Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Which I Call 911 For The 2nd Time In My Life. (short)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Which I Call 911 For The 2nd Time In My Life. (short)

I'm on the phone with a customer who has called about his missing phone card. He is going on. and. on. and. on. I'm trying to get some information out of him, when the new guy, D, says, "What the hell, is he drunk?"

I look up. A semi regular customer, drunk to hell and beyond, has stumbled into my Aid of Rite and passed out dead in the middle of the front of the store.

Guy on phone is still droning on about the phone card and now manager A is making faces at me to get off the phone and call the cops. Customers are beginning to stare. Drunk guy promptly shits himself in his passed-out-ness. New guy D whips out his cell phone and takes photos.

Finally guy on phone gives me the info I need-his name and phone number. I wave off all attempts to get his work number, wife's cell phone, brother's landline, etc and hang up. I ask manager A to call 911, and she says, "I ain't doin' it, you're gonna call them yourself, you're next to the phone!"

So I do. I stay calm and give the operator all the info he needs. Drunk Guy wakes up briefly at one of the pharmacists talking to him, but then passes out again. The firefighters/paramedics and policeman who come in, wrinkle their noses and groan-policeman especially, once he realizes Drunk Guy has shit himself. Drunk Guy wakes up enough to tell them to fuck off but is too far gone to do much else. He's loaded on a stretcher and taken away.

Fireman comes up to us and tells us, "Eh, he's a loser-that's the 6th times we pick him up this year."
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Reminds me of an incident from my freshman year in college. This was NOT on a weekend. I went down the hall to the communal bathroom and found one of the resident drunks (we called him Detox) passed out cold on the floor, and he'd pissed his pants. Near as I can tell, he entered a stall, turned around, and that's as far as he got before passing out.

needless to say I alerted the nearest RA and Detox was hauled down to the campus health center.

Incidentally, this got one of my roommates in trouble because - unbeknownst to me - he'd chosen that time to try and smuggle some booze in and stumbled right into campus security as they were dealing with Detox.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

6th time this year? That's nothing, we had our regulars that we'd pick up at least 3 times a week. It is one thing I don't miss about being a medic, most of the other stuff I'm looking forward to getting back to doing.

Comment

I can deal with blood, even lots of blood, tissue, bones, etc. But not s**t. No. I don't have a cat because I won't do litterboxes. It was bad enough changing my kids' diapers. This is why I am not in the healthcare field. *crossing fingers*
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Hmph. You guys haven't had to clean the crap off these kinds of specimens.

When these guys end up in the ER, they get a bath. Sometimes we just wheel the stretcher into the decontamination shower (for HAZMAT stuff) and shower 'em down good, but even then you still gotta get in there with washcloths and hot soapy water.

*sigh* I can deal with any odor but the odor of poo. With most patients I'll fight to control the retch. Not with the drunks.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
            I can deal with blood, even lots of blood, tissue, bones, etc. But not s**t. No. I don't have a cat because I won't do litterboxes. It was bad enough changing my kids' diapers. This is why I am not in the healthcare field. *crossing fingers*
            Thank God I thought I was the only one who doesn't like poo. Cleaning up my own when I'm ill? I'm not crazy about it but I'll do it. Other people's? I'd need to be richly, richly, paid, in the millions of dollars.

What I'm surprised about was that cashier K SAW the guy stumble in, pass out and didn't do a thing about it-left it to me. Wtf, she's capable of calling 911 too!
            Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

I had never had to call 911 before starting my current job. 5 car accidents, several rowdy drunks and one call FROM 911 TO us later...

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                I really can't deal with much of that stuff and poo is definitely low in the totem pole there. I hear ya about the diapers man.....one kid (she's 20 now) ...ever since she was born, would hoard her poo for about 3 days and let it all out at once

I hated those days
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I had a poo smell the other day give me a migraine.

Raunchy.

Comment

Add me to the list of those who rank poo low on the joy of cleaning scale. I'd rather clean vomit, and that ranks pretty low, too.
                    Enjoy my latest stupid quest for immortality. http://1001plus.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X