit."
                        Of course, I think this sign would be more appropriate I actually bought it several years ago while on vacation. Right now, hangs in my home office. I was going to post it outside, but I thought that some asshole would steal it.
                        Attached Files
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Would be a bloody shame if a rock just happened to go through their window, wouldn't it?

Comment

What's needed is a big blob of instant-set epoxy to put the sign back up after they parked, and then write them a ticket.

No rocks, but maybe a turkey dropped from a helicopter. Thanksgiving is getting near.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post

No rocks, but maybe a turkey dropped from a helicopter. Thanksgiving is getting near.
                              As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X