This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday trading laws wait for no man

This didn't happen just to me, but also to a girl over in the supermarket (I work in the petrol station, but I do meet up with supermarket people in the locker room). Let's call her Beth. She told me about her part in said locker room. XD Anyway, on to the story. Sunday trading laws state that the store is to open from 10am - 4pm, and that they are not allowed to trade before 10am, or after 4:30pm. In the petrol station, this is a little different; we open at 8 and close at 6, and cannot trade before 8am or after 6pm. This is, incidentally, the root cause of the SC's whinge.

The first part of the SC's tirade happens at around 4:05pm. Beth had come off her till five minutes earlier (she finished at 4:15) and was on the door performing the jolly task of stopping people from entering the supermarket. This is not a task that most people relish, as it carries a high risk of SCs. Anyway, this man dressed scruffily with his hair in dreads walks up to the door and tries to walk past Beth. She stops him, tells him that it's past 4pm and that the store is closed. He insists that since he only needs one thing (and just how many times have we all heard that one?) that she should let him in, and anyway, there are customers in the store.

Beth explains to the SC that the customers in the store arrived before closing time, so therefore, they are allowed to be there. (Getting shades of that PFB letter now... ) SC is having none of it, and once again attempts to enter the store. Shaun, a supervisor, runs up to assist Beth, and, shouting abuse, the SC leaves. He goes over to the petrol station where I and Jim are working and counting down the hours til we can leave.

SC then buys his milk, bread and cigarettes and all thru the time I am serving him, is launching into a tirade about how the nasty, mean people over in the supermarket refused to allow him in, despite the fact that it was only five minutes past 4pm, and anyway, his watch said it was one minute to so they should have let him in. (Customer Standard Time, anyone?) I was tired, and not really in the mood to point out the discrepancy, so just nodded agreement. When SC left, Jim and I erupted into laughter. XD
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Customer Standard Time!

Priceless... Cookies and Booze for you!
    There Can Be Only One

Comment

4:01 is just as good as 4:05, 4:30 or 10:00. All those times are past 4:00!
      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I like that..."Customer Standard Time"...Good one!...lol.

Comment

I like that! I want to use it on our voicemail greeting: Sorry, we go by Eastern Standard Time, not Customer Standard Time, and by our clock we are now CLOSED.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I wish I would have known about customer standard time when doing 3rds and stopping the sale of alcohol, of course I probably would have a rudeness complaint put in however I have reached the point where I don't care if I get fired as I hate my job and the Bs I deal with and I can easily obtain another pointless job.
            I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              I like that! I want to use it on our voicemail greeting: Sorry, we go by Eastern Standard Time, not Customer Standard Time, and by our clock we are now CLOSED.
              Lol. XD Customer Standard Time has no logic that can be applied to it whatsoever, so should be ignored.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                (Customer Standard Time, anyone?)

This needs to be put in the official CS terminology list!
                O God, thy sky is so vast and my plane is so small.

Comment

Don't forget Customer Daylight Time (CDT), wherein an hour gets added to the regular Customer Standard Time.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Customer Standard Time explained.

CST is never consistent, changing to suit the Customer however they wish. Here are some common terms in CST, however.

It will only take a second - I am going to waste so much of your time that you will be 90 before we are done.

I just have a simple question - I have a long complicated question that I can't figure out. It will only be one question IF you are lucky, since CST rarely equates with reality..it will probably be more like 20 questions.

I've waited forever! - No matter if it is 1 second or a couple of minutes, CST means that they have waited hours in their mind. Mind you that if you are waiting for THEM, this phenomena reverses and if they waste hours of your time it was 'only a second' (see above).

You can't be closed, my watch says <insert time here> - This phrase will be uttered regardless what time you are supposed to close, and what the actual time is. Even if you were closed an hour ago, CST demands that you shouldn't close until the customer is done..whatever time that is.

Why is <insert name of department> not open?! The inverse to the above. Regardless of what time it is supposed to be open, CST demands that whenever a customer needs something the laws of time have to bend to their will and the department should magically open to suit their time schedule.

I will be right back usually uttered when they have reached the register and realize they have to go to their vehicle to find something. It doesn't matter if there are lines that circle the store 5 times..they insist you do not suspend their transaction, but instead wait for the 'second' (see above) it will take for them to retrieve whatever. CST also demands that regardless of how long they are actually gone they will think it was 'only a second'.

It has taken me forever to find somebody to help me I have passed up at least 12 different employees, ignored the customer service desk, and said 'no I am just looking' at least 10 times...now I have needed help for about 2 seconds, but CST says it has been forever.

More may be added later.
                    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

That is brilliant. Please return and add more! XD
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Love it, Mytical.

Just one adjustment I'd make... it's SCST and SCDT... 'cause we already have a CST, which I suspect you already know.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Ugh. We've had a back and forth with management over putting call in orders into the POS rather than just writing them down. Management wants to write them down, by the logic that the cashiers are too stupid not to ring out the stored call in orders by accident. Everyone else wants to put them in the system, to avoid the SCs that come in and throw an absolute shit fit over their call ins not being ready, when sometimes they call from the frickin line itself and therefore have only been waiting 30 seconds.

Love the time stamp. Love it.

Comment

A logical extension to SCST, the Sucky Customer Calendar! (Henceforth known as the SCC)

Regardless of special offer start dates (or coupon/special offer expiration dates) on a normal calendar, the SCC will always display that date as being today. This allows the SC to avail of an offer before it starts, or use coupons/avail of an offer after it has expired.
                            Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Yes Syriilord which brings me to CST Explained, Part Deux..or "Expiration date??!"

Expiration Date - These are for everybody but CS's. Obviously it can not, nor will it ever apply to CST. Management has to accept them, or they are violating the CS's rights.

Flyers - As soon as a CS has one in their grubby hands, regardless of when it is for, CST demands that all mentioned sales are immediately good, and will remain so until the CS gets what they want.

Closing time The announcements that the store is closing, or closing time in general does not apply to the CS due to CST. Everybody knows that workers have no life anyhow, so CST demands that you not have to hurry and may take as much time as you need.

Closing time part 2 Closed and locked doors, lights being off, and signs saying closed must be wrong. CST states that shops never close, ever. They are just trying to fool the CS, don't let them.

((I need to do this for more then just times lol..times are limited ))
                              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X