This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing one pain with another.

Just one minor note before I begin the backstory, I'm working T's door this weekend. She and R have the weekend off. Sky Wizard help us.

For the past couple of days, I've been suffering from a major toothache. Because the thought of dentists reduces me to the mental age of 5, I've been toughing it out through generous usage of mouthwash and saltwater rinses until the inevitable happens, or I just lose patience, make a floss lasso, and yank the stupid thing out. Why do I mention this, fellow SC-hunters? Most of my shift was spent bombed on Aleve, which meant no drinking whatsoever, minimal smoking, and the ultimate test of patience for me. Which, oddly enough, I passed with flying colors.

Alright, enough backstory. On with the tale.

Me: Ow ow ow ow oh, okay, the Aleve finally kicked in. Good.
    EW: Yep. Only one, but at least it was an easy win over her.

EW and her daughter walk up to my door as the second-to-last band are setting up. Thankfully, they were the first two to walk up and break the 30-minute pause in the customer flow.

EW: How much is it to go upstairs?
    Me: $5 each.
    EW: For two bands?!

Had you come earlier, like, say, three hours prior, the cover would've equated to about 83 cents a band. Not my fault you showed up late.

Me: Yep. The cover stays the same no matter how many bands are left, with the exception of the last band.
    EW: There's no way I can just pay $5 for the both of us?
    Me: Nope. $5 each no matter what.
    EW: That's not right. We should get a discount because we missed most of the show.

I dare anyone to try this at a theater. "But Machete's almost over! Can't you just give us a discount for however much time is left in the movie?"

Me: Sorry. I don't make the rules for this door, I just suffer-- er, enforce them.
    EW: That's still not right.

EW's daughter just walks back into the downstairs bar. Eventually, EW follows her. Thankfully, that's the end of that.

On a side note, the start of tomorrow night's show should go a lot easier than we expect, due to Slayer being in town. Cross your fingers.
    My other car is a Mackinaw.

I'm surprised she didn't ask to speak with a manager or something like that.
    "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

Quoth bardicwench View Post
      I'm surprised she didn't ask to speak with a manager or something like that.
      Yeah, really. She looked like the type of person who, in any other circumstances, would've raised holy hell for not getting her way. Bless her for not going that route...

Comment

Quoth ZedOmega View Post
        Yeah, really. She looked like the type of person who, in any other circumstances, would've raised holy hell for not getting her way. Bless her for not going that route...
        Saved you additional pain that even Aleve might not have helped with. *hugs*
        "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

Saved you additional pain that even Aleve might not have helped with. *hugs*
          Well, it could always be worse. You've seen my previous threads on this board. *hug*

Comment

Quoth ZedOmega View Post
            Well, it could always be worse. You've seen my previous threads on this board. *hug*
            Yes... yes, I have. I was actually surprised that you got out of this one so easily!

Comment

Yes... yes, I have. I was actually surprised that you got out of this one so easily!
              I'm even more surprised that I didn't have to call for backup on this one, to be honestly.

Comment

Please try to go to the dentist. This summer my coworker did the same thing, ignoring persistent toothache, and when she finally went the tooth was abscessed. Rotten gums, scraping on the jaw, grody. And PAINFUL. Ultimately she needed surgery and some kind of false tooth to fill the space (to prevent other teeth from moving over time and messing up her entire mouth) and the cost was somewhere around $1000. And, of course, weeks of not being able to eat because it hurt too badly.

Please, please, PLEASE go. There are some dentists that are very good with nervous/frightened/phobic patients; there might be some in your area if you ask around.

*gets back on track* Is it just me, or does $5 for two bands seem like a pretty reasonable price anyway? O_o Especially if they're decent?

Comment

Quoth Marszenka View Post
                  Please try to go to the dentist. This summer my coworker did the same thing, ignoring persistent toothache, and when she finally went the tooth was abscessed. Rotten gums, scraping on the jaw, grody. And PAINFUL. Ultimately she needed surgery and some kind of false tooth to fill the space (to prevent other teeth from moving over time and messing up her entire mouth) and the cost was somewhere around $1000. And, of course, weeks of not being able to eat because it hurt too badly.

Please, please, PLEASE go. There are some dentists that are very good with nervous/frightened/phobic patients; there might be some in your area if you ask around.

*gets back on track* Is it just me, or does $5 for two bands seem like a pretty reasonable price anyway? O_o Especially if they're decent?
                  Not to mention bad teeth contribute significantly to heart disease and chronic infections elsewhere in the body. It can also depress your immune system, make arthritis worse (if you already have arthritis), ear infections. Don't put it off too long, okay?
                  What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

And, just for added fun, an abscess can kill you. Never mess around with bad teeth or sinuses, because there's such a good possibility of an abscess draining the wrong way and things going really bad, really fast.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth ZedOmega View Post
                      On a side note, the start of tomorrow night's show should go a lot easier than we expect, due to Slayer being in town. Cross your fingers.
                      Does anyone else find this last line hysterical? As a joke, it would be funny to advertise a priest and his choir performing, then have the patrons arrive only to find SLAYER!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X