This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binary...

Holy crap, tonight was awful. It was not unlike being digested ass first by an angry koala...

Amongst other things, I was closing with a front end manager I've never closed with, the store manager (whose name shall forever be a curse in my vocabulary now...) kept wandering up and down the front end, bagging for various cashiers, sending baggers outside at random to get carts, wondering/yelling at said front end guy where all the baggers are, and generally just staring at the back of my head, which makes me extremely uncomfortable (I HATE it when people just stare at me, even if they don't have some measure of control over my fate... it makes me nervous, and quickly makes me angry), a few times, he walked over to me, as if he was about to tell me another lie, but he never talked to me directly (huzzah).
    Anyway, on to the stories:
    Not even twenty minutes into my shift
    A guy calls me over.
    J: "Yes, sir?"
    C: "These avocados are 2 for $1.00..."
    J: *look at the screen, he put in ten avocados, and they did indeed ring up $5* "Yes, sir...?"
    C: "They're two for $1."
    J: "Yes, see here? $5.00 for ten avocados."
    C: "They're 2 for $1."
    J: *math* "See?"
    I walk away.
    He finishes checking out, and calls me over again.
    C: "I only bought two avocados."
    Well, whose fault is that? I distinctly remember NOT typing in ten avocados for you.
    J: "You'll have to go to guest services to get that fixed. I can do all of nothing for you."
    C: "I want it fixed now."
    J: "I can't do returns, or anything even remotely close. However, guest services CAN."

Someone else then got on my case immediately about how he had to show ID to buy... I dunno, cough syrup...? I forget...

Edit: Mind reader: Fail
    Had... a mother and daughter...? come through my line, the one that has been acting all wonky about cash for weeks now, was scheduled for maintenance, and then... nothing... A notice pops up that they want $100 back...
    J: "I'll try, but I'm not sure I have $10 in my drawer."
    M: "Would've been nice to know before I finished."
    J: "Seeing as our limit for cash back is typically $50... and the system should've cut you off from doing $100 back... why the hell would I have had any reason to warn you not to do $100?"
    M: "Oh, I thought it was based on the customer's card..."
    J: "Only kind of... in that, if you don't have that money in the bank, you'll incur an overdraft fee... but that's not something we'd deal with..."
    What the hell...?
    Ten o'clock rolls around, and we drop to having me, a cashier, and the closing manager... then 10:45, just me and the manager, then 11 and it's just me... dead for the past thirty minutes, then suddenly, two families come up and start to yell at me that there are no cashiers.
    I just kind of shake my head at them, and do my best to keep their transactions moving.
    One family wants to buy a TV stand, so I call for furniture, but no one comes up, so I call the night manager up, and get him to go grab one. Meanwhile, the other family is yapping away, constantly pulling bags off the scales, and wondering why it keeps yelling at them. And I hear a very distinct, "At least WalMart has a cashier open all night."
    I look around briefly. Huh, look at that, this isn't WalMart, first off, second, WalMart is open 24 hours, we are NOT! Tird, hell, I'm only one person, and there are NO cash drawers in the 'real' registers, so I can't take people over there even if it wasn't suddenly slammed busy...
    Night Manager brings up the TV stand, family buys it, he takes it out to their car, comes back in with an empty dolly, passes right by the family, they say "Thanks," he keeps walking. The lady checking out comments, "How polite..." I jump in as she's talking. "What's going on now?"
    H: "I thanked him for getting the stand and taking it out, and he didn't say anything."
    J: "He doesn't speak much English."
    H: "And he's the night manager?"
    J: "For tonight, yes. And, most of the night people speak Spanish... so..."
    H: "I guess that makes sense." and she adds some comment about how other people who work late need to learn how to run registers... I just shrug and say, "Yes, I've been trying to get them to keep more late night cashiers, but they don't want to, for whatever reason..."
    H: "Well, I guess I'll just call corporate and suggest it..."
    J: "Yeah, go ahead, all it'll do is get the store manager to bitch at me again about not opening registers at night. If it isn't how HE wants things run, he doesn't give a damn. Seeing as how he expects me to be able to run five registers at once, he thinks everything's perfectly fine. And, usually, it is... I don't often get massive rushes like this after 11... it happens, but it's pretty rare..."

Oh, I also found out that, in order to transfer stores, as I've been debating, since I pass two other stores on my way to this one, I would have to talk to store manager about it, and I just know he'd deny it immediately...
    J: "Hey, SM, you hate me, I hate you, I want to go to different store."
    S: "No."
    Last edited by Imogene; 10-09-2010, 09:11 AM. Reason: Remembered
    "I call murder on that!"

It was not unlike being digested ass first by an angry koala...
    that makes a most interesting mental picture-i now need brain bleach.

poor juwl; we need some clones of you so you can transfer and the ahole manager can still have 'you' at his store while managing 5 registers, dancing through flaming hoops and singing 'cumbaya' acapella to entertain shoppers.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
    X