Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make your friendly motel staff...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make your friendly motel staff...

...loathe and despise you.

First off, a little background. The guest I am speaking of is handicapped and in an electric wheelchair, which does come into play in parts of the story. He does not have a caregiver, so needs help with certain simple things, like plugging and unplugging his wheelchair, which is all fine and good. But this guy takes it to the extreme. I have the impression that he uses his disability as an excuse to be a complete and utter EW, which I have no tolerance for. </bg>

I was there the morning after he arrived, so I got to really deal with him first. From the moment he woke up, he began calling the front desk for random things. First it was to help get his chair unplugged from the wall so he could use it. Great, no problem! I go down there and follow his instructions on how to unplug it and secure the cords. The cord that goes to the wall was no problem. Then he was telling me to unplug the white cord at the bottom, a three-prong. Well, I saw one plug that looked like he might have been talking about, but it was a black cord. I told him that's all I saw, and should I unplug that? Oh no, no, no, never unplug that one! Ok, well, that's all I see. So I go grab the head housekeeper (HH) to help me in case I was just having selective blindness or something. She didn't see any white cord, either, only the same one that I saw. So the guest asks us to turn our backs so he could climb down on the floor to point us to the correct plug. I felt horrible about this, given the circumstances. After all of that (and getting a nice view of bare ass), it turns out the cord both myself and HH were talking about was the one he meant us to unplug. Um, yeah... why give a color descriptor when the color is wrong?

He also had a pair of socks that he needed mended, and asked me if I knew a place where he could get that done. I'm fairly new in the area, and I have no clue. The girl who worked the overnight gave me one suggestion for a dry cleaner, which I told him. He then asked if I could bring the socks there to be mended Um, no, I'm the only person at the front desk, there is no way in hell I can leave.

Throughout the next 2 or so hours, he called no less than 15+ times I got breakfast put away half an hour late because he wouldn't leave me the hell alone. And it was for things that he really didn't need my help for, too, like finding numbers for places in the phone book and such. I know he can use the phone just fine, he was making a bunch of local calls, it was showing up on our phone report. Plus, I had already told him that I didn't know a whole lot about the area yet, which means I'm not much help.

I can't express how relieved I was when I saw him go out, and he didn't return before I left for the day.

Then yesterday, I worked the afternoon shift. Right as I pull into the parking lot, I see the local bus service helping someone in a wheelchair off. Great, right at the beginning of my shift. I go in and he's saying something to the owner; I don't hear what it is, but she sounds very exasperated.

I read in the communication book that apparently he asked about permanent residency and also thought that our monthly rates were too high and we should lower them. Yeah, ok, sure I asked the owner about it and she just said "Yeah, ain't gonna happen"

Throughout the evening, I got to hear about his socks at least 5 or more different times, beginning within 10 minutes of me punching in for the day. The HH, being the wonderful person she is, said that she would try to mend his socks if she had time. Well, I'm assuming she either got sick of his antics or just didn't have time, and brought them back. He couldn't find them. I called HH and she said she thought she had put them on her bed, but if he couldn't find them then she would look for them in the morning. I told him this, but that didn't stop him from bringing it up every single time he came down to the lobby, and some of the times he called the front desk I kept telling him that I understood he needed them back and they cost money and all that, but I still didn't know where they were, the HH still was going to look for them in the morning, and there was nothing I could do as I hadn't run across them in the laundry room. One time he asked if he could get compensated if they weren't found. I just told him he'd have to ask the owner as I had no authority to promise or deny such a request.

During that evening, I also had to go to his room twice to make him coffee. He apparently had spilled water trying to make it himself previously. Ok, fine, whatever. But to add to things, he called once and asked that since he drank so much coffee, could he just have me bring him one of the coffee pots from the breakfast area so I wouldn't have to keep coming down to make him coffee I told him that I couldn't do that as we needed them for breakfast in the morning. I knew that the owner would have refused him also, given the annoyance he's been during the few days he's been staying with us. He tried to use the old SC logic that "well, another hotel I stayed at let me do it". And? That hotel is not this motel, and their rules and allowances do not apply here. Oy.

And the icing on the cake; the instance that stuck out most in my mind (and my husband got to witness this as well since he stopped by to chat for a little bit): the guest came down to the front desk and was asking me about whether there was local bus service in <town about an hour south>. Having only driven through that town, I have no clue and I told him as much. Then, he decides to ask me if the motel staff could look into it for him and get back to him Seriously, dude... seriously? I know you can use the phone, I have seen you check your email, therefore you are capable of doing the same things that we would do... check the website and make some phone calls. I told him that his best option was to check whether <town> had a website and go from there. He then mentioned that maybe the chamber of commerce in <town> would know. Good job, you came to that conclusion all by yourself! I knew you could do it!

All I can say is that I am so glad that he's not staying as long as originally planned. That means that I shouldn't have to deal with him again. All this is only from 2 shifts, and it's not even everything. I don't think I could handle any more
    "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

I think this dbag raised the bar in EWishness. I can understand helping out with getting his wheelchair plugged and unplugged, but the simplest stuff is ridiculous. I bet that's why he doesn't have a caregiver. He'd drive the caregiver batshit crazy with all his inane requests.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

When he complains about the monthly cost for residency, you might mention how much non-hotels charge to rent a room with 24-hr butler service.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

God...

Im having work flashbacks reading this...

"I need my pillows fluffed."
        "Can you make me some coffee."
        "My water pitchers too far away"

Last edited by Amina516; 10-27-2010, 01:58 AM.

Comment

he doesnt need a hotel, he needs a nursing home

whats the bet that he got booted out of one already for being too needy?

Comment

I could see him in some type of assisted care facility, but demanding nursing home service. The source of his money (state disability, SS disability,?) has probably determined he does not require a full-care nursing home, but that's what he wants.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
            X