This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Otaku Madness

I spent Halloween weekend at an anime convention. We were at a new hotel this year... that ever so wonderfully looked like it was flipping off Canada. This amused me. I also felt like I was in a Shadowrun game all weekend... scary creatures and the hotel was confusing as fuck.

Even though I went to the convention with the best intentions to NOT work... and I had a comp badge.... yeah, I think I put in about 30 hours, helping with lines and also with a friend (S) selling hats in the Dealer's Room.

THE UGLY:

Mismanagement on an Epic Scale

The hotel didn't believe the con when we estimated how many people were going to be attending. They literally didn't believe us no matter how many times we told them. We had more people staying in the hotel then were there when the Super Bowl was in town... and this hotel was the premiere hotel for the Super Bowl. They had just the normal amount of employees on shift. We had 8,206 paying attendees plus staff and guests and panelists and other comps. The head of the hotel (Mr Hotel Himself) was there and there are rumors that he ripped into the local hotel management for how they handled things... so at least we should see improvement next year!

Wanted: Eye Spork

People wearing spandex though should NEVER be allowed to wear spandex. And people deciding that a voluptuous character is a good reason to let their heavage roam free...

More brain bleach needed! Please! Help!

THE BAD:

ElevatorCon

People riding the elevators in the opposite direction from where they needed to go, which meant that everyone else had to wait longer for an elevator. And these same people bitching when staff told them that they can't ride the elevator down to go up... because then the poor woman in a wheelchair can't get on an elevator on the first floor. Hint to people.... bitching to staff and not listening when they're giving you orders increases your chance of being removed from the con.

This is NOT a One-Way Pillar

The same goes for you... all of you people who didn't understand when I told them that a specific hallway was one way... we had a line for the rave in the thin hallway, and we could only allow traffic in one direction because there wasn't room. Really really trying hard NOT to get shut down by the Fire Marshall, thankyouverymuch. And when I tell you that the hallway is one way and that you need to go around and I POINT where you need to go, trying to sneak around the pillar in my hallway is NOT going to work. Going around the pillar does not turn it into another hallway. If you're staff, SHOW ME YOUR BADGE instead of snarling at me and trying to push past. If you're staff, I'll let you down the hall. But when your badge is backwards and I have no fucking clue who you are, I'm going to stop you.

Traffic Jam and Other Dealer's Room Asshattery

Also, stopping in the middle of a crowded aisle in the Dealer's is going to make me frustrated. I will tell you to move. I can't get to my booth because you're blocking the way, and the woman I'm helping is swamped.

And you, sir, next time you want to put your bags down on my table and sort through your belongings... not even looking at my merch or looking at me, and not asking... yeah, you need to move. NOW.

Fellow vendor behind me... your music is so loud that I have to shout to be heard. I was already having problems because of my asthma, now I have no voice. Oh, and the migraine I had on Sunday was not helped by this either. You turned it down on Saturday when asked... so why the hell did you think it was ok to turn it back up on Sunday?

And you, Ma'am. Yes, these hats are handmade original designs. If you pay cash, it's $20 even because we don't want to deal with coins... we still pay the state sales tax, we just give you a deal and we worry about it later. If you're paying with credit, we WILL tack on the 6% sales tax because we get charged a transaction fee. And we tell you this up front. Gushing at me that $20 is an awesome price... but then turning nasty when I tell you that the total is $21.20... yeah, that's not happy-making. Actually, S & I were both flabbergasted at your response... you actually asked us if we were joking and then made a catbutt face. You'd much rather go to an ATM and pay a surcharge to take cash out than pay the $1.20 in tax. Of course, we closed up the booth 15 min later and you didn't get the hat you wanted. Sorry.

TO THE PARENTS OF...

Your preteen kid was running around, jumping into people's faces, and "humped" some girl's head, freaking her out. Security came up to me to ask me to keep an eye out. Two minutes later, the kid got into MY face. I was able to give an excellent description of the kid and he was caught in less than 10 minutes.

Please keep your spawnling under better control next time. The only reason he wasn't removed from the con was because he was a child and we handed him over to you. Next time we won't be so nice.

THE GOOD:

I'll Be Back...

Hanging out with my friends... and never being questioned about being in staff/vendor areas even though technically I didn't have a staff or vendor badge. It's nice being around people who know that I'm working my ass off and respect me for it. This is a convention that I'm willing to staff at because of that.

The hotel security and the local cops/EMTS. And the hotel maintenance and cleaning staff. They LOVED us! Hell, they were chatting with us and taking pictures of the cosplayers. We had over 9000 people in the hotel and caused next to no problems... I didn't hear of a single person arrested or anything broken in the hotel.

*Twitch* Need... another... hat....

Getting another hat. I'm slightly addicted to hats. Well, specific hats. I have a totem-pole of these specific hats.... and I still need more. If anyone ever wants to buy me a present, I can send you the website. My collection of hats is here:

Oh, and here's my wearing my newest hat:
    "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

OMG hats!!!!

must....have....bunny.....hat....

okay so where can we buy the awesome that manifests itself in hat form?
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

I really hope the ATM charge was $2.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
        OMG hats!!!!

must....have....bunny.....hat....

okay so where can we buy the awesome that manifests itself in hat form?
        LOL.... ok... link to hats is in my sig.

Some of the hats (like the apple) aren't on the site yet. And if there's a hat you like but you want it in a different color, she'll do that too... as long as it's a color she has and an existing pattern, she doesn't charge extra.

And tell her that her "biggest fan from MI" sent you.
        Last edited by Wenchie; 11-02-2010, 03:30 AM.
        "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

Were you in the hotel in the Renaissance Center? That place confused the HELL out of me when we were there.

Comment

Quoth tjay View Post
            Were you in the hotel in the Renaissance Center? That place confused the HELL out of me when we were there.
            Yup. We were in the Ren Cen. OMG the people who were freaked out about "Detroit!!!eleventy!" You're NOT going to get hurt/mugged/etc. Especially not that close to the border... there are enough cops & border patrol around to pretty much stop anything.

Comment

I love those hats!

And cons are usually full of nuts
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Pretty Wenchie!

Also...OMG OMG IS THAT A PENGUIN HAT?
                "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Quoth Eisa View Post
                  Pretty Wenchie!

Also...OMG OMG IS THAT A PENGUIN HAT?
                  yes... it's a penguin hat! It's SOOOOOOO CUTE!

Comment

Quoth Wenchie View Post
                    yes... it's a penguin hat! It's SOOOOOOO CUTE!

Sooooooooooo....where did you live again?
                    "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                    Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Quoth Eisa View Post
                      Sooooooooooo....where did you live again?
                      I live in MI, but my friend who sells the hats lives in Dallas. Website is linked in my signature.

Comment

Quoth Wenchie View Post
                        I live in MI, but my friend who sells the hats lives in Dallas. Website is linked in my signature.
                        Heh, I totally just wanted to steal borrow yours.

Damn, ALL those hats are so adorable!
                        Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Quoth Eisa View Post
                          Heh, I totally just wanted to steal borrow yours.

Damn, ALL those hats are so adorable!
                          I know... that's why I own nine so far! S calls it the totem pole of hats.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                            I really hope the ATM charge was $2.
                            Most ATM's I've been to are $1.50 charge. Still, the SC pretty much pwns herself.
                            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I want a bunny hat like yours!

Comment

Working...
                              X