Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to back overreactions (kinda long)

First one happened because the two men on the line of course did not have their card with them and the one guy said that his wife has the card and he doesn't know what phone number it's under. So I offer to get the house card when the person next to them offers to scan his. I tell them that I'm not really allowed to do that (we have a sweepstakes going on right now where you can win entries for prizes based on how much you spend with your card, so it would be considered stealing). The guy who was currently being checked out gets mad at this and says it is stupid and twice tries to forget the whole order and leave. He said that *competitor store* has no problem with this and he should have just went there anyway. The person he was with also went on and on about not getting the discounted price for the pork chops they had, and when I put the house card in he again asked why the pork was coming up the more expensive price.

Then, right after as the thread title would imply, another bad moment. A man and his wife were on the line (I see the man in the store each week, but I'm not sure I've seen his wife before) and his wife was standing to the side looking at a magazine. When most people do this, they will either put it back or hand it to me when it's their turn to check out, or they will put it on the belt to pay for it. Otherwise, I will ask if they're going to buy it and then do either of those depending on if they are going to or not. Well, this woman and her husband decide to make a huge deal out of it and act like I said pay for the magazine or I'm calling the cops.
    Me: Are you going to get that magazine?
    Wife: No, I'm just reading it. I was going to put it back before I leave.
    Me: Oh, ok.
    Man: Why did you ask such a thing?
    Me: I just wanted to make sure. Some people do try to take them.
    Wife: Why would I want to steal it?
    Me: I didn't say you would. I was just asking. Sorry.
    After they finished, I saw the woman go put the magazine back and the man was at the customer service desk so he probably reported me FOR DOING MY JOB. We're directed to ask about anything in the customer's cart/hands/anywhere else that hasn't been put on the belt to scan. Nothing was said to me about it by the person working there or a manager, so I'm assuming that she brushed it off as the people being jerks and didn't say anything. Seriously though, I never get this kind of dumb reaction from someone unless they actually did intend on stealing the item.

Bonus sucks: -A woman tried to get on my line after I had closed for my break while I was walking to the front of the lane to block it. When I told her I was closed, she gives the catbutt face.
    -Woman asks me to test scan a bottle of juice because she didn't see a sign. I do the test scan, and then ring it up. She tells me that I already rang it,and I tell her that I just test scanned it so it was not part of the order yet. She asks "are you sure?" and I tell her I would check. Sure enough, there's just the one bottle of juice that I just scanned.

The first was just being a jerk about not getting his way, the second needs thunked with the magazine.. and the lady who asked if you were sure.. kind of was begging for the "Yep, positive." response LOL
    Sounds like you had a long shift. I'm sorry!

Comment

I man a grocery self checkout, and I get the ARE YOU ACCUSING ME OF STEALING?! reaction every time I have to check their bags due to extra weight showing up on the scale. Usually "No, just making sure you didn't accidentally miss one" works, but some are so wound up on defending their pride they still throw a fit.
      » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

Working...
      X