This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control your child please! (long)

BG - I work at a place, you could call it a COMPANY, that serves NOODLES.. Yummy tasty noodles. I generally love my job and the customers we get.. our menu is fully customizable, designed to be that way, so almost every strange request you can throw at us can be accommodated. This generally leads to happy guests, which generally means far fewer SCs.
    The setup is you come in the door, where you come up to our long counter with two cash registers and a large drink cooler that holds our bottled drinks in it, then a big gap enough for two people to pass through easily, then some more counter with our phone-in register, and a 90-degree turn to a counter you can eat at, with bar stools. in front of the counter is our large dining room with booths and tables, and directly behind the counter is the garnish/salad prep area, with a path to the saute/grill area, and a hall to the back with the walk-in, storage, and dish areas. /BG

However, fewer does not equal ZERO. As is evidenced by this post..

Tuesday night I was working dinner shift, and this lovely woman and her son of maybe 7-8 years old came in and ordered some food, dine in. The boy was rambunctious to say the least, running around our dining room and playing with the booster seats and stacks of cup lids and take-out boxes, knocking things over. Nothing too unusual, except the mother didn't really seem to care. She just sat there eating her food, letting the boy run rampant, with only a few halfhearted utterances. "J, please come sit down and eat your macaroni." with a sigh. That sort of thing.
    After she has finished eating, and he has eaten a little over half of his macaroni, they get up and come to my register/the counter again, to buy some of our gigantic cookies. The boy grins and darts through the gap in the counter to one of our many wash-up sinks. I am floored.. no one has ever done this. I guess I looked like this
    "hey, you can't be back here okay?" i say to him. He giggles and darts back to his mother's side. She seems oblivious. I turn back to my register to ring in the cookies, and as soon as I turn away, he is back behind the counter, this time by our garnish cooler. I turn around and tell him again "you can't come back here, please leave." He runs back to his mom, and then runs back behind the counter again immediately, this time bumping into my coworker C, making her spill a bowl of (screaming hot) soup on the counter. He just looks up at her, and then runs back to his mom, who finally acknowledges his behavior with a simple "He was allowed back there once on a tour. He must think it's okay"
    Right, lady. He thinks it's okay, when he clearly has this mischievous grin before he runs back, and I've told him twice now that he can't be behind this counter. Ugh.

The other SC I have had in recent history started off a little frustrating, but ended up as an SC of grand proportions. Shows me to try and save a guest a buck.
    Phone rings.
    Me: N&C *city* this is Setsu speaking how may I assist you?
    SC: Hey I'd like to make a phone in order?
    Me: Okay may I have your first name please?
    SC: *name*
    Me: okay, and what can I get for you tonight?
    SC: I'd like to make my own?
    Me: Um.. okay. What exactly do you mean by that? Like, make it a trio, or what?
    SC: No I'd like to make my own bowl? Like whatever I want in it?
    Me: Oh okay. We can do that! Just.. um.. just let me know what you'd like, and I'll figure out how to make it work! Your receipt will probably look a little funny though.
    SC: Okay, that's fine. I'd like Penne pasta, with spicy cream sauce, mushrooms, broccoli, and carrots.
    Me: Okay, and would you like some cheese on that or anything?
    SC: Yeah, can you put feta on it?
    Me: Okay sure, your total will be XX.XX and when will you be in to pick that up?
    SC: 15 minutes or so?
    Me: Okay and would you like to-go plastic ware?
    SC: that won't be necessary, thanks.
    Me: Okay great! Don't forget you can skip our line, and come directly to the pick up register, okay?
    SC: Kay. Thanks. *click*

**IMPORTANT** Basically what this guest asked for was nearly identical to our Penne Rosa dish. So, I rang it in as Penne Rosa with Feta, subbing the onions for her requested broccoli, and the tomatoes for her requested carrots. This way, it costs her a full 3.50 less than it would had I rung in the ingredients separate as she asked for it. Also by ringing it in this way, it was way less confusing for our saute cook to figure out what the hell he was making, reducing the chance of him making it wrong.

