This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopped a prank caller

Guest in a room comes up saying "Who told me to put my phone in water?!?!?!"

Guest had received a call from a man saying they were from the front desk, that they were doing a phone reset, and that they needed the guest to fill and ice bucket with water and dunk her receiver in it.

As she's telling me this, I turn off our "Auto-Attend" on the phone so all calls get routed to me (meaning they can't call room numbers directly). I apologize, explain the situation, and what I'm doing to fix it.

"Okay," says the guest. "I didn't put my phone in the water, by the way."

"Thank you. Please don't put your phone in the water." I replied.

Not too many people had checked in at that point. I figured since she came down and told me right away, and if the caller was typing in room numbers in order, then the next room would be...

*RING RING*

Me: *spiel*
    Prank Caller: "Yes, can I have room 108 please?"
    Me: Yep, 108. Bingo.
    Me: "Do you have the name of the guest?"
    Prank Caller: "....Mr. Johnson?"
    Me: Really? Mr. Johnson? That was the best you could come up with? That's not creative at all! How 'bout Harris? Or Carter? Or Xavier? No one ever uses Xavier!
    Me: "I'm sorry, I don't have a Mr. Johnson registered to that room, or any room here for that matter."
    Prank Caller: "Well, let me go check my records and I'll call you back."

Yes, yes, go "check your records". You only got to one guest tonight; you're not getting through to any more!.

A minute later, I received another call, but they hung up quickly. Aww...I ruined their fun for the night...somehow I don't feel bad about it....

Fortunately I got them when I did. 108 would have been the next occupied room going down the room number list. Caught them just in time!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Some people honestly have no life do they? I am glad you stopped them.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I've had a prank call of a very similar nature though I wasn't as wise. Prank caller called 3 rooms before I caught on. The caller claimed to be from the front desk and that there was something wrong with their vehicle in the parking lot. The purpose of this call wasn't to cause property damage, but to wake people up.

Ever since then I've always made sure to confirm the room number before they are connected.

And at my hotel, we don't have the automated system that you have. I was just thinking the other day about how easy it must be for prank callers to get guest rooms calling a system like that.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Ha! Better keep that auto-attend off in case they phone back :$

Comment

Working...
        X