This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have Patience, Woman!

I've been at my new job as a front desk motel clerk for all of a week, and I've had my first annoyance during my first shift by myself. Figures

I was helping some construction workers at the desk, they were checking into their rooms. Being new, I'm still slow with the system and figuring everything out, so it was taking me a bit. While I was checking in the first room, I got a call. The lady on the phone wanted to make a reservation, but didn't want to pay the long distance charges from Canada. She wanted to know if there was a toll-free number, but the one we have goes directly to central reservations, and she wanted to handle things directly with the motel. So she gave me her number and wanted me to call her back immediately. I told her that I was helping some other guests in the lobby and that I would call her back as soon as I could.

I hung up the phone with her and went back to checking in the 2 rooms for the workers. Not 5 minutes later, she called back.

Me:
    IL: Impatient Lady

Me: Good afternoon, thank you for calling <us>, this is ExRetailDrone.
    IL: Yes, I called you a bit ago. You said that you would call me back.
    Me: I'm sorry, ma'am, but I'm still handling some guests at the desk. I will be able to call you back as soon as I'm finished with them.
    IL: I want to make a reservation and it's so expensive to call from Canada.
    Me: I understand that, ma'am, but I am currently with some other guests at the desk. As soon as I am finished with them, I will be able to call you back.
    IL: Well, how long with that take?
    Me: No more than 5 or 10 minutes.
    IL: Alright. Bye.

I finished up with the workers, and gave IL a call back. I got her voice mail

I waited about 5 minutes and tried again, finally got an answer. I got her reservation all taken care of, but she kept on asking someone in the background to answer some of the questions I was asking her. She kept chattering on at me about random things, and it just took way longer than it should have. No wonder she didn't want to foot the bill
    "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Voicemail? Oh. Hell. No. For that matter, to hell with me calling out for this lady to make a reservation. It's actually a very nice thing you did and I commend you, but my cynical self is always looking for the catch. I might also mention that you don't know this lady. If she were a scammer trying to get you to dial a very long-distance (and expensive!) number, you would've been screwed.

I'm very jaded tonight, I'll got back to my corner now.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

yah, be wary of people asking you to call unknown area codes. There are a number of them out there that are practically designed to be fraudulently used. Think 900 numbers, but operated outside of the US/Canada.

Comment

Oh, I definitely realize that there are sketchy people out there. The woman did not give me the feeling of deception, otherwise I would not have called back. And when I got the voicemail, I made sure that it was the same woman, which it was.

I probably could have handled the situation better, but I'm still so new at that place that I'm still fumbling around. The training I got wasn't as inclusive as I would like, but then again it's difficult to train someone on things like this situation which only come up rarely.
        "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

It's like a cosmic law or something: the more impatient they are about getting your call, the more likely it is you'll get their voicemail or a busy signal.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth ExRetailDrone View Post

I probably could have handled the situation better, .
            You could have handled it worse - if it was me I would have left a message for her to call you back when she had time and waited the hour or two for her to notice she had messages

Comment

Working...
            X