So about 20 minutes later, the guest comes in, and my manager F rings her through. She glances down at her receipt, that is taped to her to-go bag, and starts to SCREAM
    "THIS IS NOT WHAT I ORDERED. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS PENNE ROSA BULLS*** IS BUT I DON'T WANT IT!! YOU TELL THAT GIRL SETSU SHE F***ED UP MY ORDER AND I DEMAND A DISCOUNT!!"
    My manager looks a little shocked, and manages to get her to stop screaming and cussing. He tells her he will need to talk to me in his office, and pulls me in to the back room. I then explain to him what she ordered exactly, and how I rang it in, and why. He then sighs, and goes up to try and convincing the woman that it was exactly what she had ordered. which takes the next 20 minutes.
    "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

I've been to that place a couple times in my former home area...it was good the first two times and then the third time the pasta was way oily. I mean make me sick to my stomach oily. Called the store to give my concern and was given a coupon for next time.

Went a forth time and it was wonderful, everything was good even a hour later when I could reheat for my dinner. Went a fifth time and I didn't even get it home when i noticed I could hold the container sideways and oil dripped out. Not the sauce mind you...olive oil. I haven't been back.

Anyhoo your Mom with the crazy kid? Yea talk about a lack luster idiotic parent. Sure the kid has been bad all day and now your giving him a BIG cookie. Way to go Mom. And for the other crazy lady...she needs a broom stuck up her rear, maybe then her brain will get blood and she will be able to read the receipt fully then.

Comment

For the first woman: 'Ma'am, you are aware that now that I have warned him, if your son is injured it is totally your fault and you will have to explain to CPS (or whatever child protective services is called in your area) why you allowed him to run into this area. And if he causes injury to an employee, you would be fully liable for the hospital bills and any compensation for missed work?'

She'd grab her kid to her really quick if she thought it would cost her money.

Comment

Quoth Setsunaela View Post
        to try and convincing the woman that it was exactly what she had ordered. which takes the next 20 minutes.
        And all I can think is, at which point her food will be cool and she'll demand a discount anyway. I've been too cynical lately.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Pasta. Pasta. Pasta. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
          Sorry, got distracted.
          I hate parents who won't control their kids. And with him already about as hyped up as it gets, she buys him MORE sugar? Good thinking (not).
          The second SC....Just stupid. You told her the receipt might be a little odd. And all she had to do was ask you to explain it. Idiot.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Damn...I live about 5 miles from a COMPANY that serves NOODLES and I haven't tried it yet.

Must remember...

Comment

Yes, must.

..........and I'd like to say your icon is ADORABLE, Lach!!....
              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Oh I love eating there.

For the kid, I wouldn't worry about him. Either he'll learn a valuable lesson or Uncle Chuck (Darwin) will pull him out of the gene pool.

For the other one? Sweet Zombie Jesus! That made my brain hurt. People need to @#$%ing learn that computers aren't all that and a bag of chips. That no matter what combinations that are put into the system, someone will come up with something that is not in the system. For those times human intervention and common sense are the things that will save the day (or least the transaction). You had to think "Gee! This is like..." and put that in.

It's either that or you would have to have a Point of Sale configured to ring up each ingredient individually. Which would triple the times it takes to order and pay.
                I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

"Ma'am, if you notice, this is the exact dish you ordered. My staff member put it into the system to save you $3.50 on your order. If you have a problem with how it was rung up, we can re-ring it and charge your the additional fee for your custom ordered meal."

Comment

yes, if she calls in again, put it in as she orders and let her pay the extra as a stupid charge.

yes, too bad unkie charles didn't take care of mommy first...before the child came to be.
                    look! it's ghengis khan!
                    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I remember being a waitress and just grimacing at the thought of an out of control child running into a fellow server carrying a tray of several hot plates.....oh, THEN the parents would care, if scalding hot meal and noodles and cheesecurds and a heavy plate spilled all over Little Johnny.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Reminds me of a book I read once.

Basically a man order a BLT sandwich, hold the bacon, hold the lettuce.

When he's delivered the product he goes on a rant about being served a tomato sandwich.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                          ..........and I'd like to say your icon is ADORABLE, Lach!!....
                          Heheh..thanks.

Quoth Pojodan View Post
                          Reminds me of a book I read once.
                          You sure that "book" wasn't a long post from here?

Comment

this time bumping into my coworker C, making her spill a bowl of (screaming hot) soup on the counter
                            the boy was lucky it spilled on the counter and not on him

tho i'm betting his mom would blame you for it if it happened

Comment

Working...
                            X