X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An open letter...

To the shoplifters of my city.

Dear Shoplifters,
    I kindly ask you to NOT shoplift in my store. As it makes me way over anxious to the point where I worry even when not working. You have made the last few weeks miserable considering I kinda like my job.
    Much Thanks,
    Dragon_Wings
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Sorry to ask this...but do you work in a particularly dangerous area? What has management done to maybe hinder the shoplifters?

Although I'm like 90% sure that answer is going to be something along the lines of...nothing...

Shoplifters make me a little uneasy. Then again, a lof of things from my hometown make me uneasy.
    Sucky Customers- Have the ability to convert non-drinkers into raging alcoholics in one phone call or less.

Comment

Quoth phantasy View Post
      Sorry to ask this...but do you work in a particularly dangerous area? What has management done to maybe hinder the shoplifters?

Although I'm like 90% sure that answer is going to be something along the lines of...nothing...

Shoplifters make me a little uneasy. Then again, a lof of things from my hometown make me uneasy.
      I don't exactly live in a dangerous area. But there seems to be a lot of people in poor living/financial situations. Well crappy economy can do that.

As to what management does to hinder shoplifting? Most of the high priced items are locked up and like 90% of our small electronics area is in a case or on locked pegs. And in the past few weeks I've witnessed my managers stopping/confronting at least 4 attempted shoplifters (that I know of).

I just hate confrontation. And my heart starts racing, my adrenaline starts pumping, and I get anxious and nervous. Ugh. It's so uncomfortable. To make matters worse I'm getting over-suspicious of just about everyone. And that makes me sad.

Comment

They're the ones breaking the law by shoplifting. You don't have anything to be nervous about when confronting them. Just make sure they're actually shoplifting, so you don't look like the bad person.

Comment

The best way to handle shoplifters is to just be vigiliant. I know it's annoying, but if you try to do the greet and ask thing that most stores ask you to do, it lets potential shoplifters know that they are being watched.

Are associates at your store held responsible for stopping shoplifters?

Comment

Heeheeheee...

I was conducting a training session for some managers at a boutique this morning, and I couldn't help but notice their own sign...

It was a row of men tied up, each standing at a noose. The caption: "We do not prosecute shoplifters. We execute them!"
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I just don't like confrontation. That's why it upsets me. And I do greet everyone. Especially if they are acting suspicious.

Comment

The fight or flight response sucks, especially when it happens all day long. Honestly, if you keep doing whatever starts it, you can condition yourself so it happens to a lesser extent. If all else fails, deep, calming breaths usually help me.

I totally agree that shoplifters suck.

Comment

Quoth Justin View Post
                  They're the ones breaking the law by shoplifting. You don't have anything to be nervous about when confronting them. Just make sure they're actually shoplifting, so you don't look like the bad person.
                  Not always. We've had a lot of people that we've caught shoplifting, and when the manager confronts them with it, they'll go apeshit, doing anything from calling corporate and calling us bigoted liars, to actually assulting the staff! One of our manager had a black eye and bite marks from a woman that stole a $3 spa set!
                  "Been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding."
                  -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta"

Comment

Quoth ShinyKitsune View Post
                    Not always. We've had a lot of people that we've caught shoplifting, and when the manager confronts them with it, they'll go apeshit, doing anything from calling corporate and calling us bigoted liars, to actually assulting the staff! One of our manager had a black eye and bite marks from a woman that stole a $3 spa set!
                    One of the chicks my managers confronted flipped her shit. Said she's not a thief. But one of my co workers saw her but a wallet (from a display) in her purse (and when confronted she pulled it out with the one that was hers and demanded that she had had them both when she came in). The one other shoplifter I really witnessed first hand tried to pretend he had been planning on actually handing me the item to ring up (it was in a reusable canvas bag). Ugh. Just ugh.

Comment

Working...
                    X